Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of having my tranny, diff and engine oil analyzed before my warranty runs out in Aug.
Has anyone had this done and if so what lab did you use. I'd like to find someone that is familiar with Vipers.
We do this all the time at my dealership for heavy duty diesel engines and trannys, but before I check with them I wanted to see if this is common in the Viper community.
Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
I do my Power-Stroke Diesels every other oil change. I use Blackstone Labs, www.blackstone-labs.com
They send very useful reports, their containers they provide for free are very clean & simple to use, and the cost is reasonable for what you get. Give them a try, you will not be disappointed.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts
Oil samples are more useful if done regularly. If you don't have a string of them to review, you won't have much luck spotting a trend in wear metals, fuel dilution, water, etc. Looking at a single report, you might look at aluminum, or iron and ask "is this a good number or a bad number?" The answer? "Compared to what? It's hard to say."

·
Registered
458 Posts
Blackstone will give you a wear indicator based on the miles on the oil, the engine, and then compare that to the average of thier database. I have not done it for the Viper. Will do so on next oil change, since I am already doing the Power-Strokes. Go to their website and you can see examples.
But, to get a good/accurate wear history of your own vehicles, you will need to submit several samples over the life of the vehicle. I only do the P-S every other time because we change it every 3000 - 3500 miles, which can sometimes be as short as 9 days! :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts