Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that in MOST Esprits the steering wheel is a light grey when the interior is dark black. Now, I know not all Esprit interiors are black, so that brings me to my question. I have noticed that some are black (very few) in other color interiors on the Esprits, but very few are black on the black interior. Anyone know why this is or why very few are black period on nay color interior and why the light grey color?

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping he would see this post. Oh Max, where are you? /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
The grey steering wheel found on Esprits from 1990-2003 was sourced out from the GM parts bin. It is actually a wheel from a 3rd generation firebird. The overall outside was not changed from the firebird, save for the words "Lotus" imprinted on the grey plastic cover. It is imitation leather, but it is hand stitched :rolleyes:

They use this *ugly* grey wheel on all US production 90 and up cars. They had to use this wheel because of the SRS requirements in the late 80s/early 90s. Since GM had already provided the ECU and many of the cars sensors, the (ill)logical thing was to use that ugly ass airbag wheel.

The cars that you see with black wheels are Euro cars. They do not have the airbag requirements, and thus get the very pretty MOMO wheel. However, this wheel was made just for Lotus by MOMO, and thus cannot be purchased anywhere but Lotus. And it's expensive... like 700$ for the wheel. You CAN adapt other wheels, such as Nardi and the like to the esprit hub. This requires that you use a grant hub PN 4509 and use an adaptor to the bolt pattern of the wheel you want to use. I have a 13" wheel with 2" spacer on my car (which came equipped with a non-airbag nardi wheel) to help give it a bit more modern look and also leg room.

The SRS wheel is one of the major eyesores of the esprit interior. All nicely piped English leather and hand stitched work, interrupted by this ugly gray plastic thing with the CHEAPEST horn switches known to man right smack in the middle.

Hope this helps

MM

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MM! :thumb: I have always thought that grey wheel was ugly as hell, especially when its put in the lighter colored interiors. You would think that if your going to spend $80k+ on a car, it would atleast have a nice MATCHING steering wheel. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif Oh well, I still really like the Esprits. I happen to catch a Yellow 30(35?)th Anniversary Edition Esprit sitting a parking lot near where I work not long ago and DAMNIT, that car is FINE!! /images/graemlins/headbang.gif I never realized how low they are to the ground until I saw one in person. And that yellow is BRITE! VERY flashy yellow, I like it. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif I wouldnt mind having one of those parked next to a Viper in the garage. MM, have you seen the orange color they have on the new Esprits? I would love to see that color. I like all of the colors they have on the new Esprits (paint seems to very good quality and brite), but the ornage and yellow appeal to me the most.

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Its such a nice car too. I wonder if they will bring out something to replace it?

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerome said:
AUSTIN said:
I know. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Its such a nice car too. I wonder if they will bring out something to replace it?
04 Elise hits our shores

04 last year for current car.(Esprit)

New Esprit should be here by 07

As per Autoweek
Do they have a pic of what it MIGHT look like?

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
Esprit technically ends with the 2003 1/2 cars. Only 75 left to produce.

Only real differences is the adjustable shocks, and the cheese-slicer (as opposed to the cheese grater style. This one has slits, the other has holes) on the exhaust pan. There will be plaques on the last few cars. Call down to LCU and ask for Clyde. Ask him what the differences are /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The car is dead due to the lack of R25 transaxles. I hope they find a replacement (audi is rumored) and keep the esprit alive, with or without body change.

And yes, and Esprit is LOW. When you sit in it, you are on the ground. Even more so than a Viper. The seats only have about 1/2" or so height off the pan, so your eye level with most cars bumpers. I kid you not... you will be looking dead into the center of a crown vics bumper on the road.

MM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts