Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Viper GTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to start off I have a 97 GTS that I bought with a bad engine. Looks like the engine overheated causing a bad head gasket and dropped a valve seat in cylinder 6. Looks like the engine was previously rebuilt as the rod bearings were .010 oversize already. Instead of rebuilding this engine I decided to buy a brand new never used cream puff complete shortblock.

I ended up buying a used head replace the one that dropped the valve seat. I kept the one good head off my original engine and sent that and the used I bought to my machine shop to have them clean and go through them. I have everything out back together with all new cometic gaskets and seals in the heads. I am not looking for any extra horsepower so everything is stock.

Now that’s everything is back together it’s time for me to put the stock pushrods back in. I have the stock non adjustable stamped rockers and hydraulic lifters in the car. I’ve looked in the service manual and all it says is to torque the rocker bolt down to 30 ft lbs.

Now let me know if I have this right. I made sure that cylinder 1 was at TDC. I placed the stock push rod from my old engine in the intake side of the valve and lifter. I started to torque the rocker arm bolt to the specified 30 ft lbs. However I noticed that the last 2 turns of the bolt that it was compressing the valve springs. It shouldn’t do that right? Is the pushrod too long? Am I right that tightening the rocker arm bolt shouldn’t compress the valve at all?

·
Landscaping Professional
14,198 Posts
Stock pushrods are not going to be too long. You are probably not at TDC on the compression stroke. You are likely on the valve overlap cycle between blowdown and IVO.

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Viper GTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock pushrods are not going to be too long. You are probably not at TDC on the compression stroke. You are likely on the valve overlap cycle between blowdown and IVO.
I didn’t think of that. So just one more revolution on the crank and it should be good? I’ll check tonight

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You will need to watch the interplay between compressing the lifter vs. the valve spring. For the most part, the lifter should bleed down faster than the pressure it takes to compress a valve spring...but one never knows depending on how fast you are tightening things up. Use a remote starter switch and turn the engine over after each rocker is installed to make sure the lash is accounted for and the valve fully opens/closes normally.

·
Registered
1997 Dodge Viper GTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will need to watch the interplay between compressing the lifter vs. the valve spring. For the most part, the lifter should bleed down faster than the pressure it takes to compress a valve spring...but one never knows depending on how fast you are tightening things up. Use a remote starter switch and turn the engine over after each rocker is installed to make sure the lash is accounted for and the valve fully opens/closes normally.
Thank you. You know I didn’t take into account the plunger in the lifter going down as I tighten the bolt. I was wrenching it rather quickly so that’s probably why the valve seat was going down before the lifter could bleed out.

·
Premium Member
19,394 Posts
I have some stock and aftermarket pushrods if you need any

1 - 6 of 6 Posts