2,657 Posts
There are 3 generations of Viper.

GenI
92-96/97(rt-10) 96 GTS

Gen II

97-02 GTS/RT-10

Gen III

03+ SRT-10, and CC.

As far as looks go, GTS kick ass. That's why my Viper is a 01 ACR.

· Premium Member
3,357 Posts
The 96 GTS was fully a Gen II.
The 96 RT/10 was the "Gen one-and-a-half".
By 97, RT/10's were fully Gen II.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Tanked said:
There are 3 generations of Viper.

GenI
92-96/97(rt-10) 96 GTS

Gen II

97-02 GTS/RT-10

Gen III

03+ SRT-10, and CC.

As far as looks go, GTS kick ass. That's why my Viper is a 01 ACR.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, GTS. I had to go out to the garage and take a peek at mine.

· Sexist
45,239 Posts
overdose said:
besides more hp and tor. would do you think looks bette the older viper 93-99 or the newer ones 00-05 i personally like the older models, they just look more aggressive to me. jmo
Learn your Viper.
92-02 same body style.
03+ new body style.

· Registered
14 Posts
Kothoga said:
Zonify said:
IMO the 03+ looks much better. Sleeker design and more of a supercar look.
Now we know that you should stay away from Vipers. Just buy a S2000. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
Well I guess I am in the younger generation of Future Viper owners, and hell you may not agree with me, but Dodge built it, and it obviously is a total overall improvement of 92-02 Vipers /images/graemlins/smiles :nod:

· Registered
2,842 Posts
Zonify said:
Kothoga said:
Zonify said:
IMO the 03+ looks much better. Sleeker design and more of a supercar look.
Now we know that you should stay away from Vipers. Just buy a S2000. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
Well I guess I am in the younger generation of Future Viper owners, and hell you may not agree with me, but Dodge built it, and it obviously is a total overall improvement of 92-02 Vipers /images/graemlins/smiles :nod:
There is never any right or wrong answer when it comes to style preference and I'm sure you are old enough to make up your own mind. Obviously, as you can tell from my avatar, I agree with you. If you get the opportunity to test drive different generations, there will be no doubt which version is better.

· Registered
975 Posts
I loved my 2000 as far as look go, but just drive it and you can't beat the '03 and on up. Then put a hard top on it and its even better. For some reason I love the car more with this hardtop on it.

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/33Vipermania_Top_003-med.jpg[/image]

· Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I currently own all three generations of Viper, including a highly modded (both body and engine) GTS. My neighbor has a GTS as well.

I can tell you that the Gen3 outperforms the Gen1&2 in just about every respect. It however is a tigher and more uncomfortable fit for somebody of my size (6'3 height), although they did add a tiny dead pedal which is nice. The stereo is the best sounding stock stereo of any sports car I have ever heard -- I realized this after putting a new deck in the car (leaving the stock speakers) -- the original stereo is under powered and doesn't drive the speakers well, and it sounds sooooo much better with a few more clean watts being pushed to them.

As for looks, our own opinions aside, I can tell you what draws more attention, and those local viper guys that have been around me with their cars can attest to this.

My red Gen1 RT/10 (with the rear wing and splitter) draws way more attention than the Gen 3 -- WAY MORE! Both are red, but the Gen1 is much, much louder and meaner sounding.

My Gen2 GTS (with modded body kit) draws much more attention than any Viper parked around it. The last two times I have gone to a racing event and parked the car next to 'regular' looking Vipers, people almost walk past the normal GTS's and go straight to my car. You either love or hate the look, but those are the facts in terms of the race crowd and when parked with 400 other cars.

As for the RT/10 vs a stock Gen2 GTS, the RT/10 draws more attention than the GTS when I am out with my neighbor -- most likely due to the fact that my car is topless, louder and red. I think a stock RT/10 looks incomplete, but with a small mopar or autoform wing, to me it looks better than the GTS, and most non-viper people I have met tend to agree (it just looks less like any other car out there.) Without the wing, I like the GTS better.

There ya go, from a guy who has owned a handful ov Vipers and currently owns one of each generation -- and will own a comp coupe street Viper if it is announced at VOI, the price is right, and it looks cool.

The question is, do I prefer a Turbo over a Supercharger? BAH! I don't own a turbo nor have I driven one, so I can't say. I am waiting for Dr. Roof to give his final opinion after he drives his new turbo car for a few hundred miles.

-Manny

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.