Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as to why everyone is going twin turbo on the Viper, and not with an huge single turbo?....id like to know the reasons for this just because the Supra guys seem to have found the big single route is the way to go....same with us Mustang guys(started out with everyone doing twins but now everyone is finding the big singles are better)....

....i dont mean this as an attack in anyway, or an attempt to try and say i know more about Viper tuning than any of you guys just a serious question...

Anthony

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
VIPERn94FIVE0 said:
I'm just curious as to why everyone is going twin turbo on the Viper, and not with an huge single turbo?....id like to know the reasons for this just because the Supra guys seem to have found the big single route is the way to go....same with us Mustang guys(started out with everyone doing twins but now everyone is finding the big singles are better)....

....i dont mean this as an attack in anyway, or an attempt to try and say i know more about Viper tuning than any of you guys just a serious question...

Anthony
Anthony, You are asking a very good/natural question. I am planning on doing a single turbo and have figured out exactly how to do it. I am just going to finish up my big twin setup first. The properly sized single turbo will be awesome on a stock motor for about 800 RWHP and slightly more torque. One thing that is a little more challenging for the single turbo is the fact that the size of the intake and exhaust piping and the radius of a 4" on 4" exhaust and the 5" on 5" inlet is not easy to squeeze into the Viper engine compartment. I already have a mockup single turbo on order to start to calculate and index the exact fitment of all associated plumbing.

There will be no lag with the single turbo and 8 liters/10 exhaust pulses spooling that bad boy all the time.

The other good thing about the single turbo is the fact that it can make equal power to the smaller twin setups but be more cost effective for the customer. I have several people lined up for the winter months to do the single turbo. Compared to what I have done on my car, this will be simple as can be.

P.S. I have also designed my twin turbo setup to have the flexibility of using a pair of turbos the size of the single (give or take) singles in place of my twins depending on how things go. The twins I am using so far are only the starting point.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i never thought about the way the manifold is on the Viper....is the Viper intake manifold seperated into an upper and lower???...the reason i ask that is, in real high horsepower applications in say a Mustang 5.0...since the intake manifold is 2 pices an upper and a lower many tuners will build a "box" upper manifold with a custom location for the throttle body. Now i know this would be different on a Viper since it has 2 but i think it could be done....of course you would lose the cool as hell looking intake manifold the Viper has...but that IMO is a loss worth taking for some serious horsepower...

Anthony

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
VIPERn94FIVE0 said:
yeah, i never thought about the way the manifold is on the Viper....is the Viper intake manifold seperated into an upper and lower???...the reason i ask that is, in real high horsepower applications in say a Mustang 5.0...since the intake manifold is 2 pices an upper and a lower many tuners will build a "box" upper manifold with a custom location for the throttle body. Now i know this would be different on a Viper since it has 2 but i think it could be done....of course you would lose the cool as hell looking intake manifold the Viper has...but that IMO is a loss worth taking for some serious horsepower...

Anthony
Anthony, the Viper intake manifold is separated into right and left banks. The outlet from the intercooler would just Y into each throttle body. :thumb:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, well i didnt know that....so that would work....has anyone done a box type manifold for the Viper yet??...i think it may give some benefits, at least in the high horsepower boosted cars anyways....it would probably take quite a bit of R&D though...and probably cost a pretty penny as well since it would be a 1-off...

Anthony

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
I worked on a turbo neon where we did that. We made a intake using the lower half then made a "sheet metal box" for the upper part. granted this thing was running very large 25g turbo (for a 2.4L 4cyl...that's huge.) tubo lag sucked and ended up using a 50 shot of NO2 to get the thing to spool quickly. Tuning...was a bitch. But it was a 9sec neon...hehehe.

I'd love to see a stock block viper with 800rwhp. Would a stock bottom end take that kind of power. I'm sure us "cream puff guys" couldn't pull off that kind of power. If memory serves right, were stuck at about 650hp or so.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Look for Heffner's thread on the AEM. I think they made over 900 rwhp and almost 1100 rwtq on a STOCK engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts