Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A HUGE thanks goes out to D.W., (David Weaver) for building and tuning my car. It is a 97 with the Paxton kit controlled by the VecII and making 9-10 lbs of boost. D.W. got together with Chris Johnson at P.M. motorsports, http://www.performance-motorsports.com and they came up with a monstor fuel system to supply the fuel. Chris has the system available. My car has R.C. injectors, west coast viper rails, B&B headers and header back exhaust and stock heads and rockers. The car has plenty of fuel and I could get way more power with added boost, but this is good for now. Good power and a nice safe A/F ratio were what I asked D.W. for and he delivered. :thumb:

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
I like the tq number....666 Great numbers. Looking at the dyno graph...the power comes on real smooth. Nice. I'm jelous, I can't wait till I can mod my little-ol-acr.

·
Premium Member
19,650 Posts
viper spray said:
So , looking at the graph , what would be the best rpm to shift, at the drag strip?
My opinion would be 5500-5700. You have a real sweet looking car too :thumb: :thumb:

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
6400 to 6500rpm but not past 6500. You always want to shift AFTER your peak power. For your car I'd try 300rpm to 400rpm after peak power because of how fast it seems power drops off after the peak. Alot of it has to do with the gearing. Where will the rpms be after each shift? Play with it and see at what rpms you need to shift at to stay with in 85% of peak power. I would try to stay close to 4500rpms. The great thing about the viper is it's tq. If you short shift a tad it's not that big of a deal. Something I try to keep in mind is take your peak power X it by .85 For you it comes out to be 595. So looking at your dyno graph try not to drop below 4300-4500rpm. You have to try and find the balance between:

1.) How high you can rev (vipers don't do well after 6500),
2.) Where peak power is (6100rpm)
3.) Gearing (aka rpm drop after a shift)
4.) Try to stay near the 85% of power peak...90% if gearing allows it. But the best would be a CVT tranny...but we don't have that option :wink:

Good Luck. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Spray, congrats!!!! :thumb: You definitely have the complete package with that type of power!! :nod:
================================================================================
2003 SRT-HEFFNER TWINTURBO "1040RWHP&1135RWTQ"
1999 DIABLO VT-HEFFNER TWIN SUPERCHARGED "620hp&740tq"
2005 MERCEDES CL65-HEFFNER MODIFIED&TUNED "650HP&830TQ"
2005 MURCIELAGO ROADSTER-HEFFNER SOON TO BE TWINTURBOED
2005 AUDI A8 (STOCK WITH THE EXCEPTION OF 20INCH HRE'S)
2003 HUMMER H2 HEFFNER WHIPPLECHARGED/6SPEED TRANSMISSION CONVERSION
2004 PORSCHE 996 TT CAB (SOLD)
2006 CLS 55
2005 T REX

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
If I ever get to finishing my cog pulley/water inj. Roe we can run, Roe vs. Paxton. Congrats to you and David, you got a sweet ride! :thumb:

Edited so people other than Viperspray got my meaning....

·
Registered
19,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
This low restriction filter and air duct that DLM helped me with was much better than the restrictive stock Paxton K&N with the rubber elbow as seen in the pic above. :nod:

·
Registered
19,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Evilz_ACR said:
AFR a little leaner? How much did you guys end up retarding from max timing??
We upped the boost a couple of pounds from the stock
paxton pulley because we had the fuel to go with it. D.W. was adding and taking out a degree of timing where needed at different RPM levels. The VEC II is really coming around with the new updates and logging capabilities , we can run a laptop in the car while driving get some real world data and log it now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.