Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

I just got some pics...and OMG :bowdown: This thing is going to be bad. Just due to the size of the turbo's and the design of the exhust system. Twin intercoolers is a nice touch. I like the 5" exhust with the wastegate running in the middle. :bowdown: There is sooo much thought that went into this it's crazy.


Paolo get that bitch finnished and go blow up a dyno!



PS: Please flame me so I can laugh at all of you when this is done.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,282 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Paolo - don't give in :rofl:





At least wait until all the paint is done and the installation complete. You know what happened when the last guy posted work in progress - although I must say the workmanship on yours is top notch!!

Quick - Hide those equal length headers and merge collectors /images/graemlins/laughing.gif :thumb:

The real genuius is actually in the intake side - THAT is where the power is made. To some extent you can make the exhaust work harder on a restricted exhaust and compensate with cam timing, but the air intake is where it is really all at - and Paolo has done it better than anyone to date.

On design alone - this thing should be unbelievable! :thumb:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,067 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Move along everybody, nothing to see here. Just move along...

/images/graemlins/laughing.gif

PAOLO! YOU BASTARD MOVE AWAY FROM THE FEATURE CREEP!!

All in good time all in good time. This beast has more thought than most of the past centuries great thinkers did!

Question for the deep thinkers...

Do Dynos go above 1200 RWHP? I mean REALLY above 1200 RWHP? Just speculation and not based on fact...

Jay K.
 

· Schadenfreude Connoisseur
Joined
·
10,474 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Paolo post the pics. I know your work is top notch, and since your my bro, I wouldnt thrash you even if it looked like dogshit /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,067 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Paolo,

Do not procede to Bonneville

Do not pass Go

But feel free to collect 200 bux if it will get your DAMN project done sooner!

Jay K.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Newer Dynojet Software allows them to go to 1800 RWHP. You can see a 1453 RWHP dynosheet on this link:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthr...mp;pagenumber=5

Torque, as long as the exhaust is addequately sized (dual 3" would be more than enough for 1200+ RWHP if that's the goal) you are right. Otherwise in any turbo application the exhaust side is more important than the intake side. In fact too small of an exhaust will rob HP and cause issues such as boost creep, etc. Too much backpressure can also be detrimental to the turbos themselves.

JGK95 said:
Move along everybody, nothing to see here. Just move along...

/images/graemlins/laughing.gif

PAOLO! YOU BASTARD MOVE AWAY FROM THE FEATURE CREEP!!

All in good time all in good time. This beast has more thought than most of the past centuries great thinkers did!

Question for the deep thinkers...

Do Dynos go above 1200 RWHP? I mean REALLY above 1200 RWHP? Just speculation and not based on fact...

Jay K.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,067 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

TRDSupra Please post the dynosheet as "we" (The collective US) would appreciate if you could post the actual sheet.

Much Thanks,

Jay K.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,282 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

TRD Supra - correct.... I was assuming that exhaust sizes were adequate for the job...

As a matter of interest I found a study today done on turbo manifolds - it compared race log type manifolds to equal length 4 into 1 headers.... the difference was bigger than I expected...

The engine was a Honda 1.8 and made 250rwhp on the race log header manifold

The race log type manifold as expected boosted slightly earlier, but by 3000rpm the headers with merge collector was neck and neck, by 4500rpm it just walked away and gained 50hp over the cast manifold (which was a classic turbo design).

Lesson - hard to fit - but a true header and merge collector is worth a lot of power. :thumb: in this case 20% gain!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,381 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Tanked, thanks for the kind words! That means a lot coming from someone who was an Army mechanic with a degree in electrical engineering! That combined with what you have done with some past car projects and some of our conversations is enough proof to me you know your stuff!


Simms, Gary Javo, Redsnake, and Smokin, I am holding back on the pictures due to the desire to keep what I've spent freezing nights in the garage figure out kind of under wraps until I am ready to show it. I am kind of a perfectionist and definitely still a top secret little whore at this point. I have sent various people a few pictures here and there who seem interested. Smokin, I am confident you would not flame me for anything except maybe sometimes the garage gets a little dirty after several late nights of not cleaning up so I can work a little longer.==> You would laugh your ass off if you saw me after polishing stainless piping and bracketry for several hours. I look like the cartoons when the bomb goes off in Wile E Coyote's face!


Barry, you are always an inspiration to me and a great person to bounce ideas off of! I appreciate all your support :bowdown:

JGK..... What the hell can I say about this guy?????


Well, Jay and I speak at least several times per day and always has questions about what I accomplished since our last conversation and how that piece fits into the big picture of turbocharging or for my system in general. I remember showing jay a picture of the whole exhaust manifold to the turbo and out to the side sill. Even though I had explaioned how the whole turbocharging thing works to jay in pieces, it was really cool to see the light go on in his head when he got the big picture! I remember when the light bulb went off in my head at various points of the turbo/forced induction learning curve over the last 4 years. I love explaining what I've learned to an eager and enthusiastic mind like Jay. He is the best! He also has a very funny way of breaking my balls about "Feature Creep" which means he thinks I am spending too much time creating/adding features because I can instead of just getting it done. So every time I am doing anything, I always wonder if JGK would classify it as "Feature Creep". I can't believe I let this guy that deep into my head! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Dave Blankenbaker, you would definitely know as you usually see me in the garage at various intervals when you bring your trailer back to park. I still do not know why I do not just drive your Viper here and there to satisfy the urge until mine is finished. For those of you who do not know, Dave was the one who helped me throughout the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. Maybe I should have let HIM drive the road course :screwy:

TRDSUPRA, I have heard about your car and cannot wait to see the dyno sheet and line up for a roll-on! I agree the exhaust side is the most important in most turbo systems especially if the turbine wheel and turbine side AR's are too small, the exponential nature of exhaust back-pressure would be prohibitive to maintaining boost past where the boost controller can help the wastegate spring staying shut. I would imagine the 40 some PSI you are running is not always easy to keep the wastegate closed like you would like to. :bowdown: If you saw my intake setup, you would know what Barry is talking about. :thumb:

ZX1100, you know you are welcome to come over any time to see what I am doing :thumb:


Barry, If I could gain 20% over a conventional not equal length header/no 5 into one Burns collector design, I would be very, very, very happy! I just have to go and complete more and more things on the list of what has yet to be done!
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
522 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Paolo!

The pictures you sent me were incrediable! I can't wait to see the finished product! That thing is going to roar! Man you put a ton of thought into your system! Shoot me some pictues of you looking like ********! LOL!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Hi Paolo, if you and I were to line up for a roll on race based on what I see on this thread about your car you would walk my Supra up one side and down the other! My car "only" makes 826 RWHP (~30 PSI, 2 bar). The dyno sheet I was refering to is from Saad's Supra, different beast altogether /images/graemlins/smiles

I would still love to run your car to see just how fast it is. Are you planning on going to the V10 nationals that will coincide with the TX2005 (Houston) Supra meet?

Guilly

Paolo Castellano said:
Tanked, thanks for the kind words! That means a lot coming from someone who was an Army mechanic with a degree in electrical engineering! That combined with what you have done with some past car projects and some of our conversations is enough proof to me you know your stuff!


Simms, Gary Javo, Redsnake, and Smokin, I am holding back on the pictures due to the desire to keep what I've spent freezing nights in the garage figure out kind of under wraps until I am ready to show it. I am kind of a perfectionist and definitely still a top secret little whore at this point. I have sent various people a few pictures here and there who seem interested. Smokin, I am confident you would not flame me for anything except maybe sometimes the garage gets a little dirty after several late nights of not cleaning up so I can work a little longer.==> You would laugh your ass off if you saw me after polishing stainless piping and bracketry for several hours. I look like the cartoons when the bomb goes off in Wile E Coyote's face!


Barry, you are always an inspiration to me and a great person to bounce ideas off of! I appreciate all your support :bowdown:

JGK..... What the hell can I say about this guy?????


Well, Jay and I speak at least several times per day and always has questions about what I accomplished since our last conversation and how that piece fits into the big picture of turbocharging or for my system in general. I remember showing jay a picture of the whole exhaust manifold to the turbo and out to the side sill. Even though I had explaioned how the whole turbocharging thing works to jay in pieces, it was really cool to see the light go on in his head when he got the big picture! I remember when the light bulb went off in my head at various points of the turbo/forced induction learning curve over the last 4 years. I love explaining what I've learned to an eager and enthusiastic mind like Jay. He is the best! He also has a very funny way of breaking my balls about "Feature Creep" which means he thinks I am spending too much time creating/adding features because I can instead of just getting it done. So every time I am doing anything, I always wonder if JGK would classify it as "Feature Creep". I can't believe I let this guy that deep into my head! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Dave Blankenbaker, you would definitely know as you usually see me in the garage at various intervals when you bring your trailer back to park. I still do not know why I do not just drive your Viper here and there to satisfy the urge until mine is finished. For those of you who do not know, Dave was the one who helped me throughout the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. Maybe I should have let HIM drive the road course :screwy:

TRDSUPRA, I have heard about your car and cannot wait to see the dyno sheet and line up for a roll-on! I agree the exhaust side is the most important in most turbo systems especially if the turbine wheel and turbine side AR's are too small, the exponential nature of exhaust back-pressure would be prohibitive to maintaining boost past where the boost controller can help the wastegate spring staying shut. I would imagine the 40 some PSI you are running is not always easy to keep the wastegate closed like you would like to. :bowdown: If you saw my intake setup, you would know what Barry is talking about. :thumb:

ZX1100, you know you are welcome to come over any time to see what I am doing :thumb:


Barry, If I could gain 20% over a conventional not equal length header/no 5 into one Burns collector design, I would be very, very, very happy! I just have to go and complete more and more things on the list of what has yet to be done!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
3,381 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

TRDSupra said:
Hi Paolo, if you and I were to line up for a roll on race based on what I see on this thread about your car you would walk my Supra up one side and down the other! My car "only" makes 826 RWHP (~30 PSI, 2 bar). The dyno sheet I was refering to is from Saad's Supra, different beast altogether /images/graemlins/smiles

I would still love to run your car to see just how fast it is. Are you planning on going to the V10 nationals that will coincide with the TX2005 (Houston) Supra meet?

Guilly

Paolo Castellano said:
Tanked, thanks for the kind words! That means a lot coming from someone who was an Army mechanic with a degree in electrical engineering! That combined with what you have done with some past car projects and some of our conversations is enough proof to me you know your stuff!


Simms, Gary Javo, Redsnake, and Smokin, I am holding back on the pictures due to the desire to keep what I've spent freezing nights in the garage figure out kind of under wraps until I am ready to show it. I am kind of a perfectionist and definitely still a top secret little whore at this point. I have sent various people a few pictures here and there who seem interested. Smokin, I am confident you would not flame me for anything except maybe sometimes the garage gets a little dirty after several late nights of not cleaning up so I can work a little longer.==> You would laugh your ass off if you saw me after polishing stainless piping and bracketry for several hours. I look like the cartoons when the bomb goes off in Wile E Coyote's face!


Barry, you are always an inspiration to me and a great person to bounce ideas off of! I appreciate all your support :bowdown:

JGK..... What the hell can I say about this guy?????


Well, Jay and I speak at least several times per day and always has questions about what I accomplished since our last conversation and how that piece fits into the big picture of turbocharging or for my system in general. I remember showing jay a picture of the whole exhaust manifold to the turbo and out to the side sill. Even though I had explaioned how the whole turbocharging thing works to jay in pieces, it was really cool to see the light go on in his head when he got the big picture! I remember when the light bulb went off in my head at various points of the turbo/forced induction learning curve over the last 4 years. I love explaining what I've learned to an eager and enthusiastic mind like Jay. He is the best! He also has a very funny way of breaking my balls about "Feature Creep" which means he thinks I am spending too much time creating/adding features because I can instead of just getting it done. So every time I am doing anything, I always wonder if JGK would classify it as "Feature Creep". I can't believe I let this guy that deep into my head! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Dave Blankenbaker, you would definitely know as you usually see me in the garage at various intervals when you bring your trailer back to park. I still do not know why I do not just drive your Viper here and there to satisfy the urge until mine is finished. For those of you who do not know, Dave was the one who helped me throughout the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. Maybe I should have let HIM drive the road course :screwy:

TRDSUPRA, I have heard about your car and cannot wait to see the dyno sheet and line up for a roll-on! I agree the exhaust side is the most important in most turbo systems especially if the turbine wheel and turbine side AR's are too small, the exponential nature of exhaust back-pressure would be prohibitive to maintaining boost past where the boost controller can help the wastegate spring staying shut. I would imagine the 40 some PSI you are running is not always easy to keep the wastegate closed like you would like to. :bowdown: If you saw my intake setup, you would know what Barry is talking about. :thumb:

ZX1100, you know you are welcome to come over any time to see what I am doing :thumb:


Barry, If I could gain 20% over a conventional not equal length header/no 5 into one Burns collector design, I would be very, very, very happy! I just have to go and complete more and more things on the list of what has yet to be done!

Guilly, I would love to sse that 1400 RWHP dyno sheet!

From what I remember, you have been around on the internet for a long time. I remember about 5 years ago you were on some site with the highest RWHP Supras at the time. Am I remembering correctly?

I would love to go to the TX 2005. From what I hear, Houston is the roll-on Capital of the world!
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Paolo Castellano said:
Tanked, thanks for the kind words! That means a lot coming from someone who was an Army mechanic with a degree in electrical engineering! That combined with what you have done with some past car projects and some of our conversations is enough proof to me you know your stuff!]


Poalo,

Holy shit...you know too much, I'm going to have to kill you now. :rofl:

To answer to your question about the AEM 2 stage..The EMS gives you the ability to define a secondary rev-limiter, commonly called a 2-Step limiter (Full Throttle, Clutch In, you use both feet, 2 step, get it?). With a user defined RPM value and Cut %, you have the ability to tune your launch to suit the track conditions. Additionally, with AEM's definable switch inputs, you can use the 2-step without the requirement of wiring in a clutch switch.

Hope that helps.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Re: Paolo\'s twin turbo setup.

Paolo,

I have definitely been around a while on internet forums and mailing lists (about 10 years actually). One of my previous Supra was the highest RWHP for a stock bottom end for a while (874 RWHP, now the record is 980).

Hope to see you in TX next year! :thumb:

Paolo Castellano said:
Guilly, I would love to sse that 1400 RWHP dyno sheet!

From what I remember, you have been around on the internet for a long time. I remember about 5 years ago you were on some site with the highest RWHP Supras at the time. Am I remembering correctly?

I would love to go to the TX 2005. From what I hear, Houston is the roll-on Capital of the world!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top