Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question on price for \'98 GTS

OK. Here’s the hypothetical scenario:

You’re looking at two Silver/Blue 1998 GTS’s. Both have same mileage 35,000, and are in the EXACT same condition/color. Here’s the only difference: one has 17’ OEM rims, and the other has 18’ (1999-2003) OEM rims. Do you pay more/less/same for either car? How much more/less, if any? Assume the rims/tires are in the same condition as well...

You’re opinion (and simple answer) is much appreciated…. I rather not go into WHY I’m asking this question. :thumb:

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
Re: Question on price for \'98 GTS

makes very little diffance. It depends on how much the "new" owner would be willing to pay for that rim. For exsample. If I was looking at the same thing. If I didn't really like the look of the newer style of the rims. I'd go with the one with 17's. Why? Why pay a little bit more when your going to buy aftermarket rims anyway.

·
Registered
24,065 Posts

I had the option of keeping the 98 wheels on mine or going for the wheels i like better anyways.....so I did.

at the time it cost me an additional $2000. for new tires and new 18" 2000 wheels.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Here's what it comes down to: If most people would not pay $1,000 more dollars for the Viper with 18's, I will sell them and slap the 17's back on.... That seems to be the price difference in the used market between the 17's and 18's.

So maybe I should rephrase the question: Would you pay $1,000 more dollars for this hypothetical Viper with 18's vs. 17's (all else equal).

So far 1 yes, 2 no.

·
Premium Member
19,653 Posts

If you can keep both sets, then yes.

·
Premium Member
19,653 Posts

18s=Kumho's too

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sorry if I'm confusing the shit out of everyone. Let me be very specific. I OWN A '98 Silver/Blue Viper GTS. When I sell the car, the buyer will ONLY get 1 set of wheels/rims, those that are on the car. Period. Do you think the average buyer will pay $1,000 more dollars for a '98 GTS with 18' (OEM '99 up) vs. 17' stock. That is the only question I'm pondering...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

I think it's a wash... the 18's are better for some people and the 17's are better for others (like me!). Give the buyer their choice and sell the other set...

·
Registered
757 Posts

You will get more money selling the 18" rims seperately than the 17" rims. Put the 17's on the car and sell it. Ebay and classified add the 18's

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

As I suspected, it makes more sense (at least monetarily) to sell the 18's and put the 17's back on before selling the car. Sure, I could give the buyer the choice, but I'd rather not. Then you get, "I'll give you your bottom-line price, but I need both sets of wheels, etc..." I've tried things like this in the past when selling my other cars, and the potential buyers alway try and beat you up with these types of things..... I can't blame them, as I would do the same, but I don't want to deal with that when I sell the car. "Here's the car, here's the price, you either want it or you don't." The less options the better, IMO.

Thanks for everyone's input.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.