Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to Neverlift Racecraft this morning to check out the car. Leo had the car running so we took a little spin. This is what happened when we tried a little burnout:

I guess the brand new ET Drags full of air didn't grab well on a sandy street at 14 lbs of boost :lol: :lol: Notice how straight the patch is, though.

Here's a view that some of my competitors should be getting used to :lol: :

Here are the new Weld wheels:

And here's a side shot:

·
Registered
607 Posts
hope you got a good clutch there brother. :thumb: that looks like one bad mofo. what size wheel and slick are your runnin out back? also i see the hub in your wheel says strange. what have you done to the rear end to handle this kind of torque? looks like you are runnin a 4 link rear suspension from the rear end photo you posted? have you converted this car to a solid axle rear end? if so i assume you have found a way to put in a automatic tranny? if so i assume that you are runnin a built turbo 350 or turbo 400?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
car looks mean. in your sig it says:

2002 Twin Turbo 346 Z06 1016 rwhp / 950 rwtq
9.87 @ 145 mph

Is that before this setup your showing us now, or is that using this setup?

Was that vette originally a Z06? I would figure all that custom stuff could have been done to a standard C5 and you would end up with the same results, no?

Either way, looks kick ass and hope you enjoy it... I wouldnt want to run into you on the highway.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Craig201MPH said:
why people drag race cars meant to go around corners is beyond me.
Kind of like Chad building a 7 second Viper? It's the same principle. I didn't wake up one morning and thought "I'm going to buy a Z06 and drag race it." I bought the car, tried drag racing, got hooked, started modding and never stopped.

This car was breaking, on average, every 7 runs last year. It was becoming too expensive to continue running 6-speed and IRS. 6-speed Vipers tend to stay together longer because both, the clutch and the tranny, are in front. So I decided to convert the car to an auto (2-speed Powerglide because T350 or T400 required too much modification) and solid rear (12 bolt). I'm running M/T ET Drags 26 X 11.5 in the back. Not only will these mods allow me to use most of the hp that the car is putting out, they'll also make the car a lot more consistent, reliable, and safe.

The numbers in my sig were achieved last year when the car was still 6-speed and with IRS.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Paul - you have one of the baddest Z06's on the planet that is for sure. what makes it even more trick is the fact that you are making over 1000 rwhp on the stock 346 cubic inch displacement. if you run some stock appearing but wider wheels and drag radials on the street that car would make for the ultimate sleeper. i own a Z06 and a viper too. but the types of paths i have taken for my cars is much different than you. i use my Z06 as a daily driver and street racer. i will be using my viper next year for road racing and 1 mile top speed shootouts. i have a year 2001 camaro SS that i use for drag racing

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fast Freddy said:
Paul - you have one of the baddest Z06's on the planet that is for sure. what makes it even more trick is the fact that you are making over 1000 rwhp on the stock 346 cubic inch displacement. if you run some stock appearing but wider wheels and drag radials on the street that car would make for the ultimate sleeper. i own a Z06 and a viper too. but the types of paths i have taken for my cars is much different than you. i use my Z06 as a daily driver and street racer. i will be using my viper next year for road racing and 1 mile top speed shootouts. i have a year 2001 camaro SS that i use for drag racing
Thanks, man. You must've been reading one of my posts on a Corvette forum because I just said that I'm thinking of buying another set of rear wheels and mounting DOT tires on them for street use. I don't even think I'd change the size. M/T makes a drag radial in the exact same size as this ET Drag slick.

We'll see what happens next weekend at the track. Moment of truth.

I always wanted to participate in a mile shootout. Non around here, though.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Paul said:
Kind of like Chad building a 7 second Viper? It's the same principle. I didn't wake up one morning and thought "I'm going to buy a Z06 and drag race it." I bought the car, tried drag racing, got hooked, started modding and never stopped.

This car was breaking, on average, every 7 runs last year. It was becoming too expensive to continue running 6-speed and IRS. 6-speed Vipers tend to stay together longer because both, the clutch and the tranny, are in front. So I decided to convert the car to an auto (2-speed Powerglide because T350 or T400 required too much modification) and solid rear (12 bolt). I'm running M/T ET Drags 26 X 11.5 in the back. Not only will these mods allow me to use most of the hp that the car is putting out, they'll also make the car a lot more consistent, reliable, and safe.

The numbers in my sig were achieved last year when the car was still 6-speed and with IRS.

I'm not knocking it, just seems strange to take a car meant for a road course and do nothing but go straight with it. I mean if you're only concerned with going fast in a straight line why not start with a solid $5,000 mustang????

As soon as you take out the IRS and stock tranny it's so much an accomplishment of modding the stock configuration with the car as much as it is a purpose built drag car with Z06 skin. It's like all the idiots that think sir hiss is the "fastest Viper" to me that car is an abomination.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Paul said:
Kind of like Chad building a 7 second Viper? It's the same principle.
How do you figure that? With a change of wheels and shock settings chads car will road race very very well. How do you compare a 2spd, solid axle, drag track only brake equiped car to one that runs on stock type suspension, 4 spd auto, big ass road race brakes, and has a killer stereo. Seems like a huge waste of $$ IMO. Would have been cheaper to build a tube chassi the way you want, slap a vette body on it and go.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
i like how the these twos cars add dont add up to the money paul spends on gas a year and there gonna bash him. the answer you goofy fucks is that when you have the money you can do what ever the fuck you want whenever you want.

·
Registered
444 Posts
mplv said:
i like how the these twos cars add dont add up to the money paul spends on gas a year and there gonna bash him. the answer you goofy fucks is that when you have the money you can do what ever the fuck you want whenever you want.
Thats true and also shows just how stupid some people really are. Sure Krazy could make a 1200hp 9 sec solid axle 2 spd BMW 745 but it would be a total fucking waste, whats the point? To prove you have more money than brains, k point taken :fist:

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
the point is you will never understand. why would you want to go eat a 40 dollar steak when you could get just as full for 5 bucks at mcdonalds? BECAUSE YOU CAN. people get enjoyment from things and because you cant enjoy them they are deemed a total waste. if krazy wanted to build that 745 and crash it into a tree just to jump out and laugh at it because it made him happy so fucking be it

·
Registered
670 Posts
mplv said:
the point is you will never understand. why would you want to go eat a 40 dollar steak when you could get just as full for 5 bucks at mcdonalds? BECAUSE YOU CAN. people get enjoyment from things and because you cant enjoy them they are deemed a total waste. if krazy wanted to build that 745 and crash it into a tree just to jump out and laugh at it because it made him happy so fucking be it
:jerry: :redbeard:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Craig201MPH said:
I'm not knocking it, just seems strange to take a car meant for a road course and do nothing but go straight with it. I mean if you're only concerned with going fast in a straight line why not start with a solid $5,000 mustang????

As soon as you take out the IRS and stock tranny it's so much an accomplishment of modding the stock configuration with the car as much as it is a purpose built drag car with Z06 skin. It's like all the idiots that think sir hiss is the "fastest Viper" to me that car is an abomination.

First of all, you totally missed what I said in my previous post. I DID NOT buy this car with the intention of building a purpose drag car. It eveolved to this point. Besides, I'm not a Ford or F body fan so I wouldn't build on those platforms anyway. I don't know if you've ever taken on a project like this. If you have, then I'm surprised that you're suprised. If you haven't then you have no clue how addictive this is.

Second, what makes you think this car can only go straight? I'm buying another set of wheels with DOT tires so I can run the car on the street. My car hasn't been tubbed, it has FULL interior (including the stereo and a/c), and has retained street exterior appearance. Besides the solid rear, what makes my setup different than Chad's? Chad runs a T400 which wouldn't fit into my car without MAJOR modification.

I made the decision to go with a solid rear and auto trans because the car was too unreliable. If I had an unlimited budget for repairs, maybe I'd stick with IRS and 6-speed.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
acrdakota said:
How do you figure that? With a change of wheels and shock settings chads car will road race very very well. How do you compare a 2spd, solid axle, drag track only brake equiped car to one that runs on stock type suspension, 4 spd auto, big ass road race brakes, and has a killer stereo. Seems like a huge waste of $$ IMO. Would have been cheaper to build a tube chassi the way you want, slap a vette body on it and go.
See my post above. How do you make a statement like that having never seen my car in person? I wasn't aware Chad's car is a 4 speed. You sure about that?

What some of you fail to see is that ANY car that's putting out 1000+ hp is no longer in a "street" or "stock" form. It CAN'T be if you're even remotely serious about racing. You don't build a car like that for daily driving. Any way you look at it, it's a purpose-built car. Have you ever heard Heff or Chad say "we built this car so we can road race one day and drag race another day?" I don't think so. Unless you've built a car like that, you haven't got a fucking clue what's involved. The information you get from forum posts is a fraction of a fraction of what it takes to compete a project like that.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Paul said:
First of all, you totally missed what I said in my previous post. I DID NOT buy this car with the intention of building a purpose drag car. It eveolved to this point. Besides, I'm not a Ford or F body fan so I wouldn't build on those platforms anyway. I don't know if you've ever taken on a project like this. If you have, then I'm surprised that you're suprised. If you haven't then you have no clue how addictive this is.

Second, what makes you think this car can only go straight? I'm buying another set of wheels with DOT tires so I can run the car on the street. My car hasn't been tubbed, it has FULL interior (including the stereo and a/c), and has retained street exterior appearance. Besides the solid rear, what makes my setup different than Chad's? Chad runs a T400 which wouldn't fit into my car without MAJOR modification.

I made the decision to go with a solid rear and auto trans because the car was too unreliable. If I had an unlimited budget for repairs, maybe I'd stick with IRS and 6-speed.

I'm not hating on it just said that you would get better results for less cash with something else. I dunno to me drag racing is kinda like nascar, jsut not my thing.

Yes your car will be able to turn corners but with an automatic that's pretty boring.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.