Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Viper is Dead, and it\'s making weird sounds when trying to revive it.

I haven't driven my '96 GTS in awhile, and of course the battery is dead, and the doors don't open. After getting in the car the easy way since the windows were down, I decided to put my Battery Tender to work on it. After hooking it up there's a weird ticking sound coming from the instrument cluster area of the car, and it sounds exactly like a clock ticking away. After taking the tender off the car, the ticking gradually gets quieter until it seizes after about 15 seconds. Then I'd hook it up again, and the same ticking sound occurs.

What the heck is that ?? I've done this before when the car was dead, and it never did that before......WTF ??
This battery is a factory replacement with only about 6 months on it.

Any suggestions, other than the factory batteries are junk ??

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Re: My Viper is Dead, and it\'s making weird sounds when trying to revive it.

DD...Since you don't road race your GTS...Get a Die Hard battery... [color:"blue"]Die Hard Gold North Sears Item #02833078000[/color]

What kind of tender are you using? The only one I will use is the name brand "Battery Tender"...

Also, give me a call, I need to talk to you about the Kali haul...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'm using the real "Battery Tender".

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts

Try charging the battery with a 'real' battery charger, a battery tender -
trickle charger - will take days to charge the battery. Plus if the
battery is questionable - it will take that long to figure it out.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

If the battery drops below a certain voltage threshold, a trickle charger will not be able to charge it above that threshold. What can sometimes work is a real charger.

It's been a while since I did much work with batteries, but I believe the problem may be cell reversal - in which case a trickle charger ain't gonna do squat, but a big charger can fix it. Could be wrong on the conditions for cell reversal tho - just a disclaimer /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Definitely do a charge at a higher current level overnight or so (use an auto-shutoff charger to be safe).

If the battery went totally flat, there is a good chance it will hold a charge for a few hours, or even a day or two, but will die shortly thereafter. Don't go too far from home /images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts

For some reason Vipers eat batteries, especially when they sit idle for a while. What you need is to 86 your current battery and get a deep cycle optima. I had a new Mopar battery installed under warranty shortly before I sent my car to Heffners and the car had trouble taking a charge just after 2 months. It would run around with a battery light on all the time. Chagned the battery and the problem was fixed. I have an industrial HUGE charger thing that they use in car dealerships and it didnt fix the problem. Go spend the $90-120 and get a good battery. Keep the thing charged and youll be good.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts

Recommendation: drive your Viper more frequently ;)

·
Registered
19,175 Posts

My 95 did that tick thing when the batt, went low , and it was the alarm , go get a new batt. ASAP and drive it around for a while to re-set the computer. Spray

·
Registered
24 Posts

Hooking up the batery tender was a pain until I got the cigarette lighter attachment option($10 from battery tender). It's now a simple plug and leave, no more popping the hood. Also, if you leave the hood open when charging, I believe more is being drained(from light and open security circuit) than charged.

·
Registered
757 Posts

Edward 96GTS said:
Also, if you leave the hood open when charging, I believe more is being drained(from light and open security circuit) than charged.
The alarm should time out shortly and then the lights on the door handles should extinguish. If they do not that is probably your battery drain path.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts