Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Price for turbo'ing Viper vs Supra

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  ixlr82 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Re: Price for turbo\'ing Viper vs Supra

And it is already a turbo car, built to run boost, etc, etc. Same reason the Mustang Cobras are so cheap to go fast. They are just waiting for a little more boost.

And don't forget, once you start talking the cost to run certain ET's (for us drag racers), the costs are much more in line as the Supras require tons of upgrades to put the power to the ground. There are several 800 horse Supras in my area that run mid to high elevens.

Matt, that is the best avatar, bar none.

Chad

#4 ·

Manny, also keep in mind that in order to get 1000 rwhp you need many more supporting mods. To name a few if you want to be reliable:
Pistons
Rods
Springs/Retainers
Head porting/polishing
Oversize valves
Fuel system
Engine management (AEM)
Intake Manifold
Front Mount Intercooler
Boost Controller
Exhaust
Blow off valves
Guages
Labor for all the above
Etc...
It's not as cheap as you think. Now getting to 700 rwhp is pretty cheap, but once you start hitting the 850 rwhp + category, it starts getting expensive. A lot of the supra guys are cheap, and don't build the car properly, if you want to do it right, all the supporting hardware and labor costs would prolly be around $17k
Peter

#7 ·

Gary, not sure what you mean... I've never rebuilt mine, and i've been running 950 rwhp in my cars for 1.5 years now...
Moundir, you're right, 17k is still pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. My point was is that it's not only a $7k turbo kit, it's much more.
Peter

#9 ·

Jeff, thanks bud... I run 31 psi (settles at redline and spikes to about 35 psi when boost comes on) and on boost only make around 1050 rwhp. I sprayed a 70 NX shot to achieve the 1132 rwhp number.
As far as how much boost I can safely run... I only run C16 in my car (not b/c I have to, but b/c i want to, it's an added safety measure) and 99.9999999% of the time run around making about 800-850 rwhp. I keep the boost down to about 20-22 psi and NEVER use the nitrous (more accurately I should say RARELY use nitrous). I can run up to 40 psi or so on the C16 (remember, we have 8.5:1 compression). Up until I built the bottom end, I was prolly limited to "safely" running around at 850-900 rwhp (stock rods are the weak link and usually let go around 800+ rwtq) Now, I have the carillo rods and CP pistons, so longevity and build is no longer an issue (although i've never blown a motor - knock on wood - I know that I was close to the limit at around 950 rwhp and 820 rwtq on my stock bottom end, that is why my motor is fully built now).
Peter

#11 ·

Yellow Fever said:
It amazes me how much BOOST you SUPRA guys can run /images/graemlins/shocked ..Excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is C16 ?? Is that some kind of Race Fuel ?

:cheers:
Jeff, I believe C16 is 117 octane race fuel from VP Fuels.

#12 ·

Manny_C said:
Yellow Fever said:
It amazes me how much BOOST you SUPRA guys can run /images/graemlins/shocked ..Excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is C16 ?? Is that some kind of Race Fuel ?

:cheers:
Jeff, I believe C16 is 117 octane race fuel from VP Fuels.
I'd go broke using that stuff ! If you add race fuel without pulling timing out of your car do you still see a gain in HP over 91 Octane ??

#13 ·

Jeff, C16 is indeed 117 octane leaded race fuel... It is costly, at about $7/gallon. Keep in mind I only put about 100 miles/month on my car! /images/graemlins/smiles

We are limited as to how much boost we can run on pump gas (here it's 93). The most boost I could run on pump is around 18 psi (which is about 650 rwhp or so). We can't run more b/c the motor will detonate. We run more octane to keep the motor from detonating. I run very conservative timing on my car, more conservative than stock (just to be on the safe side). You will see a gain in rwhp over pump gas only if you're detonating and the computer is pulling timing (safety feature). In that case, yes, without any changes, we'll pick up power using race gas over pump gas. Race gas itself burns hotter and slower, so theoretically, we won't pick up any power if the motor isn't detonating.
Peter

#14 ·

Peter, have you ever run that beast down the 1/4? I am sure the mph would be sick. I am sure you have bruised a few egos out there on the streets, have anyone even come close in giving you a good run?
Ron

#15 ·

RSI, believe it or not, I have not even driven the car since the TX2K4 - Supra Nationals in March. It's been a combination of being too busy and the car being in Austin getting some more goodies (TRD rear end, different crankcase vent system, Jet Hot coating on my DP-MP, etc...) and when it was here I was just too busy with work. I raced my other cars on the street quite often and was never beat by any car (not saying that there aren't faster street cars out there, I just never ran into one). One car did run pretty even with me (when I had my 850 rwhp SAE corrected white supra), it was a local firebird, running 19 psi through a blower, built and stroked motor, and a 200+ shot of NOS. On the highway, that thing was a BEAST! I also got beat by a turbo Hayabusa when I had my black 95 (making around 700 rwhp, which was 3 years ago). I will take this car out and have fun with it on the street and the strip (I plan on taking it to RCR soon and possibly the standing mile). I've only been to a drag strip once in my life and NEVER on slicks/skinnies, so it's gonna be a learning experience for me...
Peter

#16 ·

Let me know when you head out to RCR, I would love to see that car in person. Hope you have a cage in it, because RCR just got very strict with safety rules.
Ron

#17 ·

RSI - really??? Damn, no, I don't have a cage and don't plan on hacking up my car to put one in. I know the owner of RCR very well and when I go we'll rent the track, so it'll be a private session (you are welcome to come if you wish).
Peter

#18 ·

I thought about buying a supra when I got my viper. But I just decided i wanted the viper instead. They really are great cars. I drove a friends it was making about 700hp. It was fast but the turbo lag made it feel like a civic driving arould at slower speeds. But it sure was fun once you got past about 4000-4500rpm.

For anyone who says it's just another rice burner...you need to be kicked in the head.

#19 ·

Peter, appreciate the offer, We are planning to rent the track too, as soon as my buddies 850rwhp LS1 is ready. I will keep you posted on the date, you are more than welcome to join the festival. I believe that the safety issues are ignored on a private session, and I feel the same way about hacking up the car.
Tanked, you are right, the Supra is in a league of its own, pitty that some still consider it a rice burner. The Supra has always been ahead of its time, even today the body style could be consider a 2003 or 04. They are just beautiful cars. :clap:

#22 ·

That would be fun to watch that session.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.