Viper Alley banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Landscaping Professional
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My tribulations have been well chronicled here over several years. It has taken a lot of patience to get things together and sorted out, but it has been running very, very well for about the last week! I'm getting close to 500 miles on the motor, but it has taken over 2 months to do that with multiple transmission & shifter issues, weather, ignition/fuel issues, discovering a bad spherical bearing on one of my wishbones, etc, etc. About the last major thing I have to resolve is my windshield wiper motor synch problems. I'm having to drive with only the driver's side operational at the moment, but we've had some gorgeous weather in South Texas lately and I've been stretching my trips out a few miles at a time getting comfortable.

The motor pulls seriously harder from about 3500 rpm up to my 5k rev limit on break-in. The Gen3 rockers make noticeably more metallic noise under the covers than the stamped rockers. The headers and HF cats make the 708 cam really rumpity-rump at idle, and the x-pipe howls magically at the upper levels! I still have the stock resonators in the sills and they make for the perfect setup for my battered ear drums until I'm hard on the gas.

I'm just about ready to do my first oil change and open up the filter for an inspection. I've used 1qt in 400 miles, so the rings are still seating. I plan to install my 10 quart pan and new trap doors when the oil gets changed in the next week or two. I still need to get my header insulation done before I hit the track, but that's coming along in a couple of weeks. Once the rings seat fully, I'll dyno the car and get Dan Lesser to put a tune in my spare JTEC.

One of the most impressive combos I did was going to the IPSCO swaybar brackets/bushings and TKO adjustable end link setup. I set the ride heights and alignments up with 175# in the driver's seat, then nulled the swaybars. My Penske triples were an ABSOLUTELY HUGE performance improvement 20 years ago, but going now to urethane upper wishbone bushings with the previous spherical lowers, along with the swaybar upgrades just brought the handling into an entirely new dimension of responsiveness. I'm actually having to back off the previous damper settings a good bit for street use.

Attachments

Reactions: XS TORQ

·
Registered
22,888 Posts
Awesome dean. And about damn time !

·
Sexist
43,336 Posts
Really appreciate your documenting all this for us Dean. Great job. Keep 'em coming. Inspiring me to get on my GTS.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Glad you have some seat time vs wrench time. I would also like to thank you for documenting the build/rebuild. Great content and informative.

·
Landscaping Professional
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My OEM spec MXX3 tires are pretty old and hard, but they have no cracks at all and lots of tread depth on them. The motor can spin them from a roll in second from about 4k on up. I've got a bad flat spot on one of the rears from a sticky caliper piston years ago. I'm going to a shop in SA that can "true" them with a rotary knife on an adjustable fixture. They get the car or truck on stands, then wedge a low speed electric motor setup against the tire to spin it while the technician traverses the knife along the tire profile and peels black spaghetti until equal to the low spot. Then they spin-balance the tires on the car for a perfect ride. It costs about $25 per corner, but worth every penny.

Once that's done, the newly exposed rubber will have more bite. I'll then roll a few coats of Track Claw on the tires, drive a couple of weeks, then remove and bag them. Maybe someone will want them for a resto project some day. I have a full set of new PS2s ready to go on when the MXX3s come off.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Glad to hear you've got just about all the bugs worked out of it. That tire and balance procedure for $25 a wheel sounds like a great deal.

·
Premium Member
18,973 Posts
Great to hear Dean, If possible, put the original links up in the first post so people can look thru your whole story in one thread.

That said, time to hit the track, and enjoy the car while you can. I think in a few years our cars will be outlawed, no longer allowed to drive them/

·
Sexist
43,336 Posts
My OEM spec MXX3 tires are pretty old and hard,
Dean, don't you know that if you drive on old tires the car will automatically flip upside down and burst into flames? I thought everybody knew that.

Sarcasm aside, I know what you're doing. Glad you're getting it back on the road.

·
Gone Nomad
6,049 Posts
Very nice Dean, such an iconic car that needs to be enjoyed. Probably the only Viper that will really retain value and status moving forward.

Have you considered moving to a modern wheel and tire combo? There have been some updates in tech that allow for a lighter setup and you know how much a difference that can make. Also, I have the PS4s on the merc and they really are better than the PS2s.

·
Landscaping Professional
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Doc - I have thought about it, but I already own the wheels. I have 2 sets of CCW track wheels (17 & 18) and another set of 96 RT track wheels. My piggy bank is pretty light at this time, so it's just tires, gas and entry fees for a while!

Chuck - you know better than anyone how tuned in we are to tire inspection, maintenance and driving limits based on age, wear and heat cycles. A few of us around here can drive safely on nearly anything that will hold air. It all depends.

Mike - I thought about that some last night. Here are the main threads:
https://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/260905-dan-lesser-viper-god.html
https://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/298915-reverse-lockout-solenoid.html
https://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/299479-gen-2-gts-exhaust.html
https://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/296905-hood-fascia-lights-adjustment.html
https://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/301011-puke-can-install.html

·
RMPL
21,462 Posts
Very nice Dean, such an iconic car that needs to be enjoyed. Probably the only Viper that will really retain value and status moving forward.

Have you considered moving to a modern wheel and tire combo? There have been some updates in tech that allow for a lighter setup and you know how much a difference that can make. Also, I have the PS4s on the merc and they really are better than the PS2s.
Doc, he has a much more important upgrade that will lower lap times far more. A skilled driver. :)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Never used oil like that after building a motor. Rings don't take that many miles to seat.

·
Landscaping Professional
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Doc, he has a much more important upgrade that will lower lap times far more. A skilled driver. :)
A Viper Days national class champion.:)

Here's a video of the 708 cam rumpety-rump-rump.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaRepAL_fE&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Before headers, HF cats:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioh2-wx_1JY&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dean, what header insulation are you considering? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and what you end up going with

·
Landscaping Professional
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've already gotten some standard rectangular pieces from Thermal Control Products. I made some aluminum angles to fasten to the upper row of flange bolts. The shields will screw to them and be formed similar to the following pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts