Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am new to vipers I am learning as I go. Like most people I like lots of HP and Torque. What is the cost of changing to forged pistons on the 2000's and higher. Also if money is not a object I really like the new coupe for 06. I am thinking about 2002 GTS and changing out the pistons and adding the Heffner turbo package. I am torn between new and used. Any opinions would help.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If you like the old GTS and want ABS you're looking at 01 and 02,

if you want a specific color and are going to be tearing apart the engine for turbos anyway you have free reign over all years.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
If you don't want to tear the motor apart then buy a 1999! The pistons are already forged. :nod:
================================================================================
2003 SRT-HEFFNER TWINTURBO "1040RWHP&1135RWTQ"
1999 DIABLO VT-HEFFNER TWIN SUPERCHARGED "620hp&740tq"
2005 MERCEDES CL65-HEFFNER MODIFIED&TUNED "650HP&830TQ"
2005 MURCIELAGO ROADSTER-HEFFNER SOON TO BE TWINTURBOED
2005 AUDI A8 (STOCK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF 20INCH HRE'S)
2003 HUMMER H2 HEFFNER WHIPPLECHARGED/6SPEED TRANSMISSION CONVERSION
2004 PORSCHE 996 TT CAB (SOLD)
2006 CLS 55
2005 T REX

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Mr. Bill said:
Since I am new to vipers I am learning as I go. Like most people I like lots of HP and Torque. What is the cost of changing to forged pistons on the 2000's and higher. Also if money is not a object I really like the new coupe for 06. I am thinking about 2002 GTS and changing out the pistons and adding the Heffner turbo package. I am torn between new and used. Any opinions would help.
Unless you are use to driving 500-600hp cars, I would leave it alone until you have had a chance to really get to know the car.
Some may not agree with me here, but a 400hp Viper is like a 550hp hotrod. The large displacement V10 has such incredible torque it feels like allot more than it actually has. Also, I had the same idea's as you as far as forged piston vs cast. Don't worry about it, buy what appeals to you and worry about the pistons later. You can get plenty of power out of a 2000+ Snake with cast pistons and if you decide to go twin turbos or the like, I'm sure the pistons only account for a small price of the upgrade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.