Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hooray for me, & fuck you
7,751 Posts
since it doesnt freeze out here.. id say run distilled h20 and water wetter.. it cools as well if not better..

dexcool is known to sludge up the whole system after a while too..

and since youre going to start tracking your car soon (right?).. if your radiator cracks open, everyone will be happy you didnt spew antifreeze all over the track.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
FUSCUCLA1 said:
Okay, Im going to need a 2nd and 3rd opinion on this distilled water plus water wetter idea.

Ill have to wait on the tracking my car thing. That 3rd session isnt such a breeze.
I've always used the distilled water and water wetter with great results. Going from a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water to this formula dropped 15 degrees in a 600hp+ large single turbo 3000GT.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't know if Water Wetter claims ot have the corrosion protection of antifreeze. Zerex Super Racing Coolant does. No freeze protection though so needs to be changed out in cold climates.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
DHK said:
Distilled water with water wetter not a good idea... Check the following post:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showfla...=true#Post43253

-David
Wrong, can't be the water. The de-ionization happens with all Aluminum radiators, regardless of what you use. Some antifreezes do have an Aluminum safe additive that does help prevent electrolytic corrosion, to a point. Once the additive has depleted, you'll still have problems unless you swap your fluids. The higher the percentage of dissolved minerals and salts in the coolant, the better it conducts electricity and the faster the Aluminum is eaten away. Using just plain tap water is the WORST thing you can do. Distilled water is pH neutral, contains no acids, dissolved salts or minerals and will maximize the life of the coolant.

I've never heard of any problems with Water Wetter so this is news to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was told that water wetter doesn't have silicates in it and that it's the silicates which "coats" the metallic surfaces and seals them from corrosion. The addatives in water wetter will help lengthen the life of the coolant, but the concentration of it is probably not high enough to avert corrosion. Straight distilled water can corrode motors. Shifter karts can run into this as they often run 100% distilled water. From my mediocre understanding of metallurgy, it's hard to prevent some aluminum alloys from corroding as the trace metals added to the aluminum (to control crystal structure or grain size) make it difficult to prevent corrosion. 100% aluminum is very corrosion resistant. Alclad, an aluminum sheet which is often used on aircraft and Airstream trailors, has a few thousanths coating of 100% aluminum. Many aircraft and Airstream trailors retain a mirror polish even when sitting out in poor weather. However, many alloys almost turn into powder all by themselves... I remember machining a block of aluminum which cut great, but it tarnished instantly from mere handling. Of course, it's only later that I find out that it had trace amounts of beryllium in it...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Zerex Racing Super Coolant runs like 95 water to 5 coolant. Doesn't have freeze protection but has all the corrosion characteristics of antifreeze. developed by the Navy and used in Nascar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.