Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the road when the temp guage soared from 200 to 260 for no reason at all, no noises no nothing I just simply caught a glimpse of the rapidly moving temp needle. I quickly throw the heater on full blast to let loose some more radiator fluid, it drops the temp down to maybe 240 I am driving 55 to 60 mph downhill then all of a sudden it rockets way up bells and whistles start to go off I pull over and shut her down. Pop the hood check for obstructions to the radiator nothing, the coolant is boiling in the recovery tank pissing and moaning the car sits and groans. I wait 30 to 40 mins I try to start it it barely turns over and made a sound similiar to a diesel running on one cylinder out of 8 possible. To the flatbed Batman, the Dodge dealer is called.

So far they are replacing the heads they may do a cam swap for me at n/c to the new Dodge HP cam through Mopar division with full warranty but we are still in limbo for sure. What ever went wrong it went terribly wrong fast.

·
Senior Slacker
1,957 Posts
Is it an '03 or an '04? I know of a few that have had the harmonic balancer come loose. Don't know if the eventual destruction would lead to that kind of symptom or not. Sorry to hear of your plight!

Oh yeah, and if they are taking the motor apart, is it going to Arrow or has your Dodge dealer been approved to do the work? That might be interesting...

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
I know that the '03s have a recall to remedy a cooling problem. Something about a check ball in the hydraulic system to the cooling fan. I just received the official notice for that and the headlight issue on my '03 (which I only owned for 2 weeks) last week.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well finally got her back. They could not find the cooling problem yet it sucked 3 valves and a broken valve spring is what they told me. They ended up replacing both heads it runs good and no cooling problems for the past week. Hell they hardly even scratched the car but a few times. :doh: Nothing a little wet sanding and shoe polish on the seats wouldn't fix so I did it myself rather than let them "F" it up some more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.