Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here.... ready to make the purchase.....

1997 GTS MINT condition second owner and babied ALL STOCK 18K miles interior NO wear and paint near flawless....

1998 GTS MINTY as well belanger headers..corsa exhaust...18" Viper 1999 wheels ans 18 K miles as well .... also second owner (previous guy did the mods)

Both have good titles and great service history from dodge as I already did my home work on this...

I read on this site the camshaft is different on the 1998 is that true?? so many told me the camshaft on both were the same and a bit lumpy which is what I want... I'm havin a hard time deciding .......

·
Registered
24,058 Posts
get the 1998 GTS MINTY ...i dont like the 17" wheels on the 97

the cams should be the same i think

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
offer 44 for the 98 and 40 for the 97. If they both won't budge the 98 is still a better deal as it's a year newer and has some mods.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a 97 and then got the 98. I like the 98 better the dash has that crnkle leather look to it and the 97 is smooth and looks like plastic. :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
both WONT BUDGE!!! ok it seems the opinions here is the 98 as I thought the mods were worth well over the $4k difference plus its a year newer!!
headers ,,cats,corsa catback,1999 wheeels $6K?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
slither said:
Newbie here.... ready to make the purchase.....

1997 GTS MINT condition second owner and babied ALL STOCK 18K miles interior NO wear and paint near flawless....

1998 GTS MINTY as well belanger headers..corsa exhaust...18" Viper 1999 wheels ans 18 K miles as well .... also second owner (previous guy did the mods)

Both have good titles and great service history from dodge as I already did my home work on this...

I read on this site the camshaft is different on the 1998 is that true?? so many told me the camshaft on both were the same and a bit lumpy which is what I want... I'm havin a hard time deciding .......
Slither, get a dyno sheet for each.

Have a compression and leakdown test done on both.

Pick the stronger car for the mods it has... There's nothing worse than getting a weak one and nothing better than getting one that pulls like a mother!

The stocker should put down at least 400-410 RWHP, the one with belangers should put down 440-450 RWHP depending on whether the cats are on or off.

My dad had a 1997 that put down 430 RWHP with rear muffler delete only, another friend's 1997 put 428 to the wheels bone stock.

In contrast, I have another friend whose RT/10 only put down 385 to the wheels. He was always frustrated by getting beaten by everybody and their brother's Viper. If you do not mind getting beaten, get a corvette!LOL! :thumb:

·
Registered
757 Posts
slither said:
both WONT BUDGE!!! ok it seems the opinions here is the 98 as I thought the mods were worth well over the $4k difference plus its a year newer!!
headers ,,cats,corsa catback,1999 wheeels $6K?
Headers the cheapest I ever saw for sale $1750, Random tech cats depending on which one was like $350 or $500, Corsa Catback around $1350. The rims if he traded his 98's in well then maybe and extra $1000 max. If those old rims are included then $2500.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Since their both red and same miles, I'd go with the 98 for the mods, but I agree with Paolo. Get some tests done first. You can find a reputable place near where the car is located and have the owner take the car in for an inspection. That should cost you anywhere from $80-100, but it's well worth it when all is said and done. That's what I did with mine. Also, make sure they look at the entire car, frame and all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.