Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm wondering if there would be any kind Viper owners out there that can help me?

I'm a 44 y/o and have always dreamed of someday owning a Viper - particularly a RT/10. This, for no other reason than I think this model in particular is super sexy looking.

Unfortunately - such as life goes, I was recently diagnosed with cancer. As such, I have decided to see if I can make this dream come true for myself sooner rather than later. I don't have a ton of money, so I'm thinking that I'll have to look for hopefully a clean older RT/10 with maybe (hopefully) 20K or so on the odometer.

I would appreciate any words of wisdom of things to stay away from or look for and maybe model years to avoid - if any - and why? I live in California and hope to identify a car within California. I know about CARFAX and taking the car to a dealer (?) to check it out. Is it possible to buy after market "warranty insurance?" If so, who? Anything else?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks for your time in advance!

Cheers,
Greg

·
Out to lunch
5,863 Posts
It's Real simple, If you can come up with 30K-33K and look a little, you can get a clean fine running Gen 1 viper.

There really isn't anything else to it. It's not rocket science, no one is going to give you one. Vipers are commodities like anything else.

30K-33K and some searching = Problem solved.

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
^^ What he said...and add you're not gonna get a warranty on a GenI, don't get ripped off by someone trying to sell you one, there maybe some out there that still have a transferable extended warranty, but I doubt it...and there are plenty of Viper people in Kali that can look at any prospects you may be considering, to help you determine if the car is worth buying.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
With a Gen I, the newer it is, the better it'll be. Make sure it has had the head gasket rebuild done (a Gen I problem), and if you take it to a dealer, find one with a real Viper tech. This site just started keeping a list of them, and there are a few listed in CA already:

http://www.viperalley.com/viperinfo/techs.php

I doubt you'll find one with only 20K miles in the 30K price range, though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All,

Thanks for all of your comments.

I understand that condition, mileage and year all play a part in the final cost of any car and I understand no one will be giving away their Viper! That being said, my budget for the sake of argument is 45k or so. I could go a little higher if the 'right' deal came along. Yadda, yadda.

I own a '92 Mits 3000GT VR4 with low miles. (17k) I'm wondering what service things I should ask about/check concerning a Viper? With low mileage cars that may be 8, 10 or more years old, when do you perform service and on what schedule? With this car, I just wing it since I haven’t had anyone convince me that they know any better. Again, I live in CA so short of rain, I can drive all year. I don't have to put a car away for the season.

For example, I had the timing belt changed on my VR4 only because the car is older than 10 years old - the mileage didn't dictate the change. I just didn't want to take a chance of blowing up the motor to save a $1500.00 service cost. How do you folks deal with low mileage Vipers service?

What kind of service costs could I typically expect if I drive only 1000 miles or so a year assuming the car I buy checks out clean and is up to date with its service records?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm doing what everyone says to do, "Do the homework. No regrets!”

Thanks again for all you help!

Cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
859 Posts
With $45K you can get most any Gen 1 RT and might be able to find a high milage Gen 2.

Service costs are not really that much different from any car. It is not a complicated high tech motor!

1000 miles a year? I don't think so... They are just way too much fun to drive!!! :thumb:

Lost of good information on the differences between model years can be found here: Model Year Differences

·
Registered
975 Posts
For $45K you can get a good Gen II. I sold my 2000 GTS for $43K and it was in perfect condition. So definitely look around, but I would go for a Gen II. In our paper this weekend there was an '01 GTS and he was asking $49,000.

Like everyone said, California has the most viper owners in the country so if you find one, have someone go look at it for you I'm sure they would be happy to do it. If you find one in the central valley email me and I would be glad to help

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,163 Posts
For $45, don't bother with a Gen I. You can get a nice Gen II (96.5 on up for the GTS, or 97 on up for the R/T). When Woodbury says "high miles," we are talking 30K miles or so. Most people drive 3-4K miles per year, so there a lot of low mileage cars that are considered "high mileage" by Viper standards. Don't let that worry you; the cars themselves are quite rugged and low-maintenance; they are as low maintenance as any conventional vehicle (aside from a few unusual things, like making sure to oil the door hinges).

Each year has improvements, and the lower the year, the more little "things" you need to ensure were performed in its maintenance history.

I would go over the www.viperclub.org and do some searches. Lists of things to look for, for each year, have been addressed again and again over there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.