Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, is it safe to assume that since i own a viper and i bought it new in 99 that i will get a certificate for the opportunity to buy one of these 05 compcoupe bad boys IF/when they come out

·
Registered
779 Posts
V10 MOJO said:
so, is it safe to assume that since i own a viper and i bought it new in 99 that i will get a certificate for the opportunity to buy one of these 05 compcoupe bad boys IF/when they come out
I don't think they'll be doing the certificate thingy for the new Coupes. I imagine that if anyone gets a certificate to purchase, it would be SRT 10 owners that bought them new in 2003/2004.

Really, it's still up in the air...

·
STALKED
4,483 Posts
DO NOT expect another certificate program as the dealers were VERY UPSET at the SRT Certificate program and it caused a lot of bad blood between D-C and the dealers association.

IF there is any preferential treatment to current owners or VCA members I strongly suspect it'll be handled quite differently than the last time.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
JT said:
DO NOT expect another certificate program as the dealers were VERY UPSET at the SRT Certificate program and it caused a lot of bad blood between D-C and the dealers association.
Wasn't there a certificate program back when the GTS first came out that worked the same way as the one for the SRT-10? If so, then dealers presumably got the "shaft" of not being able to charge above MSRP, so presumably they bitched back then too. Why would they not bitch when they can't shaft the consumer? Surely DC expected them to bitch because they could dole out the shaft, and that if they were willing to suck up the bitching before, why would the next time around be any different? Just wondering.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
V10 MOJO said:
I just hope it is safe to assume that since Mojo owns a viper that he bought new in 99, that he will get a certificate for the opportunity to buy a new coupe and give it to me :thumb:

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I'd have to think that DC will let the dealers make some real money on the coupe. A comp coupe look-alike with north of 600hp will be one of the top 5-10 baddest looking and performing cars available in any price range. I would expect $25k+ over sticker for months. $125k for a $90 sticker sounds likely in the beginning if you look at other "hot" cars lately at their introduction.

I wonder if the dealers were allowed to "shaft" the public on the SRT in '03 if it wouldn't have added some more excitement to the car, actually increasing demand and sales. Everybody wants what is hard to get, it's human nature. Although counterintuitive, I think price gouging is good for sales (both dealer and manufacturer). Different story for the buyer, although the excitement of a new car can keep resale way up.

The only exception I can think of is the freakish Ferrari's of late. These owners buy at sticker and sell for more than sticker after driving for a year. But even those buying used cars well over sticker are doing well on resale. It's cheaper to drive a Modena than a Lexus, BMW or Merc for a year if you have the coin.

Chad

·
STALKED
4,483 Posts
John,
I think the 1996 certificate thing was only given out to those folks who attended a certain VOI - maybe 500 - they DID NOT presell the entire first years production - virtually insuring very little dealer profit - like they did in 2003.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
Just avoid all the hassles and wait 6-8 months after they come out (if ever) and buy one used.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
JT said:
John,
I think the 1996 certificate thing was only given out to those folks who attended a certain VOI - maybe 500 - they DID NOT presell the entire first years production - virtually insuring very little dealer profit - like they did in 2003.
That's some very good info, thanks! If they did that at this VOI, that would mean ~750 given out, again, not an entire year's production, so less dealer sqwacking (sp?).

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
who cares what dealers want? Ultimately it's just about money for them. Whoever bitches stuff them full of shitty allocation filled with base neons and V-6 dodge rams. They want first crack at them so they can gouge people on them.

Has anyone really dealt with an honest dealer? It seems to me the honest good dealers (woodhouse) would get more than enough certificate orders that they would probably support the program.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't paint with too broad a brush. There are three or four good dealers: Tator, Woodhouse, Roanoke, . . . the rest of those bastards deserve a certificate shoved up their . . . /images/graemlins/carrot

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I was using woodhouse as an example. Same could go for Tators and other good Viper friendly dealerships.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Quote: (From .org)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aww chris I was hoping to stir the pot a bit more than that! I guess you know me too well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig...you know I think the world of you so I decided that you...and only you...would get to hear about my epiphany concerning the all new and improved SRT-10 Coupe:

Late last Sunday...about 10:30 p.m...I had decided that I just hadda have a root beer slurpee from 7 dash 11. I thru on a pair of flip-flops and slid some sweatpants over my cutoffs and dashed off to my nearest slice of heaven. As I pulled up to my favorite parking place right in front of the dumpster I noticed off to the right that a car had parked BEHIND the dumpster and was partially covered in a silk car cover with the words "THIS IS NOT A VIPER COUPE" on the leading edge. Obviously, my curiosity was peaked and I proceeded into the establishment with eyes peeled...looking for both the ATM (for my slurpee money), the actual slurpee productin machine and hopefully, the driver of said "behind the dumpster" automobile. After making sure that I had enough in my account...I withdrew $5 from the ATM and then sauntered around the store...casually looking for other eccentric type Viper owners such as myself. None were seen. I checked the candy aisle, the midget-sized magazine rack, the lottery station, the day old Krispy Kreme bin and the money order department. No one there looked like they even owned a car...much less one with a silk car cover. I proceeded to the slupee machine arena and began filling up my cup with that erotic juice that makes the farting noise while it flows into the waiting cup. Unbelievably, I had just about farted my way to the "fill-to-here-or-we-will-hunt-you-down-and-force-you-to-do-things-with-our-slurpee-straws" edge when up from behind me I hear a voice asking which flavor I thought would go well with sauerkraut. Startled, I turned to see who was speaking to me with such a heavy, yet hauntingly familiar, German accent. I told him my name was Clark and the Bay Rum-Vodka Tonic slurpee was the one he wanted to go with. I told him it was fruity without actually having seeds. Pretty neat.
Anyway...the fellow told me his name was Wolfgang and he was just passing thru town on his way to Stuttgart and had just picked up a combo meal #6 at Wienerschnitzel and needed something to wash it down while he headed on down the road. As he began to fart his slurpee into the cup I realized that this guy was the owner/operator/ex-chief of the car parked behind the dumpster. Without giving away too much information...the conversation went like this:
Clarkie: Say...that your silk car cover blowing against the dumpster out back?
Gangie: Yep...the one that smells like rotten apples(dumpster that is)?
Clarkie: Yep...is that a car under that cover or are you just a silk car cover salesman?
Gangie: Yep...thar's a car under thar a-right. A pretty neat car as a matter of fact.
Clarkie: What kinda car is it?
Gangie: Well...no one else can know this...especially the Canadians...but it's a brand new Viper Coupe...only one of its kind...and I've got it.
Clarkie: Any chance I could look at it...take about 1000 pictures...and post it all over the internet?
Gangie: Well...just so long as the Canadians don't get to see 'em. I guess a few 1000 or so wouldn't hurt. Let's go on out to the dumpster.
Clarkie: I've got you covered on your slurpee Gangie...I run a tab here.

Out we go. Gangie pulls the silk cover back and the car gleams with a brilliance I have not seen since I bought that engagement ring with the Cubic Zirconia stone that my baby loves so much. I pulled out my Kodak and starting snapping away. Amazing car...sort of a deep orange exterior(University of Texas) with a mahogany interior complete with brass trim. The interior was a leather base with crocodile stitching and it all fit extremely well. Gangie pulled the hood and I immediately noticed that the engine was "different". He wouldn't tell me what the HP rating was but he did let me know that the name Wankel would be emblazoned on the valve covers in the final edition of the car.
With that final comment...Gangie closed the hood...hopped into the car...pulled down the gull-wing doors(they were actually painted white...just like a gull). Pull started the motor and drove off thru the alley behind the 7 dash 11. It was an awesome sight and one that I wish I could share with all of you...but I promised that no Canadians would be able to see the pictures and quite honestly...I don't know how many of you VCA'ers are Canadian or have Canadian ancestory or have been to Canada or know someone that has.
I can tell you this....go to VOI...and ask those in authority where the silk-covered car is parked..or better yet...just ask them where the dumpsters are. And maybe..just maybe...you might get to see the new Wankel powered Dodge SRT-10 Coupe before anybody else does.

Good luck Craig...if anyone deserves a pic of this new car it is you my friend.

I know my deposit check is ready.

Your Trusting Pal,
Clarkie

·
Senior Slacker
2,155 Posts
I have heard that they will offer the coupe at VOI only to those in attendance that bought the original SRT's in 2003 and still own them.* As such, I would like to start taking bids for my new Viper coupe at one meeeeellion dollars!! Muah ha ha...

*Complete and utter bullshit

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Y2K3SRT said:
*Complete and utter bullshit
Soooo Chris....you doubt the validity of my 7 dash 11 experience?

I saw the car...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

·
Senior Slacker
2,155 Posts
samehereasthere said:
Soooo Chris....you doubt the validity of my 7 dash 11 experience?

I saw the car...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Clark - I not only take everything you say as gospel, I print all of your posts and put them in the Clark's Flameless Bible that rests on my mantel. Some chapters are just shorter than others. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.