Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the GM unveiling. New Z06 is supposed to run the 1/4 mile in mid-11s @ over 120 mph and have top speed of over 190. It weights in at 3130 lbs.

That's pretty fucking sorry, if you ask me. All that hype. Guys at the vette forums were wetting themselves in hopes of 10 second car off the showroom floor.

At least now I know I definitely won't be buying one.

·
Premium Member
19,646 Posts
You're kidding, right? The over expectation of a 10 second showroom stock car is a fantasy. Stock in the mid 11's is stupid fast, drop on the DR and a cold air intake, low 11's to high 10's will be the result with the right driver. I'll be interested in the price, I have seen two numbers (62K and 75K), but with the limited build numbers of this car, watch the dealers kick it up to the $80K range :cursin: :cursin:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's just it. Stock (and I mean STOCK) C5 Z06 are very capable of 11s. The record is 11.7X. That's with paper filter, F1 tires, stock intake, etc. I just don't see the big improvement. And I like/own a Z06, so this isn't Chevy bashing. In my opinion, it's a let down after all the hype.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THE CHAD said:
How does it compare to Chevy's C5Z06 published numbers. I bet it is a half second and 5 mph faster than the old car.
Hmmmm, dunno the numbers off the top of my head. But that was a 346 vs a 427. I hope to God that they're severely underrating the hp on the new Z. Maybe one will find its way into the hands of a decent driver who can put it into low 11 / very high 10 territory. That would be impressive.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gerald said:
wow, now the Z is a high 10 second car stock with a good driver.......
I didn't say it IS a 10 second car. I said MAYBE it's possible to hit low 11s or very high 10s with a good driver behind the wheel. I don't really remember any car mag giving the C5 Z06 sub-12 second numbers yet guys like Jrod and Ranger have put totally stock Zs well into 11s. So, judging from the GM-advertised mid-11 numbers, it MAY be possible to dip a stock C6 Z into low 11s or high 10s. A pair of ET Streets and some basic bolt-ons should easily put it into 10s.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I"m guess 10.5 STOCK. only mods will be heads/cam/drag radials/full exhaust/gears/shocks/filters.

like I said, STOCK

·
Registered
806 Posts
Unfortunately I think the Z06 performance is going to out do the new coupe. That is very sad. I wonder if DC is just giving up on the viper and just milking it for all it is worth? I wonder if there will be any vipers in 3 years.

To have GM step up a put down some big numbers and then have DC do nothing is speaking volumes of DC interest in the viper. DC has the technology but they have only put it into mercedes, which I understand but it just appears that the viper is on its way out.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
I'll suck the paint off the new Z06 with my 1999 stocker GT...
My only mods are an underdrive pulley, a "Y" pipe, and drag radials...all for around $60K less.

Signed,

Every Rustang Owner on the internet

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Does it matter? 2 mags I've read put the price between $75-$85k. With all that went into that car I think that sounds right, but it sure seems to miss the price point for a vette in my opinion.

Kudos to GM for building it though, it is damn impressive at 3140 lbs. The new SRT coupe may still edge it on the racetrack but I doubt it wins the 1/4.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.