Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have the B&M short throw shifter installed. It gives me the option of keeping my old shifter shaft, or I can go with theirs which is considerably shorter. If I opt to keep my old shaft that comes on my car (2002 GTS FE), will I notice a considerable decrease in the amount of movement it takes to shift, or will I only notice real improvement if I use their supplied, really short shaft?

Second question -

If I use the really short supplied shaft, will it be really hard to put into 5th and 6th gear because I have lost leverage, or are the short throw shifter actually made where that will not become an issue?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Its easy enough to try both, but I have the b&m shaft and like it fine. Some have said though that if your a 1/4 mile guy you might want the stock one for more leverage.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have tried both, and the short shift shaft helps to make you really notice the short shift, using the stock one, seems to make you feel like you received little benefit from the B&M, as it does little to minimize throw. But the stock one DOES absorb some of the vibrations, but the B&M one does not, as its made out of stainless steal.

I have the B&M shifter, the short shaft (personal problem, lol), and an MGW shift knob. And after that, I even lowered my short shaft even more, by copying what WestCoast Viper offers for a shorter then that shaft.

Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
k guys i need some help over here. I just installed a Hurst short throw ( P4510168) in my 2005 viper. Now the problem I am having is I cannot get into second gear. It actually feels like the clutch isnt engaging in this gear because it makes a grinding noise when trying to put it in gear (as if i didnt even push the clutch down). I called hurst and they said maybe I installed it backwards, which i didnt. When the car is stopped I can get it in every gear. I took it apart and then put it back together again and still having the same problem (im stumped). please help any suggestions??

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
k guys i need some help over here. I just installed a Hurst short throw ( P4510168) in my 2005 viper. Now the problem I am having is I cannot get into second gear. It actually feels like the clutch isnt engaging in this gear because it makes a grinding noise when trying to put it in gear (as if i didnt even push the clutch down). I called hurst and they said maybe I installed it backwards, which i didnt. When the car is stopped I can get it in every gear. I took it apart and then put it back together again and still having the same problem (im stumped). please help any suggestions??

Steal a gun, open your mouth slightly, then insert the barrel so it points up to the roof of your mouth, then pull the trigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts