Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you heavy N2O hitters... What's the myth with not spraying in fifth gear?
I've heard in the past not to do this, as you load the motor and it could detonate, or blow a head gasket.
But, if you tune is safe, and you have no detonation, what could be the issue with spraying in 5th gear on a street race?.. say 50 to 170 mph.
thanks!
JC

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
ive sprayed in fifth on street, noticed no problem. i dont have no stinkin candyass window switch either :fist:

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
If you hit it too soon, you'll almost always backfire. It also gives you one less thing to think about when you're trying to concentrate on shifting and going straight down the track. It comes on and turns off at just the right times. Very good thing to have IMO!

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
on dyno, i take mine to 5500-6000 when tuning it in, no problem so way i see it, im not going above that when racing either.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
PRVT JET said:
Big C, how much were you spraying when you backfire? I have a 150rw shot and spray in first below 3k and never backfire. I know it hits somewhere around 2200k.

isaac
I've had a lot of cars with nitrous. I had most of them on a WOT switch, and I had several backfires. With a Viper on a 150 shot, you might not have a problem. With larger shots, the motor can't keep up with the juice you throw at it. I think the explosion I had in my R/T was due to a faulty pressure gauge. I think I had it way to high, which leaned it out.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
PRVT JET said:
Thanks for the response Big c, I know the backfire you're talking about. I have seen on my friends car, blew the air box into a million pieces.
Exactly! I blew one up in Padre Island one year! I luckily had a can of K&N oil in the car, so I took off a sock and made an air filter. I was at the end of the beach, and there was sand blowing around everywhere. I made a bellow out of drier duct, and limped 500 miles back home.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you know when to let off, and when to hit it (ie: not too low of an rpm), I dont think you need the window switch. The driver needs to be more aware of what's going on though. I think back fires are more typical of wet kits. I've never heard of one on a direct port fogger.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have seen a backfire happen when the car bogged off the line with slicks. I only run on street tires, I launch around 2k spraying in first gear with no wheel spin. wheel spin in second gear is what you have to worry about.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
JCV said:
If you know when to let off, and when to hit it (ie: not too low of an rpm), I dont think you need the window switch. The driver needs to be more aware of what's going on though. I think back fires are more typical of wet kits. I've never heard of one on a direct port fogger.
Uh..... my direct port kit is wet. :idea:

·
Registered
858 Posts
JVC:

I didn't see the window switch issue clarified. You want the NOS off before the rev limiter hits. That is the purpose of the window switch.

When you spray in the tubes you are more suceptible to a back fire caused by puddling of the fuel. You get more hp with the sprayers further away from the throttle bodies, however, it is safer to have the sprayers closer to the throttle bodies. The latter has less chance of puddling. the puddling issue is exacerbated by a stumble or inability to accelerate quickly.

The issue is not fifth gear. The problem is too low of an rpm versus the ability of the engine to accelerate. As an example if you lit the NOS at a low rpm in second gear you would create a cylinder pressure so high you would probably bend a rod or snap the crank. As long as the engine can acclerate quickly there should not be a problem. In your case shifting from fourth to fifth at 5000 wouldn't be an issue

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.