Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Appreciation for People who can run in the 12\'s

I ran my Car (1999 RT/10, Roe 7lb S/C, Roe High Flow Cats, Borla exhaust) at the Top Gun Raceway in Fallon NV yesterday (4000 feet). It was the first time I have ever been down a 1/4-mile track. I spent most of the day learning how to not smoke the tires through the first three gears. It was great fun and I was able to get in 21 runs. All I can say is it is much easier said than done to run fast on Michelin Pilot Sports. I did feel good when one of the line guys came over towards the end of the day and stated "you're running a lot better, I didn't know if you were going to make it through the day the way you fish tailed the car down the track on that first run." The only thing I have for comparison on how I was running was 7 runs I did against a C5 Blown Vette on street tires. We could each consistently hit runs in the 12.8- 13.1 range. Even if he beat me off the line I still took him every time on top end. I friend of mine in a Mustang with a stroked 302 running a 18lb ATI Blower putting down 500 HP to the rears wheels ran a 12.2 on slicks before he shredded his serpentine belt. My best run was:

E.T. - 12.67
MPH - 120.817
Reaction .284
60 time - 2.268

I hope to make Las Vegas this next weekend, but work may prevent it

-Jim

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Re: New Appreciation for People who can run in the 12\'s

not as easy as it looks huh. I tell people that all the time. running twelves is good, very good. congrats.

whats your RWHP/RWTQ?

more seat time and you will be mid elevens easily

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Dyno numbers at a Dynojet in Carson City NV were consistently around 550RWHP/600RWTQ, with the best pull being 555RWHP/610RWTQ. This was with the 6 card and no other tuning. I know this is not huge numbers for this setup, and I do not know what the car was stock, but still pretty decent.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts

actually, those are very good numbers for the roe. you dont have headers, 70mm TBs, modded airbox, and T&Ds do you?. so those are damn good numbers.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

:bowdown:

Great runs! A lot of guys might smirk at your mid-twelves if all they ever do is run at sea level. At 4,000 feet some of those guys would pull low thirteens. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

12.67s at 4000+ feet on Michelin Pilot Sport tires AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!

/images/graemlins/nana

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

Keep goint to the track it will become like a drug!! those ET's will come down. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I had a 800 RWHP Viper and my first time at the track I was running 12-13's

8 trips later I am running 9.6's!!!

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts

yep, i remeber roofs first run at beechbend last yr. i almost made a wiseass comment to him til i did my run, LOL then i shutup real fast.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts

I think most of the problem he's having is traction. With a super/turbo-charger, the effects of altitude on engine performance should be nil. In fact, the lower air density should help in the wind resistance department. Mid-12s with an SC car would not be very impressive at all for an experienced driver.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts

I wasn't sure if this was serious as well. I guess it was a traction issue. I can tell you what I ran in my stock 01, but it's irrelevant b/c of the condition difference. BUT you are in an SC car. I would think getting into the 11's would be expected, with all due respect of course.... I ran low 12's stock on stock tires and I am not a great driver. was it just the issue of controlling the beast?

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts

555rwhp/610rwtq; youre good for tens with some seattime

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Traction was defiantly the issue, WOT in 1st or 2nd just resulted in smoking the tires and I would have to get back out of it to settle the car down. I had to be very careful when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 to prevent wheel spin. I ran 22lbs in the rears cold and should have probably dropped the tire pressure more. Most of the time I would spin the tires when shifting from 2-3. Full throttle in 1st or 2nd was not possible, I had to be very easy on the gas and feel for the point just before wheel spin, build RPMs slower in 2nd, and then shit into third where I could hit WOT and try and get a good power shift into 4th. I experimented with short shifting 1-2 and 2-3 and tried to find the balance between easing into the throttle and short shifting. I also have a bad habit that I found hard to break of letting off the gas when I shift, I only hit a couple of good power shifts from 3-4. It was a hell of a lot harder than I thought it would be.

·
Camel Farmer
9,841 Posts

I think some of these readers/posters on this thread have no idea about altitude differences on the ET. At 4000 feet, a 12.5 second pass would probably be about a 13.5 second pass or there about because of air density. /images/graemlins/drive

·
Registered
3,579 Posts

Air density definitely matters, but obviously that wasn't a "second's" worth of difference in this situation. Keep in mind, people talk about air density this, air density that, but no true controlled experiment has been run to tell the true difference between the situatioins. Oh, sure, there's guys/gals that have tracked a car at high altitutdes, took the same car and tracked it at sea and the numbers were different, but the fact of the matter is, that's not a very good experiment (certainly not to determine that a 12.5 is equivalent to a 13.5, BUT I DO SEE YOUR POINT-IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERNCE THOUGH I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH). The only true info they have is density of charge numbers, etc.
He had problems with traction. So air density, though being a factor, wasn't the big factor here. Had he controlled the beast, he would have easily dropped into the 11's....who knows about the 10's??? I'm sure it won't be but just a few more passes before he learns to feel for his power. :clap:

·
Registered
806 Posts

Mr squirrel

When I had my 650R I ran it at my drag strip probably 30 passes and the best I was able to achieve is a 12.0 @118 mph (4500 ft elevation). In august I went to Reno, hot august nights, and then decided to make the two hour trip to sacramento to see what my car could do. It was 95-100 degrees there and I managed (2) 11.2 @126mph. This was exactly the same car at a different altitude. Attitude makes a huge difference. I was only able to make 6 runs that night and that was the first time to that drag strip. If the weather would have been cooler and I had been there before I think I could have got into the 11.0 range.

I do agree that if he was spinning that bad then he could have definitely run better but who knows.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts

yeah, It makes a difference, no doubt PHYSICALLY b/c of the everso popular rho value...at any rate, I was just stating that he said he was all over the place with spinning and it probably had a bigger bearing on his results. As far as altitude...no one drives the car EXACTLY the same every time is the point, so i was wondering if they had a "automatic car" or some closed testing that revealed how much altitude makes a difference. Everyone knows it just "does" make a difference, but no one (human) can drive a car (especially a 6 speed) exactly the same. Possibly an automatic that can't "spin the tires" could be taken up top a mountain and down to the sea and compared. I just hate hearing that as a quick "scapegoat" and though it does make a difference as I stated even in the first post, I wonder how much, and if anyone has a real "comparison" based on something a little more solid than "yeah, I drove my car up there and ran a 12 and drove my car down there and ran an 11".

P.S. utah, I've seen a ton of your runs on videos..nice car. I'm formerly Makaha, then Mouth Dr., now I'm super squirrel so I've probably talked with you a few times in the past.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts

Utah,
furthermore, temperature has a direct relationship to charge density as I'm sure you know, so running a car at such high temps as the 90's or so would work against you...you may have run even FASTER...but do you see the point....manhy factors here that when added up can really have a compounding effect. temp, altitude, wind, driving consistencly. I realize you've had a ton of runs (seen many of your vids), but basing it on alitutde ALONE is not not very seal tight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts