Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my current car to get a new vehicle for college and practicality. I was thinking that an early 90's pathfinder or 4runner would be a good fit for me. I have done some research and it seems that both are bitches for gas and the 4runners have a history of blowing head gaskets. I have about $6000 dollars to spend. Does anyone have and advice or previous experience with these vehicles?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
vehicle for college, practicality, gas milage..

get a civic. will go 300K miles and cost next to nothing in gas. a 4X4 anything will cost you an arm and a leg. If you want something fun look at early 90's turbo mopars, turbo celicas, talons etc...

·
Registered
899 Posts
try to find one of the old body style grand cheerokee w/ the I-6 plenty of power and good cars. I had a '94 & '97 bought new and put over 100k miles on both in less than four years. You can probable find the current body style in you price range also. If you must have the 4 X 4 or AWD subaru's are good also. for less than what you talking you can buy a Jeep CJ or Wrangler also (get the hardtop if this is for winter use and removable for good weather),
my .02 good luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
SylvanSRT said:
try to find one of the old body style grand cheerokee w/ the I-6 plenty of power and good cars. I had a '94 & '97 bought new and put over 100k miles on both in less than four years. You can probable find the current body style in you price range also. If you must have the 4 X 4 or AWD subaru's are good also. for less than what you talking you can buy a Jeep CJ or Wrangler also (get the hardtop if this is for winter use and removable for good weather),
my .02 good luck
I am actually looking at wranglers (I believe mostly YJ's) for my first car right now. Anything in particular I should look for?

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
4WD SUV's started life as farm work horses

now every man and his dog thinks they are a "practical means of transport"

hahhahahahahahaha

they're big, they hog gas, they drive like crap compared to any decent car, they are SLOW, and have nothing going for them other than it is somehow uncool now to have a car that runs better - unless it's a very flash expensive car...

what is it with guys and SUV's? is it anything like what is it with girls and horses?

/images/graemlins/laughing.gif

please explain how you define college and practical i the same phrase re an SUV? Do you live 20 miles up a dirt road?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Torquemonster said:

hahhahahahahahaha

they're big, they hog gas, they drive like crap compared to any decent car, they are SLOW, and have nothing going for them other than it is somehow uncool now to have a car that runs better - unless it's a very flash expensive car...

what is it with guys and SUV's? is it anything like what is it with girls and horses?

please explain how you define college and practical i the same phrase re an SUV? Do you live 20 miles up a dirt road?
I would like a SUV because I live in farm country and go on gravel all the time. We also get snow all winter and I will be driving in it all summer. Lastly, I live near 4000 acres of huge sand dunes and an orv park and about three times a year it fills up with about 20,000 partiers. I want to be able to cruise about and look at the titties there as well.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
SuprSlow said:
Torquemonster said:

hahhahahahahahaha

I would like a SUV because I live in farm country and go on gravel all the time. We also get snow all winter and I will be driving in it all summer. Lastly, I live near 4000 acres of huge sand dunes and an orv park and about three times a year it fills up with about 20,000 partiers. I want to be able to cruise about and look at the titties there as well.

Fine! Fuck Ya,,,,, buy a Hummer :rofl:

·
Senior Slacker
2,155 Posts
My son has a '96 Pathfinder which was the first year for the newer body style. And bad gas mileage on a very underpowered V6. One of the other considerations you should have is insurance cost. While it levels out as you get older and the cars get older, it will still cost you more to insure a Nissan or Toyota than a Jeep Cherokee. My son is a high school junior and we found out it would be cheaper to insure him in a brand-new 2005 Chevy Equinox (the lastest small SUV from GM) than his older Pathfinder. Of course he is staying in his Pathfinder since it is paid for, and we are not buying him a car regardless. He wants a '68-'69 Charger in black anyway... /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts