Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new here and need some advise. I am in the process of looking for a my first viper. I would really like to find a used GTS with low miles and modified. But beggers can't be choosers.

I found a 97 GTS Hennessey (I beleive 650r) in the Dupont Registry that I would love to have if my funds were in order.

My question is what to look for when buying a used viper. Are there any certain areas to look at to tell if the car has been taken care of (I understand that it is a good posibility for scratches under the front)? And are there any particular problems to look out for?

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
You'll get plenty of "things to look out for" but I'm going to give you a few things to "expect"

Not all vipers are built EXACTLY alike meaning that since these are handmade autos certain things can be expected such as: uneven spacing between body panels (if you look at the hood of vipers and the body moulding you may see more spacing that expected in some cases...not all cars have this and if it does it doesn't mean it has been wrecked) this is not to say that it's bad, it's just hand made. creeks and rattles (nothing major by any stretch of the imagination) but creeks nonetheless. do not trust carfax completely. there's plenty of ways to get around a car fax if you're selling a vehicle and a viper would not lend itself for high resale with a "wrecked" title. Expect a very small amount of smoke from exhaust (AT TIMES) but nothing that even looks remotely suspicious. Usually a preowned viper hasn't been owned by 30 people so talking to previous owners is a must. BUY from the alley or vclub.org because the history of most of the vehicles here are better documented and monitored. TobyGTS here at the alley, I believe is selling his blue/white gts and it's nice, for instance.

Open all doors and hood/trunk, etc. the obvious stuff. body work on these vehicles cannot be done just anywhere so your best resource is the alley or club.org for people who may be familiar with the vehicle. If you are near a vipertech, let them look at it. Not all vipertechs are created equal so I would only consider the advice. But never hurts. Scratches under the front could be as harmless as having a steep driveway.

I'll think of everything I forgot to look for or consider when I got mine and post some more. hope this helps even remotely.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
toby, I suggested yours, yours is a good deal. I would buy it if I had the resources.

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
Makaha said it best - you aren't going to learn what you need to do by a text thread... When you find a car - best bet it to let people on these forums know - someone will be close to them - and they should assist you...

PS - I might have a 2002 RT Graphite for ya (sorry Toby) - it has been extremely lonely since the 2002 ACR Graphite arrived... Hasn't been driven once in the past month... :bawling: Right now it is something to fill in my RT car cover /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
confrontational,

what's up, it's been a while...do you like the coupe more than the targa? why did you switch? Is it just the acr power/package that you like or the coupe? You'll miss that targa, yes sir.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
It's pretty hard not to have scrapes under your front fascia. Unless you're a garage queen or an ultimate poser. You'll never see the scrapes anyways, unless you get down on your hands and knees.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advise everyone. I pretty much expect scrapes under the front facia, everyone I looked at had them. I was wonder if there were any other areas to really look at.

Toby, your car is exactly what I am looking for, and my color of choice too. I am a very picky person myself and looking for a car that was really taken car of, which yours is definately. I seen it on vipersforsale too. GREAT looking car, and relatively close too. I'm from Pittsburgh.

I didn't want to act on it too fast because I don't have all the finances ready (or should I say my wife is not on the same page as me) and don't want to waste anyone's time. I need to work on her a little, but I'm sure that car won't last for long. I just bought her an Escalade so she thinks I need to wait or sell one of my other "toys".

Anyone interested in a Supercharged ram with 12" of custom lift? It would be a neat truck to pull your car.

[image]http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/223000-223999/223274_58_full.jpg[/image]

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
simms...the car on dodgevipersforsale is another GTS. (I am asking a lot less too) /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

You can drive it home since you are fairly close. That alone will save you a thousand dollars in trasport cost. :nod:

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
toby, I should get commission for suggesting your car.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Toby, I thought I ended up at your same link on vipersforsale.com as the link you posted. Am I still confused??? 96 GTS for 49,500 and around 10k miles? Must sell for newer ACR?

I need to go put some serious pressure on my wife. How long has that beast been up for sale?

I can't get too excited, my wife may just :kick:

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
I know of a minty 1996 Blue/White with 9,100 miles, stored winters, for $45K...no bs...It's here in Minnesota...

Sorry Toby, but we gotta get this guy in a Viper...

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
Yes mine has 10K miles, 49.5K and yes I am wanting an ACR.

dodgevipersforsale has a 96 as well but wants 53K for his from what I remember.

THe car has only been for sale for about a month. I do have 2 standing offers on the car but just below what I want to sell for.

I am in no hurry to move the car and if it doesn't sell. I will keep it as I really enjoy it.

This is my link...

http://abpsmedstaff.com/viper.htm

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
Snake Bitten said:
I know of a minty 1996 Blue/White with 9,100 miles, stored winters, for $45K...no bs...It's here in Minnesota...

Sorry Toby, but we gotta get this guy in a Viper...
if it is as good or better than mine...then its a great deal.

tell us about the car Snake...details details. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I would trust a car that is on the alley...unless this one in minn is in good shape with a good history.

A dodge viper XXXX dollars
A Roe super charger 8,0000 dollars
A day at the track XXXX dollars

Having a good day at the track because your roe s/c works excellent on a GREAT SOUND viper........priceless. There are some things money cannot buy (like piece of mind), but for everything else, there's mastercard.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are there any members on here from PA?

My problem is my mastercard does not have a big limit. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Are these Roe superchargers roots style, twin screw etc....? I can see myself getting into some real trouble when I get my hands on one of these cars. :devil:

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
Mak -

Not sure what it is with the ACR - maybe just the stripes /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif I just don't seem as interested in the RT since I got it... I love the sound of the RT - very loud - and all the other mods I have to it - other than that - for some reason - we just aren't spending time together...

But we'll see - maybe that will change... I even put a coat of Reflections on her last weekend - did both of them - then progressed to move her wheels onto the ACR - put the racing dirty BBS' on the RTr - and then took off with the boys in the ACR...

I think we're just going through some small issues right now... I also have to be in several cities in the upcoming 7 weeks - so I'll put the car cover on her and see how she is in a few weeks...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got my first Viper GTS and want to thank Toby! I pick it up this weekend and I can not wait.

The car is in EXCELLENT condition and I give Toby lots of credit for taking car of the car so well and he was a great guy to meet. Truely a beautiful car!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Toby, where's my cut for pushing your car for him to buy /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

contrats

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
was the pic of your truck taken at carlisle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts