Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, what\'s next???

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 95 RT. (Very cool!)

I took it to my local Dodge dealer as part of the pre-sale. I asked the dealer to perform a multi-point check and report. I was told that their top Viper mechanic performed this cheek. (? – They supposedly have three Viper Techs) They reported that all looked good and passed my snake.

My question for all of you Viper folks - where do I go from here service-wise? The car has 17k on it. While my Viper will not be a daily driver, I do plan to use it extensively on weekends and for day trips and such. (I’ve clocked almost 1k miles since I purchased it about 2 months ago.) The records for my snake show only periodic changing of fluids – mostly just oil changes. (Mobil 1)

Do I spend bucks and drain everything? Get a tune up? Start with a major service? A minor Service? What do you all think?

As always, thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Re: Okay, what\'s next???

Green Snake said:
Eddie,

John Irish Dodge in San Rafael CA.

Hmmm... coolant tracks? Can you 'splain Lucy?

Cheers,
Greg
Bad head gaskets = coolant tracks beneath the heads on the block = $$ for new gaskets (damn expensive for a gasket set) + labor (usually too high). Unless you have a warranty on the car. Then, maybe you are out $100 deductible.

Welcome to the Alley. I am sure you will be given a proper welcome from some of the members. :fist:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Green Snake said:
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 95 RT. (Very cool!)

I took it to my local Dodge dealer as part of the pre-sale. I asked the dealer to perform a multi-point check and report. I was told that their top Viper mechanic performed this cheek. (? – They supposedly have three Viper Techs) They reported that all looked good and passed my snake.

My question for all of you Viper folks - where do I go from here service-wise? The car has 17k on it. While my Viper will not be a daily driver, I do plan to use it extensively on weekends and for day trips and such. (I’ve clocked almost 1k miles since I purchased it about 2 months ago.) The records for my snake show only periodic changing of fluids – mostly just oil changes. (Mobil 1)

Do I spend bucks and drain everything? Get a tune up? Start with a major service? A minor Service? What do you all think?

As always, thanks for your input!

I wouldn't worry. At 20K it must go to the scrap heap. Unsafe to drive and parts start falling off. I just did the service you speak of and had everything drained and changed and it cost me about $270 and my car has 8K miles. Probably not a bad idea to have it done while they change the head gaskets.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hello,

Oh, now I get it! I hadn’t heard the ‘head gasket’ issue referred to as ‘coolant tracks’. Sorry.

While I freely admit that I’m a Viper Nubian here, I did spend a lot of time poking around the Viper Alley forum gleaning what information I could from more experienced Viper owners before making my purchase. I tried to do my homework and so far I am happy with my new ‘pet’. The gasket issue is something I learned about here. Thanks!

That being said, despite the homework I did do, I’m sure you all will agree that one cannot completely understand/appreciate a Viper until a snake is in your own hands. I admittedly still have a ton to learn, but at some point you have to jump in or you’re just a bystander.

I did see that there is a Viper Alley recommended Viper Tech in San Jose which about 2 hours south of me and I may end up taking my snake there. While a two-hour drive in my Viper does appeal to me, truthfully it is a bit out of the way. I’m hoping that my local dealer can provide experienced support. Maybe I’m fooling myself here, but that’s is why I’m here asking you all these questions. So…’Yes’, I asked that the service tech check on the ‘coolant tracks’ and ‘Yes’ I have a warranty.

Okay, let the welcome beating begin! ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts

Welcome Green Snake! I expect a roadtrip out of you in the spring to northern california! I need some competition on the Autocross track next year. /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
5,888 Posts

Green Snake said:
Hello,

Oh, now I get it! I hadn’t heard the ‘head gasket’ issue referred to as ‘coolant tracks’. Sorry.

While I freely admit that I’m a Viper Nubian here, I did spend a lot of time poking around the Viper Alley forum gleaning what information I could from more experienced Viper owners before making my purchase. I tried to do my homework and so far I am happy with my new ‘pet’. The gasket issue is something I learned about here. Thanks!

That being said, despite the homework I did do, I’m sure you all will agree that one cannot completely understand/appreciate a Viper until a snake is in your own hands. I admittedly still have a ton to learn, but at some point you have to jump in or you’re just a bystander.

I did see that there is a Viper Alley recommended Viper Tech in San Jose which about 2 hours south of me and I may end up taking my snake there. While a two-hour drive in my Viper does appeal to me, truthfully it is a bit out of the way. I’m hoping that my local dealer can provide experienced support. Maybe I’m fooling myself here, but that’s is why I’m here asking you all these questions. So…’Yes’, I asked that the service tech check on the ‘coolant tracks’ and ‘Yes’ I have a warranty.

Okay, let the welcome beating begin! ;-)
He talks real purty, I like his mouth. With his nice polite "hello" and all his fancy words I bet he'll fit in real good around these parts. But seriously folks, post some pics or die a painful death. :fist: /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.