Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those with 60\'s car knowledge????

OK.
A colleague has a '65 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Ragtop w/ 56K Original miles. Original Owner and always garaged.

According to him, there is some rust on the body, but the engine purrs and the block/drive train is in excellent shape. Same with the interior and other peripherals.

I'm trying to do some research to find out what it is worth. He's given what seems like an excellent price on it as he has finally decided to part with it because he is pushing 70 and needs to start downsizing.

This may be a hunk a shit or it may be one of those rare finds.
Anyone have any insight? I am going over to check it out next weekend. I'll have more info and pics by then. Just hoping to get some initial info so I can haggle more effectively.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,790 Posts
Re: Question for those with 60\'s car knowledge????

Usually with older cars that do not have a lot of aftermarket support...a restoration will cost you a lot more.

Unless it is some rare model (not sure if it is) I would say depending on condition it's only worth 4000.00 or less.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

That's what I'm finding out in a hurry this morning.
However, I think it's saving grace may be the convertible and its 394 CID V8.
There is a '64 that is identical to it at DealsonWheels.Com listed at roughly $16K. That one has been restored, but that is about 8X what my colleague is asking!

I don't know. I think it'd be pretty neat to buy a cheap convertible from the '60s. If it's in good shape, I may just give it to my dad. He just bought a place in Florida and hasn't owned a "nice" car since he sold his '66 Mustang for a pinto and a fairlane back in '71 when he got married.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

If you can get that convertible for $2,000.... buy it.

Just about any 1960's american made convertible is going to bring mid-teens restored.

Last year I bought a 1969 Ford XL GT convertible for my Mom... (she had always wanted a baby blue convertible).... I paid $3,200 for the car.... put a cheap paint job on it so it would look nice to her......

When she passed away in September I sold the car for $5,500. About $1,800 more than I had in the car.

If I had put a full resto on it... I could have easily sold for $15,000 to $18,000.

Check the floors for rust..... and the lower quarter panels... especially if the car is native to Ohio. Any sheetmetal could be replaced by a competent body man.. the difficult part might be soft items like carpet and upholstery!

Sounds like a neat find...... I always liked the mid-60's Oldsmobile.

Good luck and post pictures.

·
Registered
331 Posts

If it only has minor rust (very small amount) it easily worth $2-3 thousand if it runs okay and the interior isn't in shredded.

Any convertible in decent drivable condition from the 60 will bring that at a minimum. The nicer the condition, the more it's worth.

There are probably some Olds Forums online you could find info about them on too.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks Guys.

He is asking precisely $2K.
Says all the interior and ragtop are in pristine condition.
Sounds like I could put a little work into the body and have a nice ride and even make a little on the side if I ever sold it.

I'll post pics after I check it out this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts