Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It can't be said too often: check and tighten down those power steering caps!

A friend of mine here in Jax (doesn't post on the boards) came home from an evening of driving around town with some other Viper guys. Luckily he habitually lets the car cool down outside before garaging it. He smelled something funny from the kitchen, and when he walked outside he found the front of his Viper in flames.

The car isn't totaled, but the damage is fairly extensive. Imagine what could have happened if he'd parked it in the garage, then went to the other end of the house.

I'm really surprised none of the vendors have dreamed up some kind of retaining clip to hold that cap on. I lost mine the last time I was at Sebring, and I check it regularly -- even throughout the day at the track.

I'm also really surprised Dodge hasn't done a recall on this -- like they just did for the friggin' PT Cruiser power steering hoses.

Don't let this be you:

[image]http://www.mindmagma.com/viper/vca/OnFire1.JPG[/image]
[image]http://www.mindmagma.com/viper/vca/OnFire2.JPG[/image]
[image]http://www.mindmagma.com/viper/vca/MarcD1.JPG[/image]

·
Registered
920 Posts
never suffered with loose caps, but I put the hippo item on a while back for extra piece of mind, works well, easy to fit, looks good to and no viper tax

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Craig201MPH said:
Believe it or not, other people are also named Craig. :bonk:

If I recall correctly, this guy was one of the windbreakers in the morgue meltdown, emerging from perma-lurk to chant loudly in favor of the mass bannings. For what it's worth. Which isn't much, I'll grant.

$45.99 at Archer. For a metal tube? Ouch. Love that Viper Tax.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
Craig201MPH said:

If I recall correctly, this guy was one of the windbreakers in the morgue meltdown, emerging from perma-lurk to chant loudly in favor of the mass bannings. For what it's worth. Which isn't much, I'll grant.

You mean I'm not the only one??? Holy crap!

·
Registered
19,640 Posts
After reading all the fire posts - I think I'll be picking up that cap and a small extinguisher to tuck down in the spare tire compartment...

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
How many real PS cap fires have occurred? Based on what I've read (web) I'm surprised that there wasn't a recall.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Confrontational said:
After reading all the fire posts - I think I'll be picking up that cap and a small extinguisher to tuck down in the spare tire compartment...
Most people just mount them under the pasenger seat.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CitySnake said:
How many real PS cap fires have occurred? Based on what I've read (web) I'm surprised that there wasn't a recall.
I only personally know of three.

The first big one (which is where those pix came from), the one on Friday, and about a year ago on another Viper we were driving around town with (we were standing next to the car, so we put it out quickly, mostly smoke and no flame).

I have to think there must be more, though...?

And many stories of the caps coming off are easy to find, even on cars like mine where the owner checks it frequently.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Craig201MPH said:
McGuireV10 said:
Craig201MPH said:

You mean I'm not the only one??? Holy crap!
You're the only one affectionately loved on the Alley, just ignore McGuire. :thumb:

just giving you a hard time Mcguire. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Confrontational said:
Glen I have an extra Hipo Kit if you want it..I purchased the kit before I received my car not knowing that it already had one.

PM me if you want it.

:cheers:

Jeff

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi guys, I make the HiPo Engineering Power Steering Vent Tube. It serves a couple functions. Most importantly it stops the cap from turning. Another big benefit is that it allows another inch that fluid would need to get up to leak out. This is great if you track your Viper or think you are on the street. If fluid did somehow make it out it would exit at the bottom of the tube, below the reservoir, instead of on your headers.

It is in nickel finish for a stock look and chrome for posers.

It is currently sold through Archer Racing and are at ViperDays events. I worked out a deal with Sean and Dave at Roe Racing last week. They probably received a shipment of tubes today. They will be $29.99 through them Dave said. 1-866-ask-sean.

·
Registered
533 Posts
McGuireV10, Are those your photos above? I was told they were an old member who doesn't have a Viper anymore (obviously it burnt down). It was a few years ago when I got them and I didn't think anyone would be pissed they were on our website.

I would LOVE to have photos of your friends in Jax that just happened.

There were over 200 hits on posts about caps coming off when I first checked into this. My 95 Viper had its cap come off with 1/16 of a turn and I only owned it for a week when it happened. It only had 800 miles on it at the time. I had a lawyer call me from California, an owner had his engine start on fire as he joined a freeway, he lost control and luckily didn't kill anyone. Viper burnt to the ground, I'm trying to get photos.

95Viper

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, they aren't my photos, I just hosted them for Marc, the owner of the burned up Viper in the pix. I helped him get things sorted out with Dodge, partly out of guilt since I had just spent six months talking him into trading his Z06 for the RT/10 -- which burnt to the ground only 12 miles from the dealership. :doh:

When I wrote that, I was thinking you probably hadn't gotten permission from Marc. It took him about three months to get a replacement Viper out of DC, and then almost immediately his personal life went to hell in a big way and he basically disappeared completely. Nice guy, bad luck.

Looking at the big picture, though -- no big deal using them as far as I'm concerned. They're pretty dramatic and I guess I'm happy if it helps people recognize the seriousness of the problem.

If the guy whose car burned on Friday sends me photos and he doesn't mind, I'll post them here.

It would be interesting to know how many times this has actually happened.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.