Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
local shop doesnt have any in stock and i wont be able to order them in time. is anyone coming to bradenton who can bring me a set of NGK BKR7E plugs i can buy? id appreciate it, thnx in advance. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I've got 11 6097(BKR7E) plugs here in my garage. I can ship them to you.

But before that, go to Advance Auto and ask for 6097(BKR7E). They should be able to get them in 1 day.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Are these the BKR7E11's ? I have about 50 in stock, i can overnight them if need be!

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnx guys, after i posted, a buddy of mine at summit came through

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what are nitrous users gapping these type of plugs at?

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
If you don't run leaded gas, you can go with an iridium plug that is 1 step colder than the BKR7E. Iridium plugs last longer under high cylinder pressures, but don't last long under leaded gas.

It is the NGK BKR8EIX, Stock# 2668. Just another option.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, i will be using UNLEADED. i was also told gap should be 28-30. so, we got a bit of a debate here. guess ill look into it further. if i dont win it sure as hell isnt going to be because of a preventable breakdown situation

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is there 108 octane unleaded fuel for when you're using nitrous?

.032-.035 gap work on every application I have ever know about. The gap is set to burn the mixture efficiently and light the mixture effectively. Keep in mind that the plug does not know that it's in a Viper motor or a small import motor. The plug only knows the environment it's in.

I'm not a Viper tuner or expert, so I won't argue if you receive advice from one that is a bit different from mine. I would start with .035 and then do a plug reading if you have time. If you suffer spark blowout and missing, then gap the plugs down a bit. Hopefully you'll have time to test a bit. Joe Donovan should be able to put you in the right direction I assume.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I agree with racetested, start with .035" and if misfire occurs, gap it down .002-.003" and retest.

As for the highest octane unleaded fuel that is readily avaiable is VP MS109, which has a motor octane of 101 and research of 109.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Rich:

In general the OEM gap is .032-.035. The only thing that changes with the N2O is that the cylinder pressure increases. This means a smaller gap, not wider. A misfire will come from going too wide. A good compromise is .025.

Another hint, with the heads off the plugs threads should be exactly flush with plane of the heads. Protruding or recessed both create different yet negative issues. This is the major problem with the use of washers to index the plugs.

To continue, for some reason our motors seem to work well with even the stock plug and N2O. Tom Welch has hundreds of runs on the oem plugs. If you want to point at a problem it is that the oem plug is an extended tip. Even a plug of the same heat range and a non-extended bit should be better on N2O. By going to a non-extended bit it is like retarding the timing by a bit. When you then run rich (10.5-11.0) like many of us do, you again quasi-retard the timing. That is also why our cars do not typically require the retard like many cars do. How's that for plugs 101.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Rich, As I've I've said on the phone, better to go with the 8 heat range plug when running nitrous.

I don't like the stock plug regardless of the heat range due to the extremely extended side electrode.

Get ready to drink some beers this weekend bud, I'm ready to party.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Granted this is not a direct comparison, but my car was fine at .030" and 15psi which yielded ~900rwhp.

Anything above 15psi, I had to drop the gap to .025".

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jack B said:
Rich:
By going to a non-extended bit it is like retarding the timing by a bit. When you then run rich (10.5-11.0) like many of us do, you again quasi-retard the timing. That is also why our cars do not typically require the retard like many cars do. How's that for plugs 101.
Jack,
How is a non projected plug like retarding the timing? A projected plug was designed to burn more of the mixture and make emissions cleaner. When running nitrous or boost that causes higher cylinder temps 'after' combustion, this projected tip can stay hot like a glow plug and cause pre-ignition on the next compression stroke. A non projected plug will cool itself more as there is less distance to the plug tip, but this is not like retarding timing.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
so even with my 100 shot should I gap closer than .035? The only mis I notice is above 5800rpms, but then again on the strip I shift way before that. so I guess if alls well then leave it alone?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey Rich,
You will be using 110 leaded while at this race if you use the fuel I am bringing for you. I wouldn't suggest using it every day because it is not good for the O2 sensors...it will be fine for the race. I like to gap the plugs between .028 and .032 for nitrous, that is where I have had the best luck.
See ya there,
Joe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.