Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So an afterthought of the Viper Nationals last weekend. . ..

I came back to the track on Sunday after the party and was working on packing myself and everyone else back up to head home. Next thing you know, a guy I met the previous year at the track shows up. His name is John and he had bought his silver RT about the same time as me the previous year and didn't make it out for the whole event because his car was "broke" this weekend (He said it was his clutch, yeah, join the club). Anyway, he said after running it for the first time last year at Norwalk stock/Corsa CB at 12.15 @ 115.2, he said he caught the bug. Since then, he has worked with TNT to build a fast fucking car. We didn't go through all his mods, but he is running a 300 shot of NOS and said his best time this year was on street tires (Pirellis) and went 9.69 @ 141 mph !! After seeing Ward run a 10.7 on street tires the day before, I thought I had seen the fastest street tire run ever. Well, John said he definitely plans on showing up next year and hopes to have his car in the 8's by then with a few more tweaks and some good drag radials or slicks.

Anyway, there was some discussion as to someone, somewhere to begin keeping an official record of Viper drag racing records according to set-up. Seems there will always be bickering about who can run in what class with certain mods and what not. For those who know me, there is no doubt I'm not the expert on how this should be set up, but I do think there should be a push for some sort of formal classes and record keeping. While Viper drags seem a small part of the overall Viper kingdom, the numbers still reflect torque and HP that we all can appreciate.

I would say for the most part that records would be set primarily during the 4-5 larger events each year with the big tuners participating (V10 nationals, Viper Nationals, etc), but a guy flying under the radar like my friend John who lays down a 9.69 on street tires on a random Friday night at his local track could get the record as long as his set-up was coraborated by a track official.

Just thinkin' out loud.
Discuss.

·
Latest JEDI Weapon!
575 Posts
Venmous,

Please delete the e.t. part of your post.....9.69 on radials is blatent bullshit.....and I for one don't want you to look bad.

BTW,

On .org there is a section for records called the record keeper. It contains information like best hp, torque, mph, elapsed time..and so forth...and I believe it even allows for the user to input the vehicle modifications and tuner.

Take care,

Tom

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
where is that good old BS meter anyway?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
hell, last friday at the local test n tune I saw a Gen 1 with skinnies on the rear run a 8.40 at 237 while the dude was chuggin a bud.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
John told me he has a stroker with a lot of mods from TNT. He was kind enough to take me to the Corsa Factory, where Corsa's Jim Browning Jr. left his family in a local park and he came to the Corsa Factory to do some minor repairs to my Corsa - 2 pipes came apart due to engine torque at Viper Nationals.

I have no reason to doubt John's claim of 9.69 @ 141 mph , but in my very limited experience of drag racing my Viper, I have noticed the track's preperation makes a huge difference in how a car will run on it. I think Big Dog Viper should be the results of the better Vipers running at the same dragstrip on the same day to equalize everything except for car & driver so the best Big Dog Viper can be found.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have watched the 9 sec viper world for almost 2 years, and I know the struggles etc... in order to get to that level. Ther has not been a viper in the 9's on drag radials. TNT has a quick car that has run in the mid nines, but I don't see this to be true.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Shit, an encore performance from the Viperjudge. Dont we all feel special now? :rolleyes: Just what I wanted :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The thing that doesn't make sense is the MPH. I don't think 141 is enough to propel that car to a 9.6
Running a mid 9 on a drag radial is nothing special, I mean shit, the MSP Supra ran a [email protected] on drag radials (world record for drag radials) and the Titan Supra ran a [email protected] through a 6 speed on drag radials. A 9.6 is possible, with a 141 trap? I don't know about that...
Peter

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ViperJEDI said:
Venmous,

Please delete the e.t. part of your post.....9.69 on radials is blatent bullshit.....and I for one don't want you to look bad.

BTW,

On .org there is a section for records called the record keeper. It contains information like best hp, torque, mph, elapsed time..and so forth...and I believe it even allows for the user to input the vehicle modifications and tuner.

Take care,

Tom
I'm not deleting anything. I don't care if anyone thinks I look bad. I couldn't care less. I'm just reporting what I've been told from the horse's mouth. PM me and I'll give you John's phone number and you can call him a liar directly or better yet, get in touch with Nick and TNT and see what he has to say.
Did I see it? NO
Do I have any reason to believe this guy is lying? NO

I was even badgering him about it because I couldn't believe it. My first thought was BS, but John is the most matter-of-fact non BS-ing kind of guy I've ever met.

Here is what I do know.
John will have his TNT machine at the track at Norwalk next year for the Viper Nationals.
I posted those numbers because I know nobody has ever seen them before since John doesn't peruse the boards or belong to the VCA for that matter.

Starting some shit and looks like it has worked.
Not bullshit mind you, but was curious to see what type of response those numbers would evoke.

Don't want ME to look bad? C'mon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
262 Posts
houstonT said:
The thing that doesn't make sense is the MPH. I don't think 141 is enough to propel that car to a 9.6
Running a mid 9 on a drag radial is nothing special, I mean shit, the MSP Supra ran a [email protected] on drag radials (world record for drag radials) and the Titan Supra ran a [email protected] through a 6 speed on drag radials. A 9.6 is possible, with a 141 trap? I don't know about that...
Peter

has big daddy beaten that yet?

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/experts/articles/06182003sportscar.jsp

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The MSP Supra went to the Domestic vs. Import races and beat Big Daddy in the finals. The MSP Supra has the world record still on drag radials and big daddy is second.
Peter

·
Latest JEDI Weapon!
575 Posts
I'm not deleting anything. I don't care if anyone thinks I look bad. I couldn't care less. I'm just reporting what I've been told from the horse's mouth. PM me and I'll give you John's phone number and you can call him a liar directly or better yet, get in touch with Nick and TNT and see what he has to say.
Did I see it? NO
Do I have any reason to believe this guy is lying? NO

I was even badgering him about it because I couldn't believe it. My first thought was BS, but John is the most matter-of-fact non BS-ing kind of guy I've ever met.

Here is what I do know.
John will have his TNT machine at the track at Norwalk next year for the Viper Nationals.
I posted those numbers because I know nobody has ever seen them before since John doesn't peruse the boards or belong to the VCA for that matter.

Starting some shit and looks like it has worked.
Not bullshit mind you, but was curious to see what type of response those numbers would evoke.

Don't want ME to look bad? C'mon. :rolleyes: [/quote]

Whatever, Chief. When a Viper runs 9's on STOCK TIRES it will be alot more than hearsay! I wish there was a Graemlin showing a Buffalo fucking a Monkey..cause thats what needs to be right here!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Venmous
Not only is this funny it is funny bull shit. Nick driving Tony Kirks Viper with slicks and skinnys has a hard time hitting 9.6 even though he has hit a 9.5.

Because this "John" told you and you believe everything that you are told, to funny. Maybe he can go to the track and when someone runs a 9.6 he can buy the time slip and post it here. I love the part where you say "if you don't believe me I will give you John's or Nick's number, call them" to funny.

Running the tires that you say that he is running is one hell of a hole shot.

If this was close to true Nick would have posted a time slip. I have called nick, I talked to him just the other day and no mention of a LOL 9.6 what ever. I needed this today to funny. :busted: :busted: /images/graemlins/yay.gif

Maybe you have been hanging out w/Drew Carry to long or Oswald.

Ven, get John or Nick to post

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
houstonT said:
Peter
Well - not sure - but a friends drag car - a Mopar A-body weighs 3000lb and runs 870hp at crank with 727 auto trans and big slicks with adjustable rear links etc. Car runs 1.3 60 footers and 9.2 at 148mph best. As he runs on index at times - car often runs 9.9s at low 140's - but he backs off before traps.

A 9.69 on a street car at 141 means he backed off early or has a chassis setup better than many dedicated drag cars.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
houstonT said:
The MSP Supra went to the Domestic vs. Import races and beat Big Daddy in the finals. The MSP Supra has the world record still on drag radials and big daddy is second.
Peter
Didn't the Japanese HKS Skylines run in the 7's on DOT tires and 6's in a GTR powered drag Sylvia on slicks?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts