Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Porterfield R4S versus Brakeman 3\'s

I'm looking to get new pads. I plan on daily driving my GTS, and doing roughly 10 auto-x events and 1-2 track events a year with it.

I'd like to stay in stock class, which rules out caliper modifications. I'd like to have more pedal modulation, as it is way too easy to lock up the front brakes with stock pads. I've tried EBC Greens, but I don't like them since they don't have great bite. I did like the fact that they were easier to modulate, though.

After talking with a few people, I think that Brakeman 3's or Porterfield R4-S's (the street pad, not the regular R4 track pads) will fill the ticket. My question: for those of you with Brakeman 3's-would you recommend them for daily driving? How about Porterfield's? Has anyone tried both sets?

I'm also planning on adding an adjustable prop valve, which should still keep me in stock class, if that makes any difference with pad selection...

Thanks for the input!

·
Banned
26,067 Posts
Re: Porterfield R4S versus Brakeman 3\'s

Absolutely, positively Brakeman 3 , take it from someone who had a 2000 like you without ABS and tracked the car often. It fits all your criteria perfectly, it is a progessive pad that stops you great without that grippy pad thing that locks up the fronts. It is also a great street pad, heats up fast like immediately when I ran the EBC Reds I blew by stop signs on the street cause they took so long to heat up. I would not whole heartedly endorse a pad if I wasn't 100% sure of its performance and safety. :nod:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

SoCal,

Thanks for pointing out that I needed to change my sig /images/graemlins/smiles I just picked up a GTS.

How good was the initial bite of the Brakeman's? I only drive 1.5 miles to work... do the Brakeman's require a few hard stops to be effective? I'm scared of running into someone coming out of my driveway!

·
Banned
26,067 Posts

Achilles99 said:
SoCal,

Thanks for pointing out that I needed to change my sig /images/graemlins/smiles I just picked up a GTS.

How good was the initial bite of the Brakeman's? I only drive 1.5 miles to work... do the Brakeman's require a few hard stops to be effective? I'm scared of running into someone coming out of my driveway!
No they work great cold, you might get a little squealling but thats it, like I said they don't "bite" (or grippy as I say) they are great with pedal moderation (progressive braking) these are great pads for a non-ABS car, on a 01-02 I go with Pagid Blacks :nod:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Great... sounds like a winner. Anyone try out the RS4's?

Socal-How much brake dust did you experience compared to stock? Just curious... not a dealbreaker.

Who's got the best price? JonB?

·
Banned
26,067 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts

The Porterfield R4-S pads will melt totally away on you in one day if used in high speed track events. the whole side of the car will be black with brake material. I tried them 5 years ago when many claimed they were the dustless/noiseless street-strip pad. Lots of hype. Fine for street and drag strip - no bedding in needed.

Brakeman 3 has been good for street and track, have them on now even - but bed them in.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I found the R4S pads to be a bit more progressive than stock with no squeal. Has anyone tried the StopTech Club Race pads? StopTech says they use the same friction material as the #3's.

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,979 Posts

SoCal Rebell said:
Absolutely, positively Brakeman 3 , take it from someone who had a 2000 like you without ABS and tracked the car often. It fits all your criteria perfectly, it is a progessive pad that stops you great without that grippy pad thing that locks up the fronts. It is also a great street pad, heats up fast like immediately when I ran the EBC Reds I blew by stop signs on the street cause they took so long to heat up. I would not whole heartedly endorse a pad if I wasn't 100% sure of its performance and safety. :nod:
Interesting. What's the cost on the Brakeman 3's for a front set?

·
Banned
26,067 Posts

Matt said:
SoCal Rebell said:
Interesting. What's the cost on the Brakeman 3's for a front set?
Matt I paid $200 but had the larger Stoptech size, call woodhouse and ask for Nancy Shanno.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts