Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have been hearing a loud clunk in the driveline when I aggressively downshift from 3rd to 2nd. It sounds like a freaking fire cracker going off in the rear. There is no visible crack or twist in the drive shaft. I took the car to a local dealership. They had the car for 2 days and with about 40 more miles on the odo they are telling me they don't have a clue.

Through discussion with Chuck Tator, I am planning to go back to the dealership to re-torque the tranny and diff mount. Is there anything else that I can request them to look over? Evidently, the dealership did absolutely nothing to resolve the problem other than taking it for a drive. They "think" it's either tranny or suspension. I have no other driveability issues other than intermittent clunk mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for any leads

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like various different things can cause loud clunk. Mine happened to be broken transmission mount. Luckily, they had the part in stock and got it done in 10min. No more noise.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I busted something in my viper drag racing. It has a hard time going into 2nd and a loud cluck from the rear end. I didn't think it was possible to break drivetrain parts on a stock viper but...I did it. I'll keep you posted when I find out what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.