Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Sexist
43,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine cranks but won't start. I'm wondering if it is getting any fuel. Normally when I turn the key I listen for the fuel pump but I don't recall hearing the pump yesterday. If the pump doesn't fire up could the relay be bad? I'm hoping it is that easy. Car is about 15 miles away.

Taking my laptop to see if it throws any codes.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Engine cranks but won't start. I'm wondering if it is getting any fuel. Normally when I turn the key I listen for the fuel pump but I don't recall hearing the pump yesterday. If the pump doesn't fire up could the relay be bad? I'm hoping it is that easy. Car is about 15 miles away.

Taking my laptop to see if it throws any codes.

Any other suggestions?
Take a screw driver so you can arc a plug wire to ground to verify spark. Take a can of starting fluid to verify fuel.

·
Sexist
43,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Looking at the manual the "fuel" relay is actually the Automatic Shutdown Relay. I'll grab the one from my 97. Will check the spark too. Kinda tough without someone to help but I'll figure something out.

·
Sexist
43,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody got a simple trick to remove the relay? I assume they come out by pulling straight up but it isn't easy to get a grip.

·
Registered
551 Posts
It should just be a "standard" pronged relay. I quote standard as it's not a normal configuration being 5 prongs vs 4 but it should still just pull out without much effort.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Thanks. Will check the spark too. Kinda tough without someone to help but I'll figure something out.
It helps that the wires are long. I've done it in a pinch.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Anybody got a simple trick to remove the relay? I assume they come out by pulling straight up but it isn't easy to get a grip.
Can you angle in with a pocket screwdriver and pry up?

·
Registered
308 Posts
1. Push the gas pedal to the floor
2. Start the car
3. If you have to pump the pedal to keep the car running then:
A. IAC needs to be replaced
B. TPS relearn

·
Sexist
43,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. Will try tomorrow.

·
Sexist
43,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuel pump isn't firing up when I turn the key. I changed a relay, still no pump. Removing the pump requires removing the tank on an RT/10. Looks like I'm gonna be busy unless somebody has any more suggestions. I should probably test continuity first.

·
Premium Member
19,062 Posts
You should have called me Chuck!! Yes I bet it is your fuel pump. Yes, it will be a fucking PIA to pull the tank. Not a fun job, but should be able to do it in 9-10 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Fuel pmp relay and the ASD relay are two different relays.

Fuel pump relay: 25A fuse feeds the fuel pump relay at pin 1. Pin 5 feeds the fuel pump module. This per 98 circuit diagrams.

·
Sexist
43,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is what my 98 manual says.
The relay is located in the Power Distribution Center. For the location of the relay within the PDC, refer to the PDC cover for location.
Problem is, nothing on the cover of the PDC indicate "fuel". If I am reading the pin locations correctly Pin1 is a 15A for the Rear 02 and Pin5 is a 15A for the door system. I'm looking at the cover of my 97. I guess it is possible the cover of the 98 is different?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Here is what my 98 manual says.

Problem is, nothing on the cover of the PDC indicate "fuel". If I am reading the pin locations correctly Pin1 is a 15A for the Rear 02 and Pin5 is a 15A for the door system. I'm looking at the cover of my 97. I guess it is possible the cover of the 98 is different?
Pin 1 and 5 of the relay socket not the fuses.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Fuse to fuel pump relay is #4 (25A). per 98 service manual. So you should have 12V on pin of the fuel pump relay.

The 12V to ASD relay is fed by fuse #15 (20A).

·
Sexist
43,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there another fuse box I need to look at? Nothing on this cover explicitely indicates fuel pump.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
On my RT 10 that relay is in the trunk,.drivers side in the fuse relay box. I made a simple jumper wire and connected the two pins so that I could drain my fuel tank via the fuel line going into the manifold. On key On, the pump would run via this jumper method. When I began to hear cavitation, I'd turn the key off, wait for the basket to fill again....wash rinse repeat. I may have a write up on this I'll find and post.

Reactions: GTS Dean
1 - 20 of 32 Posts