Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help identifying a 2001 GTS Bumblebee that has the word "Venom" with no package number (Hennessey is this one of yours?? Help is appreciated! :nod: ) on the rear bumper. The car also has an aftermarket wing on the back that also makes me think that its a Hennessey car.

From what I can tell, I'm guessing the car has aftermarket throttlebodies and smoothtubes. On second thought, the car appears to have stock throttlebodies and factory intake tubes. The car also has a terrific MGW Shortshifter with raised Sneaky Pete logo. Other than what I've mentioned the car appears stock under the hood. If this car was modified back to stock can anyone help me in identifying if there was any heads work that was done to this car?

The headers are covered in what appears to be (aluminum foil?) heat treatment to keep the engine bay cool. The exhaust tips don't appear to be stock and being that when I saw the car it was dark outside and the motor was hot. Two conditions that are not optimal in getting beneath a GTS! The car was sold by Chicago Bentley GoldCoast Motors and any or all information is/would be appreciated. The last five digits of the VIN are: 03205. The car was built in April '01.

Thanks again,

Jay K.

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/98Ray_s_BumbleBee3.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/98Ray_s_BumbleBee2.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/98Ray_s_BumbleBee4.jpg[/image]

·
Irredeemable
9,343 Posts
the "aluminium foil" is the factory heat shields for the headers. It looks like the only aftermarket stuff this car has is smoothtubes, Hennessey rear wing and some venom badges.

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,979 Posts
getbit said:
the "aluminium foil" is the factory heat shields for the headers. It looks like the only aftermarket stuff this car has is smoothtubes, Hennessey rear wing and some venom badges.
I agree. Doesn't look like there's really much there beyond a stock GTS.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isaac, Jason,

et. al.

I remember seeing a '96 White RT/10 at Microcenter here in the city and True to what's posted, this 96 had the plaque. The 2001 doesn't have the plaque anywhere and there is no glue residue near the shift boot where the plaque should be in the first place. But then I have to ask, "How F**kin' Stoopid is someone who gives the 'Honda R-Type' treatment to a Viper? I mean whats that all about??

Thanks guys.

If anyone else knows anything about the whereabouts this car came from I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Jay K.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
Among other things, there should be badges on both sides of the engine as well. Just like in my pic below:

And why is there no desigantion after the Venom?

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/26DSC00122.JPG[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/26DSC00117.JPG[/image]

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx Trey :thumb:

Initially, the sales person mentioned to the Now owner of this car that it was a Viper 550. A 550?? not on a 2001 car. Hennessey doesn't even have that listed on his pages. Also Your ab so lute ly co rrect that the car doesn't have a number designation after the word Venom. Screwy isnt' it??

Jay K.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jason,

Your'e right, if John doesn't chime in, I plan on contacting him directly for his knowledge of the car. However, starting out in the open forum is a good way to get the input from all.

Thoughts Appreciated,

Jay K.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
JGK95 said:
Thanx Trey :thumb:

Initially, the sales person mentioned to the Now owner of this car that it was a Viper 550. A 550?? not on a 2001 car. Hennessey doesn't even have that listed on his pages. Also Your ab so lute ly co rrect that the car doesn't have a number designation after the word Venom. Screwy isnt' it??

Jay K.
Might wanna ck with HMS directly. But to my knowledge they weren't even offering the Venom 550 pkg in 2001.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
From what I can see it looks like a GTS with a wing installed on it. The smooth tubes look like factory smooth tubes. If this car has a Venom engine upgrade then ask the seller to produce a copy of the original invoice for the work that was done.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NOW THERE'S The Response I've Been Waiting FOR!!

Thank You John for your Help!!

/images/graemlins/thumb1

Jay K.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm sort of confused by your post, is the car for sale now? and your looking to buy it,If its for sale ask the seller. or did you just see it and are curious now?

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff,

I'm simply assisting a friend who has already purchased the car. I have no personal stake in the car. I am just a big fan of the car.

Cheers,

Jay K.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the answer. No flame intended but I think your friend is asking these questions a day late. but being realistic I would want to know the answers either way now also.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
GTS Jeff said:
Thanks for the answer. No flame intended but I think your friend is asking these questions a day late. but being realistic I would want to know the answers either way now also.
EXACT same thing I was thinking. Man I would've had a Viper tech take that car apart. Literally. Then I would've put it on the dyno. And all that would've been before I wrote a check.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Take that car to a dyno. Since it's a "550" that car should lay down at the very least 480 r.w.h.p.

If it does not get even close to that, well your friend will know for sure that he's been had. But something already tells me he's been had.

My question is; why in the world would someone make such a large purchase without verifying the modifications made?????? If it turns out the car was grossly misrepresented, i would drive that thing straight back to the dealer and demand a FULL REFUND for the purchase price.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I don't think the selling price was higher than a regular gts. I don't think they were asking more because they thought it was a venom car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts