Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after repairs for some damage and minor defects Joe (Performance By Joe) Donovan and Denny from Race Tested www.racetested.com got my silver sled running pretty good. we hit the limit with the stock fuel system, the cam is the wrong size, and the stock pistons just cant take any more load but despite all this we ended up with...725RWHP/1072RWTQ on the bottle.

we have the nitrous system operating at roughly 50% its capacity so there is plenty more left in it when the car itself can accept it and handle it! 900RWHP and 1200+RWTQ is a safe in the future.

the race tested nitrous system is definitely able to hang with the more wellknown versions (NX, NOS, etc). those who know my story with this system know ive had a bear of a time getting it to where it should be, from the pathetic initial install by some dumbfucks in chicago to the ongoing problems with tuning and function. Denny stepped up to the plate and actually drove to St Louis with only a few hours notice to work with Joe in getting things right this past weekend. that is the ultimate in customer service and says alot about someone. if you are considering nitrous and want what it takes to win races (torque) this system makes a shitload, period.

if the driver can do his job, there is no reason this silver RT10 wont join the nine second club come bradenton december 12th! /images/graemlins/drive

· Registered
3,488 Posts
V10 MOJO said:
after repairs for some damage and minor defects Joe (Performance By Joe) Donovan and Denny from Race Tested www.racetested.com got my silver sled running pretty good. we hit the limit with the stock fuel system, the cam is the wrong size, and the stock pistons just cant take any more load but despite all this we ended up with...725RWHP/1072RWTQ on the bottle.

we have the nitrous system operating at roughly 50% its capacity so there is plenty more left in it when the car itself can accept it and handle it! 900RWHP and 1200+RWTQ is a safe in the future.

the race tested nitrous system is definitely able to hang with the more wellknown versions (NX, NOS, etc). those who know my story with this system know ive had a bear of a time getting it to where it should be, from the pathetic initial install by some dumbfucks in chicago to the ongoing problems with tuning and function. Denny stepped up to the plate and actually drove to St Louis with only a few hours notice to work with Joe in getting things right this past weekend. that is the ultimate in customer service and says alot about someone.

if the driver can do his job, there is no reason this silver RT10 wont join the nine second club come bradenton december 12th! /images/graemlins/drive
Oh yeah, well have you seen my LED purge system... :rofl: :rofl: :bowdown:

Your car is sick..I can't wait to see it in Bradenton.

· Registered
3,847 Posts
I'm glad that bitch is finaly running the way you were hoping it would.

Good luck with all that torque! /images/graemlins/drive

Do you have numbers without juice? I assume this is with your new cam too.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chad; i wish, problem is the local tracks are closed for season and im too damn busy with business to travel south this wekend like i was going to do. ill just have to put in mondo run at bradenton on saturday. see you there bro. im hoping im "honored" with a righteous ride in that beast of yours.

· Registered
426 Posts
WOW!!!!!

Congratulations.
I remember when you were checking out my Racetested Kit at the first Bradenton race.

I have not had time to mess with my kit due to work schedule, but I will call you when I get back to fiddling around with it. It sounds like you have it down perfect......

Awesome numbers,
Jason

· Registered
5,085 Posts
V10 MOJO said:
chad; i wish, problem is the local tracks are closed for season and im too damn busy with business to travel south this wekend like i was going to do. ill just have to put in mondo run at bradenton on saturday. see you there bro. im hoping im "honored" with a righteous ride in that beast of yours.
That's too bad. Busy at work pays for the toys though.

Be careful with that thing and I'll see you at the show.

· Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Rich. A little nicer than a few days ago when the nitrous system wasn't working to well. LOL All is well now, so life goes on.

Jason,
I learned from Joe (Performance by Joe) that his tuning and the vec computer help greatly. The initial high a/f ratio and off the charts rich in the upper rpms is costing you a lot of power and torque. This can all be corrected with a piggyback computer. The new Maximiser progressive unit allows quite a bit of fine tuning also, but I don't think we could get as flat of an a/f curve as the vec can. The progressive is mainly for safer and better nitrous delivery for optimal acceleration, with added functions to make adjustments at the beginning and end of the a/f, but the middle would be tough.

· Registered
3,318 Posts
The "initialhigh a/f" the gentleman above is describing sounds like the samee thing I was experiencing.

Is this fairly common with nitrous for those who have logged their a/f?

I have the VEC2 on my car as well and have dumped a shitload of fuel prior to the nitrous hitting and it has helped tremendously.

John

ps - great work Joe and Rich you suck ass if you don't run a 9 in Bradenton! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

· Registered
105 Posts
John,
We have addressed the initial lean out a bit better as we jet at the solenoid outlet and not the injector. This slows the nitrous down a bit so the initial lean out is not as bad until the fuel catches up compared to other kits. This problem is inevitable on all kits as the nitrous is under much more pressure than the fuel, and will always reach the motor first.

The problem is to keep this more controlled, you need to jet a bit heavier and then your high rpm a/f starts to run very rich. We start to chase our tail here by giving up hp to stay safe. Our progressive controller can help a bit, but not as good as using the factory injectors to fine tune through a piggyback computer.

As far as the proper tuning with the VEC, I will let Joe answer any questions. I'm not sure if he is a genius, but he knows the basic principles to make good power and this is more important than anything. I will enjoy working with him in the future, as we work on the same wavelength and have some good knowledge between us to be dangerous with a nitrous Viper. :nod:

· Registered
3,318 Posts
thank you for the response. I am currently activating with a window switch at 3100 rpms so at 3000 rpms I am adding an additional 13 to 15 milliseconds for a duration of 250 rpms and that sofar has brought my a/f down into a safe range during the initial hit. After that it is static around 11.7 with this cooler weather.

John

· Registered
105 Posts
Another thing to consider is the torque loss you are giving up with a higher a/f at lower rpms.

Why do you use a window switch? You could be utilizing much more torque below 3,000 rpm if your car can handle it. As long as you are in the proper gear, your motor will rev fast enough when injecing nitrous, to never worry about injecting to soon. Consider this, when injecting nitrous you are just adding more oxygen to burn more fuel which is no different than opening your throttle more. People have no problem stomping on the throttle when launching but they are afraid to add nitrous the same way. If adding correctly you could add nitrous at idle if wanted. The reason nitrous makes such a good WOT power adder is because there is no point in adding nitrous that costs money sooner, when you have FREE air to ultilize yet. Nitrous is not added before WOT because it's dangerous as many are led to believe. Nitrous is dangerous if the motor is in a wrong gear and lagging. The cylinder pressures then rise to fast as the motor is not revving fast enough to release this pressure, and parts break.

· Registered
105 Posts
J DAWG said:
thank you for the response. I am currently activating with a window switch at 3100 rpms so at 3000 rpms I am adding an additional 13 to 15 milliseconds for a duration of 250 rpms and that sofar has brought my a/f down into a safe range during the initial hit. After that it is static around 11.7 with this cooler weather.

John
When you say static with cooler weather. What do you mean? Nitrous a/f is controlled by bottle pressure which can fluctuate depending on ambient temps. The bottle pressure can rise if the car is heated for a period of time if the bottles are exposed to this heat.

· Premium Member
4,903 Posts
Congrats Rich !! I look forward to seeing your 9 second pass in Fl :nod:

· Registered
3,318 Posts
racetested said:
J DAWG said:

John
When you say static with cooler weather. What do you mean? Nitrous a/f is controlled by bottle pressure which can fluctuate depending on ambient temps. The bottle pressure can rise if the car is heated for a period of time if the bottles are exposed to this heat.

Since the cooler weather has set in, my a/f has gone up from 11.0:1 to 11.7:1 on nitrous across the entire rpm range(static over this area) after the initial hit. My bottle pressure is only 950 when it hits(at least I do my best to keep it constant).

I have noticed in general my car (without nitrous) has required much more fuel since the ambient temps have fallen(which I expected), so I just "assumed" the rise in a/f on nitrous was related to the same principle and not jus bottle pressure.

Thanks for your input and discussion
John

· Registered
3,318 Posts
ps - I have not yet tuned with a dyno, just been logging a/f's with my wideband and adjusting with the VEC2. My car is essentially identical to Rich's except I have cast pistons and .........well.......

it looks a hell of alot better than his silver bucket. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

· Registered
105 Posts
A wet nitrous kit is metered by the jets, fuel pressure, and nitrous pressure.

The piggyback settings and any ECU can affect a/f when using nitrous also if your injector duty cycle is altered. An ECU can play tricks and there is no definite as to why the nitrous/fuel ratio may change when conditions change, etc. We have therories, but we are not sure which ones apply to which application and to what extent.

Your wideband is a good idea, but do plugs checks also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.