Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi [color:green]Everybody[/color],

I'm new in this forum and my first question will be ...
What are the pros and cons for RT/10 models ???

I don't own a [color:red]Viper[/color] presently but I'm looking to buy a used one this year.
That's why I need your opinions to make the good choice.

Thanks !
[color:blue]Mike[/color]
(note that my primary language is French so I'll try to do my best to write a good English)

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I went through this myself "ad nauseum" before I purchased an RT...

Pros: can take top off (it's exceptional with the top off so climate had a lot to do with my decision)

Cons: limited stereo space (if that's a concern, it is to some, but not all)

Looks are subject to opinion

those are really the only major differences. Youll find more differences within the years of production rather than the diff between gts and rt's....it's kinda obvious.

Other than that, they're virtually identical. This probably didn't help, but I think you'll find it to the be the "general" consensus

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
If you are a people person, then you want an RT/10, and to drive topless. If you have the looks of a cave troll, you might want to stick with a GTS.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
And of course if you wanna get chicks....then the RT...that's why Slaughter got one...he wasn't a sexual tyrannosaur until he got the RT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are so funny !
Thanks for your comments.

I'm not looking like a cave troll ... but something between that and one of these, let's say, "women-attracting-male-movie-and-pop-rock-stars".

Now regarding the RT, what would be the things to look at before buying one.
I mean known problems, frequent defects/bugs, ...

Thanks again !
Mike :burn:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
What is a sexual Tyrannosaur? Kind of like a gimp with no arms and scaly leasions all over his privates? hhmm? :leaving:

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
Mike, what is your price range? What will you be doing with it--daily driving, weekend driving, racing (what kind).

The R/Ts and the GTSs are functionally identical at speeds below 140 mph. Differences above that speed are due to aerodynamics. The cars have the same drivetrain. There are differences between years; you can use your search function here are at Viperclub.org to find those.

[Edit] Stick with an R/T that is 1998 or higher (1997s are fine, but you won't find one due to rarity); for GTSs 1996 on up is fine.

Buy one with a hard top.

The hard top is a pain in the ass to take off/put on, and the soft top is even worse. If that concerns you, get an SRT (2003 and up), which is a full convertible. They'll run you low sixties (US) on up, however.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
mike_dodge_viper said:
You guys are so funny !
Thanks for your comments.

I'm not looking like a cave troll ... but something between that and one of these, let's say, "women-attracting-male-movie-and-pop-rock-stars".

Now regarding the RT, what would be the things to look at before buying one.
I mean known problems, frequent defects/bugs, ...

Thanks again !
Mike :burn:

Mike
The biggest difference you need to know is that the early R/T 10's do not come with windows and some do not come with a/c. 1996 r/t 10 and older, do not come with windows (you can buy detachable windows). That is the major differences. If you get a R/T 10 or a GTS in the same production year (except for 96, for reason above) there is little or no difference. It comes down to looks. I like the R/T 10 much better. I chose the 96 because it was the last year of the gen 1 and gen 1 make more low end torque with modifications.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Gerald said:
What is a sexual Tyrannosaur? Kind of like a gimp with no arms and scaly leasions all over his privates? hhmm? :leaving:
Got one at home, do you?

Perhaps you've never seen the movie The Predator?

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
As for the RT/10, 92-95 are known as Gen Is, 96 is an intermediate design year, known as Gen 1.5, and 97-02 are known as Gen IIs. Gen Is are known to have a head gasket problem that costs a couple grand to fix once they go - many are fine and/or have been fixed though. Gen Is have side pipes, the rest don't. Gen Is and 1.5 don't have real windows, more like Jeep windows (1.5, slightly different). Gen Is have 400 HP, Gen 1.5s 415 HP, gen IIs 450 HP, though all are typically underrated. Gen II considerations:

96 had some bad rims
96-97 had most aggressive cam, forged pistons
96-98 had 17" wheels
98-99 aggressive cam, forged pistons
98-02 had lighter exhaust manifold and keyhole alarm shutoff
99-02 had 18" wheels, power mirrors
00-02 less aggressive cam, cast pistons
01-02 had ABS

Just a few things off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
there are NO cons to an RT10 only to the unimaginative.

regarding a stereo; just takes some cash and ingenuity but a goos system can be done, i did it!

driving down the road with the wind and sun uninterupted by a roof on the car; nothing like it especially in a viper.

plus, nothing like having a nine second RT10 too :D

besides what ive mentioned above, the only other con to an RT10 is waaaay too many women attracted to it, and damn that just sucks being bothered by hot young girls :D

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Man is everyone in a good mood today!

Noobie Mike...if you want some serious advice, you'll need to narrow down you purchase parameters. The differences between an coupe and roadster are obvious.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
V10 MOJO said:
there are NO cons to an RT10 only to the unimaginative.

regarding a stereo; just takes some cash and ingenuity but a goos system can be done, i did it!

driving down the road with the wind and sun uninterupted by a roof on the car; nothing like it especially in a viper.

plus, nothing like having a nine second RT10 too :D

besides what ive mentioned above, the only other con to an RT10 is waaaay too many women attracted to it, and damn that just sucks being bothered by hot young girls :D

I'll second that emotion... :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all for your comments ... and humor.

So, in conclusion, RT is a perfect car. No transmission nor gasket(except for Gen Is) problems, no oil leak, etc ... unlike other Chrysler cars !!!

If some of you know somebody in Quebec Province (I'm located in Quebec city) having one for sale, please advise.

Have a nice day !
Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is for sale if your interested in a Supercharged one...675RWHP..661RWTQ..No expense spared..truly a one of kind...Its in the classifeds here on the alley and in the VCA forum and dupont as well..

regards
Adam

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
DLM96 SC said:
Mine is for sale if your interested in a Supercharged one...675RWHP..661RWTQ..No expense spared..truly a one of kind...Its in the classifeds here on the alley and in the VCA forum and dupont as well..

regards
Adam
He can't bring a 96 RT/10 into canada.

Being in quebec, get a GTS, yes the RT is nice when it's hot and sunny which is about 60 days of the year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Adam: Thanks for your offer but what I'm looking for is an "unmodified" RT ... and my wife absolutely wants a convertible ;-)

Craig201MPH: Even in Quebec we can drive an RT. You are right saying that we have about 60 sunny days, but the extreme heat inside the cockpit makes it possible to drive topless in cloudy days and a couple of weeks (if not months) more than any other roadster (except maybe the new SLK !?!?!?).

Mike :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.