Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to the dragstrip plenty of times, but it has always been on street tires(with the exception of taking my old Cobra to the local 1/8th mile on slicks twice 6 years ago) and with half of the power I am making now. I want to participate in the Nationals, but I don't want to show up unprepared, so I decided to get a little pratice in.

I learned at the last minute that there was going to be a track day in Bradenton. I decided to sign up, because I knew it would take a little time to get the car dialed in and get a good starting point for all of my AEM and tire pressure settings. We get to the track, and get the car unloaded and all of our stuff set up. We set the tire pressure and got ready to make a shake down pass. That's when I learn that my car is burn out challenged. I don't have a line lock, so I have to power brake it. Well, those little skinnies just didn't seem to have what it took to hold the damn car still so I could roast the rears for a few seconds.(I found out later in the day what I was doing wrong, but more on that later) I would pop the clutch and switch my left foot over to the brake(like I have done plenty of times on the street) but the damn ass end would start to slide off to one side or the other pointing me about 45 degrees to the left or the right. Obviously I would have to let out, and the tires were simply not hot enough. On the first pass I decided to just ease it off of the line, and get a feel for it. I took off really easy and got into it a little late. I was pleased to see that the car clicked off a 10.4 @ 143.5.

The next two runs were some trial and error runs where I was trying to find my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to drag racing. They resulted in an aborted run(because I blew the launch) and another 10.4 (spinning the tires).

The fourth pass was the best of the day. I got another pitiful burnout, but I left the line with a smaller amount of tire spin. It resulted in a 1.65 60ft(aweful... I know, give me a break) and a 10.07 @ 145.34. This was when the track really started getting hot.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO OF 10.07 PASS

I backed that run up with another pitiful burnout and a 1.7 60ft that resulted in a 10.17 @ 144.30. I was getting frustrated. I knew that this car had a lot more in it, but I was having a hard time findind the extra 10ths. Just after this pass we stopped 30 minutes for lunch(at about 1:00pm).

After lunch, there was no traction to be found. I ran a 10.24 @ 144.55 feathering the throttle in 1st. I backed that up with a run that I hazed the tires in the first three gears and ran a 10.3 @ 144.3.

CLICK HERE FOR THAT VIDEO

This was about the time I finally learned what I was doing wrong on the damn burnout. We finally figured out that I was taking too much time to move my left foot from releasing the clutch to hitting the brake pedal. The car would get a little forward momentum and the skinnies just couldn't bring the car to a stop. This resulted in the slicks simply dragging the car forward, or to one side. I made the transition as quickly as I could, and it worked. It looked like I was using a line lock. I was finally able to get a good burnout. Unfortunately, IMO, the track had gone south and the conditions were not there.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO OF THE GOOD BURNOUT

I heard the guy with the red SRT-10 say that he has been to this track several times, and his best run in the past was an 11.8. He said the best he could get this day was a 12.80, and that he was down about 8mph. I talked to a couple of other people there who observed similar results.

So there it is. At the end of the day, the car ran flawlessly, nothing broke, and we made it home in one piece. I was hoping for better times, but I know it probably takes a little time to get it down. I learned a lot about my car, and the techniques needed to become a competitive drag racer. There were a couple of moments when I thought,"maybe I should just stick to roll-ons", but I realized that it is probably not common to go out and hit it out of the park the first time out. It takes a little practice.

I want to thank Ward for going out of his way to help everyone out. :thumb: He did a great job keeping everyone in the loop. I want to thank Germaine, Tina, John, and Ryan for helping with the filming and setup. Chad was a huge help giving me advice, and showing me the ropes. Thanks a lot man :thumb:.

I think the event was great. The racing was cool, but I enjoyed being around the viper guys even more. Larry Macedo was a really cool guy (he even shared some of his KFC at the track). John Canal was an SOB at the go cart track, but he was pretty cool in the end. :fist: :rofl:

I have to say that I now have tons of respect for the racers on this site.(Chad, Tony, Ward, JasonH, ScottW, etc.) :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: It isn't as easy as it looks. I hope to be at that level soon. I guess it will come in time.

Here are a couple of other cool views...

CLICK HERE FOR DRIVER CAM

CLICK HERE FOR FORWARD VIEW

[image]http://www.garyjavo.com/images/pictures/DRAGSTRIPLEARNINGCURVE/1.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.garyjavo.com/images/pictures/DRAGSTRIPLEARNINGCURVE/2.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.garyjavo.com/images/pictures/DRAGSTRIPLEARNINGCURVE/3.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.garyjavo.com/images/pictures/DRAGSTRIPLEARNINGCURVE/4.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.garyjavo.com/images/pictures/DRAGSTRIPLEARNINGCURVE/5.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.garyjavo.com/images/pictures/DRAGSTRIPLEARNINGCURVE/6.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.garyjavo.com/images/pictures/DRAGSTRIPLEARNINGCURVE/7.jpg[/image]
We saw this sign on the way down and I thought it was pretty funny...
[image]http://www.garyjavo.com/images/pictures/DRAGSTRIPLEARNINGCURVE/8.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
292 Posts
Damn.. Nice Video. :bowdown:

Congrats on GETTING to the track and making some nice runs. You see a lot of BIG dyno numbers and talkers but the bullshit stops at the dragstrip. I respect anyone who's not afraid to lay it out - you just need some seat time. Besides, your car is fast as hell and it looks like your having a good time with it.

My :twocents:...
Launching a big horsepower viper is a controlled explosion. If you get too aggressive, excited or stiff - you'll break something or overwhelm those little slicks. Too slow or too soft, you’ll bog and run a “supra like” ET with big MPH. To get the right balance of throttle/clutch/tire pressure/boost is gonna take some practice. Once you find the balance and a sticky track, you'll get the numbers. The big turbo car is going to spool quick - so I'd imagine you'll have to get the clutch out quick or it's toast. You'll also need some RPM to avoid bogging since you can't ride the clutch out.
Maybe Chad could share some AEM launch control secrets? :smiles:

Anyway, no advice will make up for practice and seat time. The car looked good, sounded killer and the runs were clean.
Just take it back and keep pushing..
ScottW

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Like I told you at the track, you did great. You are smooth and stay calm which are paramount in a big power car.

How many 145+ mph car owners even drive their own cars? You'll knock it out of the park soon enough and a well prepped track will help tremendously with your power and tiny tires.

:thumb:

As for the AEM TC help, you're on your own, beotch. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
how do you go 1-150 in 10 sec on the street on 20's then have probs at the track? Were you using a different setting on the aem or what? The numbers are still impressive but Im just curious about that, I know you may have launched harder etc. Congrats on the times though, they will only get better

·
Registered
982 Posts
00SVTdubs said:
how do you go 1-150 in 10 sec on the street on 20's then have probs at the track? Were you using a different setting on the aem or what? The numbers are still impressive but Im just curious about that, I know you may have launched harder etc. Congrats on the times though, they will only get better
Have to rememebr the speed at the track is a trap speed. It is a average over the last 60' of the track. Your instantaneous mph (or actuall speed you are going when you cross the finish line, i.e what your speedo reads) will be several mph faster. Don[t believe me? Next time you're at the track look at your speedo as you cross the finish line, I guarantee that your trap speed will be several mph slower than what your speedo was reading.

·
Registered
982 Posts
oh,
WTG Gary,
Now once the SRT TT is home, you'll have to take it to the track. then superimpose one video over the other so it looks like they are racing each other and you are driving both at the same time....

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I gotcha... were you having a lot of trac probs in 1st gear Gary? It would have been nice to see what she would have done just rolling out and actually hooking rather than trying to launch up in the higher rpm's. Either way, great job for the first time out there.... that is damn impressive and you are sure a great driver. I just watched that incar/driver video, really nice!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
00SVTdubs said:
Well, the best answer to that is, I'm not sure. The day I made the bike race vid, it was in the high 60's. Tom's explination could also have something to do with it. I did notice that when I took the CL600 to the track, my speedo was around 120mph through the traps, but the slip only showed 110mph. I know that there were two SRT-10s there. One was the red one, that the owner was saying was down on MPH and ET compared to other days, and the other was the white one, who's is a friend of mine's car. He was getting pretty good by the end of the day, and he could still only muster a 12.7 @ 110mph. I think Chad also said his CL55 was down 7 or 8 MPH from what it usually runs. Does any of that have anything to do with my runs??? I dunno... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

What I do know is that on this day, in these conditions, this is what I ran, and that's that. Next time I expect to do better. That's racing.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I agree, the weather/conditions do play a large role. I ran 12.20's all day with my car at 453rwhp then went to a new track and went 11.7's all day.

Im sure you will get into the 9's with no problem next time out, you did great the first time for sure. I cant wait for more of your in car vids!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
was boost the same in each gear this time of was it gradually increasing per gear? Do you mind telling what psi this was done at Gary, Im just curious. Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
First of all CONGRATS on your 10.07! :nod: Second damn near running 9's in a full weight 6speed street car on it's first outing is AMAZING! :thumb: I'm sure 9's (deep into the 9's I'm sure) are just around the corner for you.

Last thing, your LX470 is SWEET! :cool:

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TRDSupra said:
First of all CONGRATS on your 10.07! :nod: Second damn near running 9's in a full weight 6speed street car on it's first outing is AMAZING! :thumb: I'm sure 9's (deep into the 9's I'm sure) are just around the corner for you.

Last thing, your LX470 is SWEET! :cool:
Thanks for the support. :cool: I'm glad you like the 470. BTW I was really surprised how well it pulled the enclosed trailer. I was maintaining 75-85MPH most of the way.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Congratulations on your passes.It looks like your car is making consistent power and is well tuned. Like others have stated, practice is key.I would imagine a big power turbo car would pick up at least 5mph with better air.First time out and damn near running a 9 sec. et on a less than ideal day is definitiely something to be proud of.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You did a great job Gary. You will undoubtedly get the car in the 9's. It can certainly be tricky trying to get a turbo car down the track on 26 inch tires but with a little practice you'll be driving that thing like a pro. Sorry I wasn't more helpful on Sunday but there's only so much that can be done over the phone.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.