Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought there was a thread on this subject, but I didn't see it on the first page, so what the heck. New thread. I was at Sean's shop last night and he showed me some interesting dyno graphs -- a Paxton at 5 PSI and 7 PSI on a relatively stock car overlaid with a Roe graph at 5 PSI and 8 PSI, also from a stock setup.

The key words are "area under the curve". While it looks like the Paxton has a slightly higher peak HP and roughly the same peak TQ, it's instantly apparent that the Roe SC makes a lot more power throughout almost the entire range. In fact, the Roe SC approaches it's peak power very early in the RPM band, whereas the Paxton has a much more gradual ramp-up.

(And before anyone PM's me, nothing new to report about the Gen I SC. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif )

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
It's the nature of the beast. That's why you don't see any OEM applications of centrifugal superchargers - only aftermarket. Look at all the latest and greatest Supercars. They are either N/A, TT, or Twin Screw Blower. A few twin screw blowers that come to mind - Merc. SLR, Ford GT, Merc. AMG's.... The potential of the Twin Screw blower is incredible. Not to mention a smooth torque curve and bulletproof reliability. This is the SC'er to own, at any price, IMHO.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
onerareviper said:
It's the nature of the beast. That's why you don't see any OEM applications of centrifugal superchargers - only aftermarket. Look at all the latest and greatest Supercars. They are either N/A, TT, or Twin Screw Blower. A few twin screw blowers that come to mind - Merc. SLR, Ford GT, Merc. AMG's.... The potential of the Twin Screw blower is incredible. Not to mention a smooth torque curve and bulletproof reliability. This is the SC'er to own, at any price, IMHO.
I've said this before....I just don't get the "thrill" of having a 750 HP car when at 3,000 rpm you only make 300HP.

For me and the way I drive, I want my HP available for as much time as possible for everyday use. To see 500+ HP for a 2 second blip from 4.5 grand to 6 grand just doesn't grab me. I realize it's a personal experience and a very personal opinion, but for street use, the centrifugal SC just doesn't make much sense. Again....IMHO.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I don't know how much I can add to this post because I am one who is waiting for Sean to finish up the S/C for Gen 1... /images/graemlins/freak

But I use to have a Vortec on my 5.0 before with a cog belt system and all the fixings (cam, headers, heads, intake...almost everything). The supercharger was ok, not worth it. Same reason as above. The car did not kick very well.

P.S. Still waiting for update.. nah joking

·
Viper Love
559 Posts
to be fair I never saw/owned a centrifugal supercharger, anyway ill speak from my experience with Roe chargers (Twin screw), and my knowledge, since day one from my charger installation I noticed a hug deference In driving my snake,

I mean I can feel the torque the second I smash the car, my car easier to drive now around the city, im not an expert but I feel its more lighter and responding so quick.

dynosheets showed the Roe charger with this beautiful torque curve (almost a straight line I don’t know if you still call it “Curve line” anymore lol)

also few Roe chargers owners compared there dynosheets with some 850RWHP++ Turbo snakes, they have the same RWHP until something like 3000RPM not bad I guess, few in this forum are running mid/low 10’s with the Roe S/C. keep in mind all this with no intercooler/aftercooler /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

What Roe charger needs right now is an intercooler/aftercooler and then run more boost and let us see the numbers, give it some time.

My opinion and its just me, I think Screw superchargers is the future of boosting, not just in a viper cars in general. (I could be wrong)

That may sound strange, but im a turbo fan, and Screw chargers do reminds me of them (torque maybe), why and how I dont know, I just do. Take care

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Centrifugals don't really have a nice torque curve until you have them spinning a lot of boost up top (so that there is moderate boost down low). I do have to mention that the Koeniggsegg uses Centrifugals. There is also something I have been wondering for a while. The ROE cannot have and never will have any meaningful intercooler underneath it. Water meth works ok, but I wonder if a pre-cooler would work. Here is DEI's intake cooler:

It uses C02 to cool the intake air. I believe you could fit two inline on each intake going into the ROE. Each one is supposed to cool the air around 50 degrees. Because Newton's Law of cooling says that the second one won't cool it as much, lets guess 30 degrees for it. So the air going into the ROE on a 90 degree day would only be 10 degrees. That would certainly help things IMHO.

Reactions: Viper4Christ

·
Registered
708 Posts
i have a 95 viper with paxton kit only 4698 miles on it pro install factory exhuast dyno at 565rwhp im happy cant wait till i get a exhuast to see if i hit 600hp
Great bump on a 4 year old thread... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Holy crap...I didn't even look at the date. That has to be the oldest thread revival I have seen in a while.

Reactions: Joelcool

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
We know you do.
And we know you'll run 9's with it without nitrous.
S.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
We know you do.
S.
Are you being sarcastic? Can a Roe car make it into the 9's without nitrous? I have a 98 GTS that is mostly stock. I am wanting ART to put on a Roe, Headers, No Cats, and Corsa. Will I need heads and cam to make it to the 9's? Or will the Paxton get me there easier?

·
Premium Member
19,233 Posts
1TONY1 did get his Roe into the 9's without nitrous, but I think he is the only one. He can drive the shit out of the car :thumb1:

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
We know you do.
S.

ya beat me to it. jeez captain ROE here really does LOVE his ROE.

and i dont think you can talk about roe's running fast without mentioning 1TONY1, but take him out of the picture and who else is in the nines with the roe. cudaman did right ?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm surprised more Vipers haven't run 9's with the Roe blower.

Maybe Tony isn't like the rest of us. Maybe every morning he puts his pants on over his head, rather than one leg at a time like everyone else. :eslab:

·
Registered
45 Posts
so my ???? is should i just change my side pipes or go all out headers and all and does anyone out there have this set up already !!!????

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm at about 4000ft elevation +, a friend of ours has the roe sc with a 12lb pulley and ran a 10.1 at elevation. I have a roe with 5lb pulley and run low 11's (keeping in mind my car is tuned for sea level), roe SC's are SICK!!!! just my 2 cents

·
Registered
120 Posts
so my ???? is should i just change my side pipes or go all out headers and all and does anyone out there have this set up already !!!????
depends how much boost you want to run. If your going to go 10lbs or higher, its recommended to do it all. We built my buddies with a 12lb pulley without doing the heads and a month later blew up the head gasket. Then he got the head work done and put the bigger gasket on and it runs like a bat outta hell. The only frustrating thing is with that much power its hard to run the Micheline pilot sport tires, you'll need a softer compound and you'll obviously run through more tires. His car is running super rich and his dyno sheet read 640hp 980lbs or torque. before tuning it was over 720hp and 1040lbs of torque.

FYI, i had high flow cats that melted on the passenger side, i would recommend straight piping it when you supercharge it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
thanks now you had said you added boost was the boost gained from adding the exhuast or a pulley (and does paxton have this pulley) and what if i just stepped it up a couple of ponds to like ten from now i have 8lbs will that be better also i mensioned i have gen 1 i thought i have the good heads for higher boost am i rt also thanks for the help so far

1 - 20 of 143 Posts