Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out driving yesterday and as I came to a stop I noticed the actual oil light flickered on....I glanced at the oil psi gauge on the dash and that was showing 50psi or so at idle so I shut the car off and checked the level and it was still above the lower hash ....I've never noticed it leaking anywhere, but I'd assume there is some burning going on. I added a quart and it was ok and then about an hour later of driving the light came back on and the level is near the top hash....oil psi light is still good. Are these things known for having issues with the oil level or oil psi sensor? Any other suggestions to look for?

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,625 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in soon on this but I'd start by ruling out the oil sending unit, oil pressure switch, and oil pressure gauge. These are reasonably easy to check and have detailed instructions on pages 8E-2 thru 8E-4.

Good luck man.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,058 Posts
Quite likely the problem originates with the indicator sending unit. I don't think it's available any longer. It is the rearmost one that screws into the block.

Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure others will chime in soon on this but I'd start by ruling out the oil sending unit, oil pressure switch, and oil pressure gauge. These are reasonably easy to check and have detailed instructions on pages 8E-2 thru 8E-4.

Good luck man.
Im assuming that's in the service manual....Suggestions on where I can get that? Do they offer an online or e-manual?

Quite likely the problem originates with the indicator sending unit. I don't think it's available any longer. It is the rearmost one that screws into the block.
OK I will check that out. Thanks sir!

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,625 Posts

Good luck man.
Im assuming that's in the service manual....Suggestions on where I can get that? Do they offer an online or e-manual?
Mike has a the manuals you need!

Direct from the service manual:

Engine oil pressure sending unit test-
(1)To test the sending unit, measure the resistance between the sending unit terminal and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read between 0 and 10 ohms. (2) Start the engine. The ohmmeter should read between 30 and 55 ohms, depending on the engine speed, oil temperature, and oil viscosity. (3) if the above results are not obtained, replace the switch.

Engine Oil Pressure Switch Test-
(1) To test the normally closed oil lamp circuit, disconnect the locking connector and measure the resistance between the switch terminal and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read 0 ohms. (2) start the engine. If there is oil pressure, the ohmmeter should read an open circuit. If not, replace switch.

Engine oil pressure gauge Test-
(1) ignition switch in the on position and the engine not running, the engine oil pressure gauge should read zero. (2) ignition switch in the on position, the engine not running, disconnect the oil pressure sensor and engine oil pressure gauge should read maximum oil pressure. If okay, test oil pressure sensor.

And

Low oil pressure warning lamp Test-
to test the system, turn the ignition key to the on position. If the lamp fails to light, inspect for broken or disconnected wires at the oil pressure sensor unit located at the front of the engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike has a the manuals you need!

Direct from the service manual:

Engine oil pressure sending unit test-
(1)To test the sending unit, measure the resistance between the sending unit terminal and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read between 0 and 10 ohms. (2) Start the engine. The ohmmeter should read between 30 and 55 ohms, depending on the engine speed, oil temperature, and oil viscosity. (3) if the above results are not obtained, replace the switch.

Engine Oil Pressure Switch Test-
(1) To test the normally closed oil lamp circuit, disconnect the locking connector and measure the resistance between the switch terminal and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read 0 ohms. (2) start the engine. If there is oil pressure, the ohmmeter should read an open circuit. If not, replace switch.

Engine oil pressure gauge Test-
(1) ignition switch in the on position and the engine not running, the engine oil pressure gauge should read zero. (2) ignition switch in the on position, the engine not running, disconnect the oil pressure sensor and engine oil pressure gauge should read maximum oil pressure. If okay, test oil pressure sensor.

And

Low oil pressure warning lamp Test-
to test the system, turn the ignition key to the on position. If the lamp fails to light, inspect for broken or disconnected wires at the oil pressure sensor unit located at the front of the engine.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,140 Posts

OK I will check that out. Thanks sir!

I have a few manuals, what year is your car?

My buddy just had the exact same issue. I gave him a loaner switch, fixed the problem. Was suppose to be a loaner, but don't think I will see it ever again........................

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a few manuals, what year is your car?

My buddy just had the exact same issue. I gave him a loaner switch, fixed the problem. Was suppose to be a loaner, but don't think I will see it ever again........................
Mine is a 1998.....I wish I had a buddy like you! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts