Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my viper the other day and everything was fine. I was not driving hard or aggressive. I then stopped at the store for no more than five minutes and when I turned it back on it was making this noise. I got it home and when I looked under the hood I saw the number 1 spark plug wire was damaged at the spark plug and was arcing off the motor. I switched the wire from number 2 to number 1. Still makes the same noise with or without it attached. I have not gotten the new spark plug wire in yet so it is currently running on nine cylinders. I don't think that is what is causing this and I'm not sure what is. Any ideas what the issue is here? I'm not sure how long I was driving with a bad spark plug wire. Oil pressure is good. Video is linked below. Please let me know what you guys think may be the cause of this... It is a 1998 viper RT10 with 50k miles.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Sounds like a shredded belt, slapping timing chain, or something bouncing around in the valve cover. Is the crank bolt torqued? If that pulley starts backing out it'll cause all sorts of belt ruckus.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
If motor knocking then let it in!

I think you are struck removing the valve cover but see if you can hear if it is coming from the bad location.

·
DEETOO
1,627 Posts
Shaking bad and rattling motor mounts? (Metal safety tabs hitting each other?)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Process of elimination. Take the serpentine belt off and briefly crank the car up. If the noise still exists, it isn't one of the accessories. Examine the harmonic balancer and make sure it hasn't started to come apart. Next pull the valve cover and examine the rockers, pushrods, and valve springs. You can crank the car up briefly while a valve cover is off to try and pin point the offending noise if you don't see anything visually, just be prepared to shut down quickly to deal with the oily mess. Only do one side at a time. It sounds like a possible valve train issue to me.

·
Premium Member
19,200 Posts
I have a NEW OEM short block for sale if you need one. New block, crank, pistons/rods, cam and front timing cover

·
Premium Member
9,934 Posts
Process of elimination like like CottonMouth said. Also, get a proper intake on there. Those charge pipes coming off the throttle body with the filters in the engine bay is doing nothing but sucking in hot air. You need some type of box structure to keep the heat away. Otherwise, you just have a "hot air intake" essentially.

·
Premium Member
19,200 Posts
Process of elimination like like CottonMouth said. Also, get a proper intake on there. Those charge pipes coming off the throttle body with the filters in the engine bay is doing nothing but sucking in hot air. You need some type of box structure to keep the heat away. Otherwise, you just have a "hot air intake" essentially.
Good to see you're still around Chris!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts