Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
So right -- they can do much better. Not interested in Vette clone or kit car -- at least they could make the design flow instead of just bolting on different parts from different models. There are too many new 500 hp coupes to choose from to settle for such a mediocre effort!

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
Keep in mind that the model we saw in Dallas was just a concept.

I have no doubt that the finished product will kick-ass, especially considering the GTS-R concept. What was really important for Dodge was to at least quell the rumors that there was never going to be a coupe.

That, plus if you didn't see it in person then you know not what you speak.

The car rocks!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I think we all be suprised when the final version comes out. /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
RockStar said:
Keep in mind that the model we saw in Dallas was just a concept.

I have no doubt that the finished product will kick-ass, especially considering the GTS-R concept. What was really important for Dodge was to at least quell the rumors that there was never going to be a coupe.

That, plus if you didn't see it in person then you know not what you speak.

The car rocks!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
Hisserman said:
I only hope you're right about the final version. I've seen the VOI coupe in person and it sucks!
I don't know how you can say that. Granted it didn't blow me away like the GTS-R does, but I thought the coupe looked awesome, especially when compared to the SRT. There are a few glaring details that DC has to iron out, but the car looked damn hot just the way it was, and should be even better when it hits production.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can say that because the car looks like a cross between a Corvette and a kit car. If I want a Corvette I'll buy it at Corvette prices, not Viper prices. If I want a kit car, I want one where the design features hang together, not one that looks like front and rear clips from two different cars have been crudely grafted onto a third car. To me it is more than "a few glaring details that DC has to iron out".

I think they were smart to unveil the car to the faithful in Dallas to gauge reaction -- they got it in spades. However, I hope they don't ever let the general public see that pig or the name of Vipers will be trashed forever. There's great design work coming out of several other brands for 500 hp coupes. Granted, not all of those cars will hit the pricepoint that Dodge is aiming for, but if it is a pig no one is going to pay the price anyway.

Like I said, I hope they get it right. I certainly am pulling for them and have every confidence they have the ability. At the same time I feel strongly that they will be making a fatal mistake for the brand if they just try to slide by with a "kinda good" effort. They've taken their eye off the ball with Viper and if they don't get focused they won't be in the game.

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
Hisserman said:
They've taken their eye off the ball with Viper and if they don't get focused they won't be in the game.
I totally agree with you there, but the new coupe is a step in the right direction.

I guess we'll have to reserve judgement until the production model is released.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hisserman said:
I think they were smart to unveil the car to the faithful in Dallas to gauge reaction -- they got it in spades. However, I hope they don't ever let the general public see that pig or the name of Vipers will be trashed forever. There's great design work coming out of several other brands for 500 hp coupes. Granted, not all of those cars will hit the pricepoint that Dodge is aiming for, but if it is a pig no one is going to pay the price anyway.
I had been waiting to see the C6 Z06 Vette. Now that I have, I can tell you that GM has the problem -- it looks like crap. Mostly because the base C6 looks so Japanese, the Z06 mods can't save it. The SRT Coupe concept, on the other hand, looks great by comparison. It should be a winner if they can bump the hp to 550+. :thumb:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Agree with Rockstar, and the general consensus of the folks at VOI was that the Coupe Concept was heading in the right direction. Hisserman has his opinion, but folks that do not like something are more likely to post on a forum than those that do ( this has been discussed before,but it is just human nature ). The interesting situation, is how many people liked the basic concept ( as that was all it was intended to be ) and are placing deposits for the car all over the country. I guess I am more pleased with the idea that we constantly ask Dodge/DC to listen to us, and when they do, to lambast them is hard to visualize why they would want to give us the respect again. I think we should be overwhelmed they think enough of our feelings to preview the direction they want to go with us.Maybe I am too mellow, but I think the way to achieve the end result is to be more constructive in what criticism we may have. The car will look similar to the concept,but many small changes will alter the complexion of the car and the majority , I believe, will be very happy. To think that we can make all of the passionate Viper Nation happy, is silly, but I do find that the level of concern for our desires to be at an all time Corporate high.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
Bill Pemberton said:
Agree with Rockstar, and the general consensus of the folks at VOI was that the Coupe Concept was heading in the right direction. Hisserman has his opinion, but folks that do not like something are more likely to post on a forum than those that do ( this has been discussed before,but it is just human nature ). The interesting situation, is how many people liked the basic concept ( as that was all it was intended to be ) and are placing deposits for the car all over the country. I guess I am more pleased with the idea that we constantly ask Dodge/DC to listen to us, and when they do, to lambast them is hard to visualize why they would want to give us the respect again. I think we should be overwhelmed they think enough of our feelings to preview the direction they want to go with us.Maybe I am too mellow, but I think the way to achieve the end result is to be more constructive in what criticism we may have. The car will look similar to the concept,but many small changes will alter the complexion of the car and the majority , I believe, will be very happy. To think that we can make all of the passionate Viper Nation happy, is silly, but I do find that the level of concern for our desires to be at an all time Corporate high.
Damn right!

Signed,

note: Fontenot is #13 and Smoke is #14. that is all.

·
Enlightened
30,010 Posts
I loved the car at VOI. Sure there were a couple things I might like to see differently. Then again I always thought the rear end of the Roadster needed a spolier, but that didn't stop me from buying two of them!

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Bill Pemberton said:
Bill,

Something tells me that Austin is going to receive a freebie in exchange for his awesome concept drawing that will result in the entire design team at DC getting fired!/images/graemlins/laughing.gif :nod:

My favorite pic of the car at VOI8 hands down was Carrot sitting behind the wheel! Why? The damn car door was unlocked!:bowdown::rofl:

Jay K.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Slippery Carrot is his new name, and it was pretty funny he popped right in the seat. I can just imagine the Corporate individual that had to give out the collective sigh of , " Whoops. " Just goes to show how fast the big guy is,ha!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a newbie Viper owner, but the reason I wanted a GTS since the day I saw one was that sitting still it looked like the baddest machine on the road. It was a work of art, yet evil. The new one looks very much like previous Vettes with a Viper front end. I'll keep my 96.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.