Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about purchasing a Kicker KX550.3. I'm not going too crazy like some of you might, but I want to run a sub and my door speakers. So I thought a 3 channel amp would be perfect, 85x2 for the front and 400x1 for the 10in sub I'm installing. Has anyone had any experiences with this amp or could you make other recommendations please?
Thanks

· Registered
119 Posts
Don't you have speakers in the rear? 85 watts for the fronts seem alittle low. I have a two soundstream amps. The 4 channel puts out 100 watts each of the front and rear speakers. I am thinking about bumping this up. I think with only 85 watts you'll notice distortion if you crank the volume up. Also, if you ever upgrade the spreakers, you won't have enough power to run a good set of aftermarket speakers.

If it were me I would buy a 5 channel with atleast 100 wats per channel and 300 for the sub out. This shouldn't cost to much and leaves room to upgrade in the future without having to buy another amp.

Bill

· Premium Member
518 Posts
I have a set of Focal componets in front running off a JL Audio 300/4 bridged. The rear speakers are disconnected, one JL Audio 12W6V2 sub running off a JL Audio 500/1 monoblock amp. I've been in the car audio bussiness for a long time. My experience with JL has been nothing but great.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the input guys.
I have already upgraded the fronts with Rockford Fosgates (Fanatic series or something). This all started with them, I just wanted to improve the sound alittle. Well here I go. I still don't need it crazy loud.
But I have rethought the amp. I think I'm gonna go with the Kicker KX700.5. That way I will have 85x4 and 420x1, I'll bridge the four into 165x2. Then I was going to put one of those square 10in Kicker in the back and forget about the rear stock speakers all together.
Sound better?

· Premium Member
518 Posts
LETHAL GTS said:
Hey thanks for the input guys.
I have already upgraded the fronts with Rockford Fosgates (Fanatic series or something). This all started with them, I just wanted to improve the sound alittle. Well here I go. I still don't need it crazy loud.
But I have rethought the amp. I think I'm gonna go with the Kicker KX700.5. That way I will have 85x4 and 420x1, I'll bridge the four into 165x2. Then I was going to put one of those square 10in Kicker in the back and forget about the rear stock speakers all together.
Sound better?
I use to be a big Kicker fan but all sounds good, post pics when its finished. :nod:

· Team Crown Recruiter
10,002 Posts
Focal speakers and subs, and US Amps.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have a GTS

Focal 165W components in the factory locations in the door. 10" JL Audio sub in the passenger well.
Brax 4 channel amp 4 x 100. No rear speakers. Alpine 7990 deck. One of the best systems you will hear and it adds a total of 40 lbs to the car. The amp is in a fan cooled aluminum box under the spare tire that raises the spare tire 3 inches. You would have to know the car really well to know the tire is raised.

Rear speakers are completely useless in a GTS. The passenger footwell mounted 10" sub sounds phenomenal. People say bass is non directional. I disagree. It sounds a lot better firing towards you.

Amit
Austin, TX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.