Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, This is my 2nd post and the first with pictures of my 02 GTS. I have a slight problem. If you look at the pictures you'll notice their is hood gap on each side. I took it to my local Viper tech(I live in Charleston, SC) and he said the hood was perfectly aligned and he could do nothing. He made an appointment for me at their bodyshop to see if they could do anything. Do you guys know of a way to adjust this to get rid of the gap? I checked the vin before I bought it and it came back clean with nothing ever reported. Thanks for any help you can give. I'll give a little background info on myself since I have so few posts if anyone is wondering. I am an E-5 in the Air Force here in SC, I am a Jet Engine Instructor for the C-17(this is the newest cargo airlift in the U.S. arsenal, cadillac of big airplanes). Been stationed here for 6 years and have had my Viper for about two months now. All I have on the car now is K&N's and smooth tubes. Upgrades to come are 547 HRE's,1 3/4 in Bellanger Headers, Hi-Flow Cats, Borla exhaust,Snake Hydes Interior and Roe S/C in that order over an 18 month timeframe. Sorry for the long post but thought I should introduce myself better than on my first post. The pictures are from the dealer I bought the car from, haven't got a digital camera yet. Can anyone help with the hood?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
That gap looks fine to me. Now, if that gap was a lot bigger and the gap on the other side was smaller, then you would need to fix it. If the gap on the other side looks like the one in the pic, then your hood is fine.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The hieadlights need to be adjusted to the hood, then the bumper needs to be adjusted to the headlights. This is not an easy task. the body shop should know how to do it. Basically, there is a bunch of adjustments that needs to be done to make it look right. I have not personally done it, but I have seen all the shims, etc that they do it with.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
It is a touch high, but hey, mine are a bit off too, just something you have to suck up a lot of the time. You can try to adjust the little "wheels" that cushion the hood near the front.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You don't want it too tight, the hood will shift a little during hard driving. You want a little space so the hood doesn't rub against the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Its a tad on the hight side, but mine tends to sit too low. I'd leave it and don't worry about it - as long as both sides are about the same like everybody else said.

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
Gap is good at the side sill level, and the nose...so adjusting the hood isn't going to do anything.

It doesn't look bad, just a tad high.

MM

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
just leave it alone. you'll probably make it worse. you can't see it from teh inside anyway.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
who is kidding who, that is high, to high. Go to the photos of smokins car, look at the other viper photos, to high.

some tech lazy butts will say they can do nothing because they are lazy butt heads. At N.W. Dodge their tech would fix that.

Look at the photos of Dr. Roofs yellow, not that high.
sorry Charlie, to high, you could loose your hand in that gap.

·
Registered
481 Posts
BigMac said:
Hey guys, This is my 2nd post and the first with pictures of my 02 GTS. I have a slight problem. If you look at the pictures you'll notice their is hood gap on each side. I took it to my local Viper tech(I live in Charleston, SC) and he said the hood was perfectly aligned and he could do nothing. He made an appointment for me at their bodyshop to see if they could do anything. Do you guys know of a way to adjust this to get rid of the gap? I checked the vin before I bought it and it came back clean with nothing ever reported. Thanks for any help you can give. I'll give a little background info on myself since I have so few posts if anyone is wondering. I am an E-5 in the Air Force here in SC, I am a Jet Engine Instructor for the C-17(this is the newest cargo airlift in the U.S. arsenal, cadillac of big airplanes). Been stationed here for 6 years and have had my Viper for about two months now. All I have on the car now is K&N's and smooth tubes. Upgrades to come are 547 HRE's,1 3/4 in Bellanger Headers, Hi-Flow Cats, Borla exhaust,Snake Hydes Interior and Roe S/C in that order over an 18 month timeframe. Sorry for the long post but thought I should introduce myself better than on my first post. The pictures are from the dealer I bought the car from, haven't got a digital camera yet. Can anyone help with the hood?

Hey I moved from Charkeston 4 years ago! I used to go to the base in my GTS all the time.

That hood does looks a bit higher than normal. May I ask who your Viper tech is?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Viper tech is the only one I could find in the area. A fella at Rick Hendrick Dodge in West Ashley. Its cool you are familiar with the base, who did you take your Viper to when you were here?

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Some hood gap is normal, but you can adjust the gap yourself. It's easy. There are two screw posts positioned right next to each headlight just behind the front fascia. Tweak them until you get the gap right, then soak 'em down in Loc-Tite. You have to adjust them both -- if you get just one right, it will end up being wrong when you start adjusting the other one. Also, keep an eye on the front of your hood to make sure it doesn't come to rest on the headlights.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I think...first of all look at how the hood lines up at the mirrors...is it flush? Then look at how the hood lines up at the very front in comparison with the fascia. If it is also flush....leave it. If I look at your pics, it's hard to tell but the front center looks good and the back where it comes up to the mirrors look good. So I don't think making an adjustment will help, because then one of the other two areas won't line up.
Just my $.02!

·
Premium Member
19,230 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
Some hood gap is normal, but you can adjust the gap yourself. It's easy. There are two screw posts positioned right next to each headlight just behind the front fascia. Tweak them until you get the gap right, then soak 'em down in Loc-Tite. You have to adjust them both -- if you get just one right, it will end up being wrong when you start adjusting the other one. Also, keep an eye on the front of your hood to make sure it doesn't come to rest on the headlights.
Hey BigMac,
Mcguire is correct and the gap doesn't look that bad at all. Also, check your PM's, I am heading up your way soon to catch a MAC flight to Germany, maybe I'll let you be my "wingman" /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The photos are kinda misleading. The right hand side is at least a half inch more than the left. I can actually press down on the right side of the hood and the two sides come out even. But when I drive it the vibration brings the right side back up. Its pretty noticeable to anyone who knows what it is supposed to look like. I looked at the screw posts last night and I just don't see how they could make that big of a difference since since the front of the hood is completely flush with the front bumper. Am I completely wrong about this? Check your PM 96 R/T 10..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts