Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall. So I've noticed metal in my oil and rod knock on the drivers side after an overheating incident when my power steering pulley decided to vaporize. I'm most certain I either dropped a seat and/or have bearings eating themselves. Who rebuilds these motors now days? Or is it a DIY thing now. I've got 51k miles and super sad my snake
isn't running right.

Thanks in advance !

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
It is a DIY if you rebuilt engines before no difference. Just follow the stock specs for stock rebuild. Search the forums for pointers. But talk to Mike first for the short block and then rebuild the old one.

You are going to need to pull the engine anyways, so get a price from mike pull it out and then check to see the extent of the damage. It will be cheaper to just ship the engine.

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
What year is your car? 1997? I have new short blocks, but all are cast piston engines. Stock rods are good to 800ish, but I would swap out the pistons.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
Cast pistons are just fine for non-boosted applications up to around 575hp. The '00-02 units have better sealing properties than the forged ones from '96-99. It all depends on what you're planning to do with the build.

Reactions: 99RT10&GTS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Hey yall. So I've noticed metal in my oil and rod knock on the drivers side after an overheating incident when my power steering pulley decided to vaporize. I'm most certain I either dropped a seat and/or have bearings eating themselves. Who rebuilds these motors now days? Or is it a DIY thing now. I've got 51k miles and super sad my snake
isn't running right.

Thanks in advance !
I sent my ‘08 block here for a rebuild. They also built me a standalone harness as this was for a custom Dodge to Chevy swap. They inspected the motor and stayed in communication with me throughout letting me know what was still good and what needed to be replaced. Essentially a refresh. Dyno’d (results provided for confirmation) at 671hp.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
Prefix is one of the premier Viper engine rebuilders in the country, so you did well going through them.

And putting a V-10 Mopar engine in a Chevy????? That should cause some confused looks and nervous talk at the car shows!

Reactions: plumcrazy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Prefix is one of the premier Viper engine rebuilders in the country, so you did well going through them.

And putting a V-10 Mopar engine in a Chevy????? That should cause some confused looks and nervous talk at the car shows!
I figured as much so I chose it as a screen name😂. Great communication, photos of the rebuild, and dyno results. If anyone ever needed a rebuild I’d say go with them. I do a lot of custom stuff (when I have time) and knowing that you’re working with professionals takes all of the stress away from that part of the build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts