Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I am new on the board, so bear with me, since this is a long message. I had my silver 98gts for 2 years now, and about 7 months ago I decide to modify the darn thing. I will give you a list of mods and the results I got, for those who might just be starting out. Sorry, don't have a scanner to post the dyno sheets. Never dynoed the car stock.
K&N and no cats 440hp and 473tq
home ported heads with 1.98 int and 1.60 ex valve, crower stage 2 cam, smooth tubes, Balanger headers and Corsa Catback(no cats), 70mm TB, IDA fuel management system from Nick at Modern, aliminium flywheel, and plug wires ( heads milled 40 thousands, and flowed 283 and 232 @ 600 lift 528hp and 563tq
well that's as far as I went with it on my own. Next I dicided to get really serious with it so thats when RSI came in to the picture. I shopped around quite a bit before I dicided to go with them, and "BOY AM I GLAD".
Well they put a Paxton kit on it first, with stock TB's and with 6psi it made 677hp and 635tq. Jason over at RSI dicided to put the stock cam back in it, And put one of their heads on it(milled heads not recommended on blown engines), changed the pulley for 12psi and a full fuel system. It resulted in 838hp and 764tq
Jason belives that with a custom cam ,front mount intercooler and 70 mm TB's back on it, it might be possible to get around 860 to 870hp. We are still running the little aftercooler that came with the kit. As soon as I get some money saved up I shall do the upgrades.
I have a few races lined up including a LPE c5 that runs 10.20's @ 140mph. I will keep you guys posted!!! All figures are at the wheels.
FINALLY GLAD TO BE WORTHY ENOUGH TO BE AMOUNG THE ELITE!!!

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
congrats on the car! i cant wait to see pics of it. RSI does excellent work i hear, i am glad you are happy with your car. i just got my car back a few days ago as well, and i cant tell you how amazing it is. congrats on the car, you are one lucky individual. are you a texas guy? be careful on the roads, the new laws are killer. be safe, have fun, and represent us blown guys well. once again, congrats and post pics ASAP.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
RSI950`congrats. Glad to hear you plan on breaking some hearts at the strip and with the #'s you made it shouldn't be a problem. 838 is getting on up there and with the additional cooling I think you are going to blow past the 870 mark.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
PURE SICKNESS. Does your car sound like the RSI world record breaker 9.48 1/4? That car sounds awesome. what's the price tag on that upgrade?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for all the props guys, red snakegts i live in San Antonio so we are pratically neighbors. Hope to meet up with you some time. I saw pictures of you car on the VCA, talk about SWEEEEEET!!. Jason was the only other tuner that i was interestad in but the 3 month wait just killed me. Jason is supposed to be at RSI on Wednesday to tune one of his customer's cars from Houston, seem to be having some problems. Man talk about Customer service!!!!!!!!!!.
Makaha, I wish my car sounded and ran like the yellow best from RSI, don't forget that I have a stock cam and less compression, so its a lot quiter. Its hard to give you the cost because there were a few parts that I opted to buy that were way more expensive eg RC 52lbs injectors that cost $1400. I could have got MSD 50's for about $600 to $700. I am very picky on certain thing so it drove the price up. I talked to Gerald at RSI, he estimates about $19900, with out the heads, but your car will leave the shop with a minimum of 750rwhp.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
RSI950 said:
Thanks a lot for all the props guys, red snakegts i live in San Antonio so we are pratically neighbors. Hope to meet up with you some time. I saw pictures of you car on the VCA, talk about SWEEEEEET!!. Jason was the only other tuner that i was interestad in but the 3 month wait just killed me. Jason is supposed to be at RSI on Wednesday to tune one of his customer's cars from Houston, seem to be having some problems. Man talk about Customer service!!!!!!!!!!.
Makaha, I wish my car sounded and ran like the yellow best from RSI, don't forget that I have a stock cam and less compression, so its a lot quiter. Its hard to give you the cost because there were a few parts that I opted to buy that were way more expensive eg RC 52lbs injectors that cost $1400. I could have got MSD 50's for about $600 to $700. I am very picky on certain thing so it drove the price up. I talked to Gerald at RSI, he estimates about $19900, with out the heads, but your car will leave the shop with a minimum of 750rwhp.

just for the record, Heffner's customer's car isnt having problems. they are doing an intercooler and pulley swap. the car is in 100% working order, just that Heffner believes the car will run better with the intercooler swap, and he doesnt feel he 100% delivered to what he promised. he is the best when it comes to dealing with us, and his cars are second to none. that isnt a heffner plug, just dont want people getting the wrong idea.

back on topic, you need to attend the viperalley gtg this weekend! September 6,7 it is going to be a blast! my car will be there, along with many other great vipers. the info is in Anything Goes up towards the top. if you have any questions about it dont be afraid to ask, but the majority of the answers are avaiable in that forum. nice to meet you, and i cant wait to see that fast car of yours!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Red snake, you will hear no arguments here. Jason is considered one of the best tuners out there, and by no means did i intend to mis-lead anyone on this board. The information I heard was false, so I do apologise.
I would love to attend the gathering in Austin, so I hope to see you there.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
RSI950 said:
Red snake, you will hear no arguments here. Jason is considered one of the best tuners out there, and by no means did i intend to mis-lead anyone on this board. The information I heard was false, so I do apologise.
I would love to attend the gathering in Austin, so I hope to see you there.
hey man, no worries. i just wanted to clear the matter up before it started. i really hope you can make it! the more vipers the better. if you have any questions PM me, or just ask on the board. take care

·
Out to lunch
10,529 Posts
Hey RSI950 You live in San Antonio?
How would you like to have a ride in an all original gen 1:nod:
(of coarse I would not mind a ride in you newer dern fangald contraption)

What side of town do you live on? The San Antonio roll call is geting larger. Have you been out to Military in it? I have seen a silver GTS out one of the two times I went out there

Welcome to the alley! /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nohsreg, I have been to military in it a couple of times, infact I will be out this Sunday just to ruffle some feathers. What color is the RT? I have seen a black and a white one out there before. I live on the nortwest side of town, close to Sea World. How about you?
Do you know of any Viper owners in SA or are you like me, just having to hang out with the LS1 boys all the time? My Life sucks in other words. HAHAHAHA

·
Out to lunch
10,529 Posts
Mine is the black RT. And the only viper owners I know are the Nightstalkers from this board, and I have not met them personally yet. I live around Blanco and Bitters in the north central area. And yes I have also had to befriend the Ls1 boys. Being in a bone stock gen 1 Some of them pick on me so maybe you want to play Viper big brother?? /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif!! Maybe one day this week we could grab lunch. (if it will stop raining)

A few months ago I was sitting on the side of the road by brooks in my viper and I saw a silver GTS lighting it up pretty good. I am pretty sure it had black stripes so I am assuming that would be you. With your new RSI package that should make you just about king shit out there.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Very nice numbers indeed! Is that on pumped gas (93 octane)? Let us know how you do at the track. Be the first in the 9's with a SC'er.

Did you go to a RSI heads? What compression do you have? What kind of HP do you think you gained from the SC'er(taking into account that the heads and cam are different from your original heads/cam package)?

Post some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It is common place when RSI has your car that you have ear to ear smiles. They only turn out great motors and satisfied customers. I have not heard one bad thing said against Gerald, Jason and or Paul. My first motor from another Houston tuna never got close to what RSI puts out.
They took my block and turned it into a work of art.
Have fun with another RSI car.
Rohn

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Noshreg, i remember you know, we have not actually met, but a few weeks ago you were out there talking to a guy with a white Supra. You might remember a Black 2001 maxima pull up and park really close to the Supra. I had the Supra owner really worried, can't park worth a damn :rofl:. Hopefully it clears up so we can get out for a cruise.
Utahviper, I am actually running 103 in it, because thats what I requested from Jason, I wanted to be on the safe side with the better octane. I know it costs a little more but I rather spend a little more on gas than to have a blown engine. I probably could run it on pump gas, because Jason has it running really rich. Jason is very causious, and likes to play it safe with a stock block. He did mention that he could get more out of it but then reliability becomes an issue. After the heads and cam change we picked up about 42hp (from 677 to about 720) and yes they are RSI stage 3. I really dont think we picked any horses from the heads, but most of the power gain was actually from the stock cam. The stage 2 cam had too much duration and we were actually loosing boost from the exhaust side because it stayed open too long. Compression, I think we are at about 9.3, but don't quote me on that. you have very impressive numbers, how much boost are you running? We are going to try fot the 9's but as of right now I haven't even seen the 10's yet /images/graemlins/laughing.gif /images/graemlins/laughing.gif.
Rohn, you the owner of the yellow twin of Gerald's, man you got one mean machine. Tell Gerald your car is twice as fast and twice as pretty as his /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif. Tell him Ronnie said so!!!!! I want him to call me and curse me out. LOL. Like you said, the guys at RSI are honest and very professional, they treat you right, thats why they have me as a customer for life.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am running 8lbs of boost. We are going to turn the boost upto 12-14lbs when we get the aftercooler and new fuel system is in place. I am hoping that it will take place in less than a month. I have a drag racing event in vegas that I am hoping to go to in OCtober. I am not sure how much HP/TQ I will get but I expect a solid 100HP/TQ gain, maybe more but I am being conservative. ROe is also coming out with a way to advance the timing.

Your numbers are very impressive! Is that a stock 97 or 98 cam? I wonder if your torque will go up with a bigger intercooler. Do you have any power loss after the car gets warm? I am wondering how the air-water cooled system is going to work. Sean Roe and others are coming out with these type of aftercoolers and I am wonder how they will work?

Good luck at the track! Dig deep into the 10's.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Utahviper, our cars are pretty close in the power outputs. I don't see you having any problems hitting the 800hp mark. If I turned my boost down to 8psi , I probably will be around 700-720. We tried a few pully's, but I dont remember what I made at 8psi. Rsi did notice that the car was averaging around 26rwhp to 28rwhp per pound of boost. A word of advise is to go all out with the fuel system.
Utahviper you have a PM. let me know if you get it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts