Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know I went to bowling to race my viper and the engine decided it was time to give up. Anyway, John Hennessey was kind enough to take my car to Dallas where my dad lives. My dad was kind enough to tear the engine apart and find out what was wrong with it. We figured that we would have more options in dallas than utah for engine shop etc.

My dad took the engine apart and found that a valve guide broke and took a tour of my engine. It damaged several pistons and corresponding combustion chambers. It did not damage any cylinder walls. I am going to replace the pistons, replace valve guides, and do a valve job. THe valve guide broke because the head guy used cast iron guides instead of the brass ones.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I know a great place that is local and cheap. They built the motor for my R/T, and did a great job. PM me if you'd like the info.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
sorry to hear the engine was such a mess, its amazing what a little part can do when it gets loose - but it is good to know the cause was found and that the fix is clear.

good luck on the new engine with BRONZE valve guides

·
Registered
416 Posts
You would never know how insignificant a small part can be until it fails and turns into a major catastrophy......

I'm glad I got the Jeff Mory's heads with bronze guides.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yellow Fever
I am currently planning on replacing the rods and pistons. There was no damage to the bottom end so I probably won't be doing anything there. I am guessing I will probably be down for a month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts