Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 97 GTS. It’s 100% stock with 21k miles. I have put around 300 miles on the car since I’ve had it but I’m noticing a few oil drips on the garage floor 12-24 hours after I drive it. I’m looking under the hood and notice that the oil seems to be coming from the pcv tubing under the drivers side air intake. Anyone know what the cause of this might be? Remedy? It appears to have been doing this for a while. Thanks for any input.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Clean up the tubing, make sure there are no obstructions or tubing not cracked and replace the valve.

·
Sexist
44,353 Posts
The tubing gets old and leaks. Valve cover gaskets get old and leak.

Retorque the pan bolts and any others you can get to.

Your Viper is 99% stock. The badges have been replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, I’m going to change the valve and clean up the area. Looking closer at it, it may also be coming from where the throttle body and intake manifold meet. Would a catch can be an option in this case?

·
Sexist
44,353 Posts
I have a medium size catch can on my tracker. You don't need a big giant one. I have one from JMBPerformance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still trying to figure out the source of the leak, it’s mainly on the drivers side dripping down all the way to the oil pan. Source seems to be coming from under the radiator hose area. I’m guessing it’s the timing cover. It is a 97 and I’ve read that it’s common for that year. But just want to double check before I start tearing in to it. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
Your leak source is NOT the PCV. The PCV is just to the left of your red circle.

What you are having problems with is the rubber elbows and tee fitting for the valve cover breather system that connects to the back of the airbox. Those rubber bits do not like Mobil 1 oil, which causes them to swell. I have used a combination of the steel constant tension clamps like on the tube from the tee, and nylon tube clamps used with the later model Gen 2 motors. I can get you a reference number and photos in a day or two.

Start by removing the elbows and plastic tubing pieces, then thoroughly clean and dry them all before reinstalling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your leak source is NOT the PCV. The PCV is just to the left of your red circle.

What you are having problems with is the rubber elbows and tee fitting for the valve cover breather system that connects to the back of the airbox. Those rubber bits do not like Mobil 1 oil, which causes them to swell. I have used a combination of the steel constant tension clamps like on the tube from the tee, and nylon tube clamps used with the later model Gen 2 motors. I can get you a reference number and photos in a day or two.

Start by removing the elbows and plastic tubing pieces, then thoroughly clean and dry them all before reinstalling.
Thanks Dean, I would appreciate some photos to see what your talking about. I’ll work on what you have stated above thanks.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
This is what you need on the valve cover elbows and tee inlets. Your Dodge dealer should be able to get them. Single Bond Nylon Hose Clamp 11/32. Do not automatically order this size - the link is for reference only. I will have to confirm what I ordered if the dealer can't get them for you.

Here's my catch can setup. I moved the tee over to the center using 1/2" nylon air brake tubing that I shaped with a heat gun. I installed a catch can on the shock tower strut, then plumbed the outlet to the air box.

I checked it after the first and second track days at Road America this past weekend and there wasn't much oil in it. But, I was still having the same old oil smoke and exterior seepage problem that has plagued my car on big, fast, heavy braking zone tracks since it was almost new. I believe it has more to do with PCV flow control than valve cover venting. I have to wait until my car gets back next weekend to begin a new sleuthing adventure to determine the source and effect a solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input Dean, I was able to clean all the tubing and was able to get the nylon clamps to better secure it. But I’m still having the same issue. Still pooling up in that same area. I pulled the valve cover to inspect that gasket and looks good there. To me it looks like it’s coming from this bolt that I’ve circled in red. Can it be coming from there? Thanks for the help.
Product Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Personal protective equipment
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
614 Posts
This is what you need on the valve cover elbows and tee inlets. Your Dodge dealer should be able to get them. Single Bond Nylon Hose Clamp 11/32. Do not automatically order this size - the link is for reference only. I will have to confirm what I ordered if the dealer can't get them for you.
Fun fact. You can get those clamps often times at hobby stores. We use those on our tuned pipes for our gas engine vehicles. Not sure if they will have the right size but thought I'd share that tidbit.

Speaking of the 90 degree fittings. I assume they are normal, go to the parts store and get them parts and not some odd sized gold plated rare fittings? Reason I ask is I just ripped one and need to replace them.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
To me it looks like it’s coming from this bolt that I’ve circled in red. Can it be coming from there? Thanks for the help. View attachment 151392
That's one of your timing chain cover bolts. You have a '97 and chances are you have the same crappy gaskets I had on mine. Time to replace that one, so might as well start gathering parts and putting your plan together.

Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thanks for the help Dean I appreciate it. Sounds like I have a winter project on my hands.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
While you have it off, check your cam bolt for tightness. Not joking.

Reactions: Hennigans

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the biggest obstacle would be taking the crossmember off, any tips on doing that? Seems like some have luck and others don’t.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
Put Jack stands under the frame at the jack points on the sills with the wheels on and drooping. That helps reduce the bind at the upper shock mounts.

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,689 Posts
Does the Viper community have a good resource for timing cover gaskets? Cometic?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts