Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is not a PCV on gen IIIs. There are two lines coming from valve covers. Drivers side is valve cover to pre-throttle body just to give air flow if there's a vacuum. Passenger's side there's a line going to manifold, under side, behind the throttle body. This is the PCV system for car and will suck out vented gasses under vacuum. The outlet, at the valve cover, has a reducer in it. From say 9/16" size to a large pin hole. It's always open without a check valve. I've seen the location of this be either front or rear of valve cover. My '04 had this by the fire wall, but got newer NOS valve covers and it's at the front of the cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is not a PCV on gen IIIs. There are two lines coming from valve covers. Drivers side is valve cover to pre-throttle body just to give air flow if there's a vacuum. Passenger's side there's a line going to manifold, under side, behind the throttle body. This is the PCV system for car and will suck out vented gasses under vacuum. The outlet, at the valve cover, has a reducer in it. From say 9/16" size to a large pin hole. It's always open without a check valve. I've seen the location of this be either front or rear of valve cover. My '04 had this by the fire wall, but got newer NOS valve covers and it's at the front of the cover.
Thanks. I've been chasing a ghost repair item.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,347 Posts
Starting in '98, Vipers came from the factory with a fixed orifice in the path from the 'dirty side' (block gas) vent to the back of the TB. No more PCV valves that are finicky at low vacuum levels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My viper tech would have known that Gen III's didn't have pcv valves. But, ####, he left for a better job and advancement, I'm near Charlotte, NC. So, I fish in the dark when it comes to repairs and fixes. The cabin air blower motor works only at max speed; resistor open, and it needs to be soldered or replaced (thank you ViperAlley). Unfortunately, my back prevents me from doing a lot of work myself. I have to be an educated customer when I take the viper to the dealership for repairs. I'm trying to figure out why the motor eats so much oil when there are no visible indications. If my motor needs a qt ~ 1,000 miles, so be it. It just doesn't seem right for such a robust machine.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,347 Posts
I believe that the early Gen 3 passenger valve cover has a baffle and mesh filter in the very top. Those are supposed to entrain and drop out the oil before it gets to the vent hose. You might unbolt the cover, flip it over and remove the baffle to clean the filter if it's loaded up. Pretty easy job. You also need to confirm that the makeup air path from the air box is functional.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe that the early Gen 3 passenger valve cover has a baffle and mesh filter in the very top. Those are supposed to entrain and drop out the oil before it gets to the vent hose. You might unbolt the cover, flip it over and remove the baffle to clean the filter if it's loaded up. Pretty easy job. You also need to confirm that the makeup air path from the air box is functional.
Thanks. That I can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts