Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab

If a Dodge Ram pickup — complete with 500 horsepower courtesy of the Dodge Viper SRT-10 engine — is good, a Viper-powered Ram with four doors is even better.

Following on the success of the Dodge Ram SRT-10 regular cab pickup, Dodge introduces the Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab, targeted directly at the truck enthusiast who wants SRT performance in a pickup with room for the family and towing capacity.

"We knew when we came out with the world's fastest production pickup that there would be customers who would want that same ultimate performance, but in a pickup that offered four-passenger seating and towing capability," said Dan Knott, Director — Street and Racing Technology (SRT). "So, the question was, 'Can we create a more usable truck for the person who wants to haul more stuff, but is not willing to give up performance?' Our answer is the Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab: a truck that is just as bad and bold in terms of performance, but a little more capable and versatile in terms of hauling."

Beginning with a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab as a starting point, SRT engineers worked their magic with the kind of goodies that have enthralled Dodge Ram SRT-10 owners from day one: Viper V-10 power, a performance suspension, world-class brakes, bold performance styling and a race-inspired interior.

The only logical choice to power the world's ultimate performance four-door pickup: the 8.3-liter Dodge Viper V-10 engine, unleashing 500 horsepower and 525 lb.-ft. of torque. The engine is backed up by a four-speed automatic transmission — a 48RE gearbox, specially adapted from a diesel engine application for its ability to handle monster amounts of torque. A heavy-duty torque converter, custom transmission calibration and two-piece drive shaft were also specifically chosen for overall powertrain integrity and performance. Additionally, the Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab was fitted with a 4.56 gear ratio to improve launch feel, low-end acceleration and towing capability of up to 7,500 pounds.

While brute power and straight-line performance are high on the list of any performance enthusiast, every SRT vehicle must also perform throughout a dynamic range — from neighborhood grocery runs to blasts through twisting and winding roads.

To give the Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab the right balance and poise through a wide variety of driving scenarios, SRT engineers began with a fully hydroformed frame as the basis for strength and rigidity. From there, the Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab was fitted with fully-tuned front and rear strut and spring assemblies. Up front, modified steering and independent front suspension carry the load, while in the rear, axle snubbers, performance-tuned springs and Bilstein monotube shocks keep things firmly planted through the corners.

Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab's braking system was designed by SRT engineers, utilizing heavy-duty Dodge Ram components and unique four-pot opposed-piston calipers that are new for 2005. A three channel anti-lock braking system (ABS) actuates new custom red brake calipers up front that grip 15-inch rotors, and in the rear, modified heavy-duty red calipers grip 14-inch rotors. Front brakes are cooled with air ducted from the front fascia to reduce heat build-up.

Featuring cues reminiscent of Dodge's NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Ram — such as the deep front fascia equipped with a wind splitter, signature cross-hair grille and sculpted sides — the Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab features a unique hood with a fully functional air intake that provides added bay cooling. A body-color aluminum tonneau cover, outfitted with a unique spoiler for aerodynamic balance, is standard.

Performance cues inside the Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab include the Viper-like pushbutton starter, race-inspired, grippy and heavily bolstered seats, a leather-wrapped carbon fiber-patterned steering wheel and brushed metal accents on the instrument panel and door trim panels.

[image]http://dtw.truckmoxie.com/gallery/ThunderHemi/143650.jpg[/image]

[image]http://dtw.truckmoxie.com/gallery/ThunderHemi/143652.jpg[/image]

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Wow, 15 inch brakes up front!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
the club cab just makes it look so blah.

7500 lb towing capacity ain't shit either.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Its still only a 1/2 ton to keep weight down too........

My V10 4x4 Viper (1998 V10 quad cab long bed 3/4 ton Ram) is 6300 pounds curb weight, hauls a 4500 pound truck camper, AND tows a big trailer so I'm 15,000 pounds rolling down the road......

So I agree........7500 pounds towing ain't shit......half ton truck getting the dog wagged by the tail...

Still the SRT would be a fun ride to have!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It's a shame they don't make an extended cab version anymore. While I like the idea of having a little more room than a regular cab, the quad cab is a little bit too much, plus the short bed makes it look a little funky overall.

Still a good move I guess, because it will open the door to more buyers.

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
I don't understand why iss the current SRT truck rated at zero towing capacity? Can't be the engine, is the tranny that weak?

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
7500 pounds may not be an impressive towing number, but it is undoubtedly a useful number.

Besides, who the hell would buy one of these based on tow capacity?

That's like bitching about a Viper not having cup holders.
Instead, you should be happy it finally comes with a stereo and AC.

I used my 2001 Heavy Duty 4x4 V10 Ram to drag a grand total of 21,000 pounds through the mountains of Tennessee to the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion, but it's a 6870 lb pig in terms of acceleration and handling. So what? It tows a lot. That's what it's for, so I'm happy with it.

·
Irredeemable
9,343 Posts
easily pull an open trailer. Now what will the Silverado SS have to brag about? /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Mark O said:
I don't understand why iss the current SRT truck rated at zero towing capacity? Can't be the engine, is the tranny that weak?
The 46re and 47re are shitty and the valve bodies go. Don't know about the 48re. It is used in some 3/4 ton diesels though.

Mabe its the 1/2 axle and suspension.

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
So, what is the comparison between a Viper motor and a Cummins turbodiesel? Wouldn't the turbodiesel have the ready capability to be as fast (with very slight modifications)?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Schillinger said:
So, what is the comparison between a Viper motor and a Cummins turbodiesel? Wouldn't the turbodiesel have the ready capability to be as fast (with very slight modifications)?
I'm just saying the Cummins High Output (in 03/04) had 555 ft-lb of torque. Originaly that engine only came with the heavy duty manual NV5600. In 04 they offered the high output with an automatic, the 48re which was to be stronger than the previous 3/4 ton auto the 47re. In that sense, it should be fine for the srt v-10.

With a computer, exhaust, etc. guys are still burning out the clutches in the 48re. But that is usually with a diesel pushing around 800 ft-lb or torque.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Isn't that NV5600 a six-speed?

My V10 only has the NV4500HD (4.10 rear) and I'd kill for another gear. I wonder if the 5600 could be made to work?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Lucifer said:
McGuireV10 said:
Wow, 15 inch brakes up front!
I noted that as well, hoping they move them over to the regular cab as well. /images/graemlins/smiles
:kick:

those are the same brakes as on the regular cab SRT-10 Ram, They have always had 15" front rotors.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mxblue23 said:
:kick:

those are the same brakes as on the regular cab SRT-10 Ram, They have always had 15" front rotors.
"unique four-pot opposed-piston calipers that are new for 2005." I was meaning to refer to this, didn't feel the need to edit. Go play with your Dakota. :fist:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
Isn't that NV5600 a six-speed?

My V10 only has the NV4500HD (4.10 rear) and I'd kill for another gear. I wonder if the 5600 could be made to work?
Yes, the 5600 is a six speed. I have an 03 Cummins HO with the NV5600 and it is a nice stronge trany. Only problem is with my 4.10 rear, its like driving a dump truck. You have to shift every 10ft. But you can easily start out in third without a load.

I'm sure the 5600 could be made to work in place of the NV4500, the question is how much would need to be changed. The NV5600 is alot bigger than the NV4500.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
There's quite a lot of room under there. I was thinking more in terms of bolt patterns, lining up the shifter, and all those fun issues.

I'm actually thinking about changing to a smaller gear. We sold our boat last year so now the only thing I tow regularly is the Viper, which is less than half the weight. No good reason to have a 4.10 that I can see.

Bah. I'm starting to sound like MadMaxx. Too many projects... /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
That's a nice truck, picture it in the right color. I was hoping they would do it in the quad cab. I should have waited :pissed: The extra ponies would have been nice! There's always next year.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
There's quite a lot of room under there. I was thinking more in terms of bolt patterns, lining up the shifter, and all those fun issues.

I'm actually thinking about changing to a smaller gear. We sold our boat last year so now the only thing I tow regularly is the Viper, which is less than half the weight. No good reason to have a 4.10 that I can see.

Bah. I'm starting to sound like MadMaxx. Too many projects... /images/graemlins/smiles
I agree, plenty of room. I'm just referring to bolt patterns, transfer case positioning, etc. too. The service department of a good Dodge dealer should be able to answer the question.

You should be able to easily tow a viper with any gear ratio. Good luck on you project. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts