Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I pulled the heads and intake manifold off. Sure enough bad lifter and one bent pushrod. Now what? I was thinking about getting a new cam (708), pushrods(hardened), 1.7 rockers(Sharp) and lifters(stock). I checked with Roe and I can get all of it for about $1,510. I'd rather go with T&D rockers and a lumpy ass cam but...it takes money I don't have.

I'll need new head gaskets too. Anyone know where I can get them cheap?

I talked to Heffner. If I wait, I can get a set of P&P heads for another 3500-4000 depending on what I get done.

So here is my dilemma.

1.) Wait 3-4 months until I have the $1500 to get the parts so I can fix it.

2.) Save money until this time next year and have P&P heads/lumpy cam/rockers.

3.) Fix it back to stock and forget about mods...I'll burn all that money in gas :D

4.) Have the car down for the next 3-5 years and build a 1000rwhp turbo monster.


If I get h/c/r...I still have STOCK exhust system. That's almost funny. :squint:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
How did you damage the lifter and pushrod? Over-rev due to a mis-shift (such as 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th)?

Tanked said:
Well guys, I pulled the heads and intake manifold off. Sure enough bad lifter and one bent pushrod. Now what? I was thinking about getting a new cam (708), pushrods(hardened), 1.7 rockers(Sharp) and lifters(stock). I checked with Roe and I can get all of it for about $1,510. I'd rather go with T&D rockers and a lumpy ass cam but...it takes money I don't have.

I'll need new head gaskets too. Anyone know where I can get them cheap?

I talked to Heffner. If I wait, I can get a set of P&P heads for another 3500-4000 depending on what I get done.

So here is my dilemma.

1.) Wait 3-4 months until I have the $1500 to get the parts so I can fix it.

2.) Save money until this time next year and have P&P heads/lumpy cam/rockers.

3.) Fix it back to stock and forget about mods...I'll burn all that money in gas :D

4.) Have the car down for the next 3-5 years and build a 1000rwhp turbo monster.


If I get h/c/r...I still have STOCK exhust system. That's almost funny. :squint:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TRDSupra said:
How did you damage the lifter and pushrod? Over-rev due to a mis-shift (such as 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th)?
I did miss a shift about 4 months ago. I don't remember over-reving it.

That is the worst part. It "just happened" out of the blue. Fucking sucks.


Maybe I did it when I raced the 911 Turbo. :cursin:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigCarrot said:
Damn bro, if you have to save 3 or 4 months to spend $1,500 to get your car running, you might want to consider something other than a 2001 ACR. Not trying to be an asshole, but damn!

No harm done BC. I have all extra funds to pay off this house. I'm also "moding" the hell out of our house now. I'm adding over 1100sq-ft. Should be bad ass when we are done. :thumb: So having to wait is ok with me. I'd love to go out and start on my turbo system...but I promised the wife she'd get a new SLK350 before I do that. I mean, it's only fair. She bought me a Viper...she should drive something better than a Kia. At least we don't have car payments. I'm going to put my viper on Comprehensive (sp?) only. Until I finnish fixing it. I love not having car payments. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
Sign up for a new credit card that lets you transfer balances at 0% for the next year. Then spend whatever you feel like right now and pay it off with this new credit card "transfer"... then you have a year to really pay for it. if you are taking the heads off, just send them out to greg good for a week of work (minimal downtime)... or just fix it. either way, it is prime driving time... don't miss it!

JD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
Considering that the car won't have all of the original lifetrs andd pushrods anymore I would say that the car is more or less worthless. I would sell it. allow me to make the first offer. :lol: Just kiding with you. You should be able to get the car back together fairly cheap. I have a set of stock lifters that I will give you. I probably have some pushrods as well. Then all you will need is gaskets and fluids. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
I'm curious why you pulled the heads?

But at any rate it sounds like your quite busy with the house and what not. I would just order some Mopar lifters, new set of smith bros pushrods, new set of stiffer valve springs and maybe some 1.7 roller rockers. You will get out for well under a grand and the car will be better than new.

Oh and taking the viper off full coverage is just ASKING for trouble. Last thing you want is some kid hitting it or god knows what and you lose your ass on the whole deal.
 

·
Banned Since 2003
Joined
·
17,833 Posts
Heffner Performance said:
Considering that the car won't have all of the original lifetrs andd pushrods anymore I would say that the car is more or less worthless. I would sell it. allow me to make the first offer. :lol: Just kiding with you. You should be able to get the car back together fairly cheap. I have a set of stock lifters that I will give you. I probably have some pushrods as well. Then all you will need is gaskets and fluids. :thumb:
A classy/generous offer Jason. :thumb:

Tanked. This is your best bet. Take it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JID said:
Sign up for a new credit card that lets you transfer balances at 0% for the next year. Then spend whatever you feel like right now and pay it off with this new credit card "transfer"... then you have a year to really pay for it. if you are taking the heads off, just send them out to greg good for a week of work (minimal downtime)... or just fix it. either way, it is prime driving time... don't miss it!

JD

Good idea, but I don't use credit cards. :fist: credit companies. I hate to pay interest. I'd rather wait. The only reason I have a home loan is because I couldn't come up with more than 20% down.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
acrdakota said:
Q 1.) I'm curious why you pulled the heads?


Q 2.) Oh and taking the viper off full coverage is just ASKING for trouble. Last thing you want is some kid hitting it or god knows what and you lose your ass on the whole deal.
A 1.) I had to pull the heads and the intake mani to get to the lifters.

A 2.) With comprehensive, my viper is covered, except when driven. Someone can come steel my car and I'd still be covered. But between ADT and my AR-15 (with mods :wink: )...I think I'm covered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,471 Posts
BigCarrot said:
Damn bro, if you have to save 3 or 4 months to spend $1,500 to get your car running, you might want to consider something other than a 2001 ACR. Not trying to be an asshole, but damn!


Nobody ever accused tanked of being smart....
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top