Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is about my radiator.I have a leak by the top and was wondering why it only leaks when the car is running and when it's shut off the car wont leak.and to confuse you more it wont leak for two days and then all of a sudden it will leak??SO what should i do.A new rad is 75$$ and i can do it my self.is it the rad for sure.Because i think it would be a lot more easy ir i just changs it.Any sugetions any one.. Please Help.I need a cheap way.Im broke,I just spent $900.00 on brakes so that's why i need a cheap way..

·
FUSTFU
9,240 Posts
:ugh: DV? :leaving:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
you're gonna poke your eye out kid...

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
When you are running a car, the coolant system pushes coolant through the system, it builds up heat and pressure, that's why you don't open a radiator cap when the car has been running.
If it does not leak all the time when running, it could be anything from a corroded weld/connection, etc., but, it could be something as simple as a hose.
You can put a radiator under pressure to see if it is leaking.
Find a shop that repairs radiators, if you pull it, take it to them, and have them check it, and if that's it, repair it.

EDIT::::::::::::eek:r even your radiator cap. Check that, the seal, etc..

Be more specific as to what it is doing, and as much detail.
Leaking at the top of the radiator?

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
OOOHHHHHH YEAH, you can put the whole coolant system under pressure, similar to checking cylinder pressure.
I don't know about Canada, but, auto parts stores sometime have what you need to do it yourself, or take it to a shop you trust.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the help,i found arad for 75$$ and my buddy and i are going to do it.I figure it's so cheap gust for the rad,so i may as well just change it.Thanks again gthomas and jerome.Hey jerome,my bro told me the same thing.I guess it plugs the leak for a while.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well im going to change my Rad tomarrow.I cant wait for it to stop leaking.I bought all the stuff and it's about 135$$.Not bad eh.Considering it would cost about 4 to 500$$ for some one to do it.Now that's gay at how much they charge.Ill tell you guys how it turned out and if i did a good job or not.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good luck on the radiator swap, don't use that stop leak crap, it'll plug up more than you want plugged.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well guy's,she's all done.New rad and hoses.She's all pretty and it work awesome.My friend and i did it in about 3 1/2 hours.Not bad eh.I heard that stop leak is bad and if you put to much it plugs other stuff.I was surprised at how easy it was..

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Was that the problem?
My brother said he needed one, I tried to talk him into letting my friend take a look at it, he refused, I put the new one in, and took it to my friend, it was the seal of the radiator cap?
OOOHHHHH well, at least he paid for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was cracks on the side of the Rad.I guess they make the sides plastic now eh.Not good old metal any more.Now my car is leak free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.